CLI-8 Cartridges, How does the chip really monitor ink?

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The information could be stored in the registry. but if the monitor is inaccurate so to would be the result. I do not have a canon but if information does exist there in any form it would not be hard to extract it and give the result after a correction factor, displaying it on demand or when the level reaches a preset level. This would require some basic programming but would be quite easy to do.

As I said I do not have a Canon its just an angle to examine.
Terry

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
inkMon, I want to thank you on behalf of the many people searching for a working solution to the Canon CLI-8 ink trap. Your solution will be the saving end for those that need, and will, refill their own cartridges. Canon will still enforce their warranty threats, and heaven help the poor guy that takes his printer into a Canon Service center for repair and they discover he has been using other inks.

I have the initial version of your InkMon but have not installed it because I have not started refilling my iP6600 carts yet. I guess I can get the new version at your web site. Thanks again for doing what you are doing.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As I have already replied to you. For others I want it known that the 4 colour version will always be free for home use. I intend to make 4 + colour versions commercial mainly to pay for web hosting. I am using free hosting at the moment and it is very restrictive.

I do not want to tie up this forum with discussions of this so I set up the Inkmon forum with Yahoo for those who wish to monitor their printer. all updates will be available there. as I could not trust a free host.

The new version InkMon4 is monitoring my HP720c. I will not be able to report adjustments for some time yet.

Thats the problem it takes time to gather data.

Actually my name is Terry but Inkmon has a ring to it. I love programming its a hobby, wish I was better at it.

Get Inkmon4 and feed me with data via the forum obviously

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update, one of my astute forum members has found that the trigger program that detects a printout and the control key presses is consuming 50% cpu usage. I use Autohotkey for this and as the script file no problem but as the compiled version it does. Ain't life grand.

There is the possibility of including the Autohotkey in the instalation. Which is completly free to distribute and a handy utility.

The creators of this system have created a product that detects Windows events in the background where other programs require focus to react. I am working on it.

I might add that your computer will not go into a downward cycle and as soon as alt c is pressed the detection software is unloaded untill next start up or the program is activated. there could be work arounds but that would be messy.

I want this software to be the best it can be even though the beta testers are dropping like flys.

I will get there

Terry

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think I have solved it. The modified version is running on my pc ok. the modified file can be downloaded from Inkmon forum files section.

Terry

OpaPiloot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The device denotes "Fusible Link" is a LED and has nohing to do with a fuse.
On all my empty cartridges the gold wire is unaffected.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Trigger 37 said:
Just to add more fuel to the fire,... Yesterday I printed 3 new 8x11 high qualitiy photos. On the seconc print the Canon ink monitor for my iP6600D popped up with "The ink in the Yellow cartridge is very low" (These may not be the exact words) and the picture of the carts showed the yellow low. After the print I opened the cover and took out the yellow cart and the reservoir was half full???? I will contact Canon tech support today about this and see if they know their readings are way off and if they plan to update the print driver.

I also found one other problem. I used the Kirdland heavy weight paper for one of the prints and while the photo was terrific, I saw several lines of tiny railroad tracts in the reflective angle of the print. They were not visible unless you held the paper at an angle to the light. I had another problem with this printer feeding 4x6 photo paper from the bottom cassette, as it would leave some scrach marks on the face of the print. These were also not visible face on but could be sent at an angle. Canon told me to go into the utility and set the printer mode to "Prevent Paper Abrasion" in the custom settings. I did this and then as you print the next photo it gives you a warning that the printer is set to "Prevent Paper Abrasion" and this may affect the quality of the print. I took the suggestion from people on this web site and stopped printing 4x6 photos from the bottom cassette. However, since the Kirkland paper is 10.4 mil thick,.. there is no other way. I'll talk to Canon about both of these.

It seems we all worry about not having the Canon Ink Monitor,... but it has already shown me that it isn't reliable anyway.
Hi Trigger 37, I just signed up and I want to thank you for mentioning about this 'railroad tracts'. I too had these 'railroad tracts' on a few of the photo glossy paper which I printed with my canon printer. At first I couldn't figure out why there was these 'railroad tracts' and what causes or how to prevent them. I thought it comes from the photo glossy papers themselves. But on further observation, none of my other photo glossy papers which I has yet to start printing on them had these railroad tracks. Only those which I had already printed with canon printer have these 'railroad tracts' . The 'railroad tracts' on these printed photo paper is not a pleasant sight even thought it not very visible unless you inspect it closer or be more observant. I just don't feel comfortable that canon printer is doing these to my photo printing.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Just picked up the following post on the printer newsgroup - anyone tried this?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 4 pins on the chip: Vcc, GND, CLK and Data. The GND pin is the
longest one, the second from the left. I put a tape on this GND pin to make
it not contacted, but the cartridge still works fine. The cartridge is
recognized; the red light is on; the printer is still able to write to the
chip (yes, I confirmed this).

I also tried to cut off all the traces to this GND pin (see the picture),
the same.

What's going on? How could any electronics work without a return ground?

http://lh4.google.com/fixup77/R8tZNofu6zI/AAAAAAAAAN0/Sb27A3OO4Q0/s800/IMGP0221.JPG

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
fotofreek,

Here is another closeup of this side (flipped over so that it aligns with the component side). Note that the etch for this contact extends further up onto the PC board, but that the extension is a different color because it is covered with a solder mask. From your photo, it isn't clear that this etch has been completely cut. Have you used an ohmmeter to verify that there is no connection remaining between the gold contact and the upper via?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Grandad - I just copied the post from the printer NG as it was. The photo link was his. Just noted it to see if anyone wished to try tapng over it - either when the cart is new, so it won't write ink use data to the chip, or when empty so the printer doesn't get the empty message. I have zero knowledge of any of the electgronics involved.