CLI-526 TopFill

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
@lin:
These are of the cli-8 with vent and top hole plugged with hot glue.

24+ hours later just before filling the ink chamber and opening the vent

48+ hours later, after filling the ink chamber and opening the vent

After I filled the ink chamber and opened the vent I left the cartridge sit for more than 24 hours and then took the second picture. The sponge did not absorb any more ink because the level of ink in the sponge was above the grooves.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Tudor wrote:

Can you calculate the takeoff speed of a loose 12g cartridge at 2500 rpm and r=95mm?
I think the take off speed will be independent of mass. If the cartridge breaks loose, I think it will follow the tangent and its initial speed will be the rotational speed of the centrifuge.

So using your values you will get V = 2500 x 2 x pi x 95 = 1.49 millions mm/min.

To get more convenient units use revolutions pr second and metres: V = 41.7 x 2 x pi x 0.095 = 24.9 m/s

Multiply this value with 3.6 if you want the result in km/h: V = 24.9 x 3.6 = 89.6 km/h

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

I just did my first ever refill, and it happened to be on 525 and 526 tanks. I did it before finding your handy guide, but at least was able to check I hadn't missed anything important :) ^.

I may be missing something fairly obvious, but in the section below wouldn't it be easier to just say what the target weights with clip in place are for the 'sponge fill' and then 'final fill'?

Tudor said:
3. Refilling:

a. A cartridge with enough ink in the sponge and empty ink chamber weighs 15,8g (without clip). Measure the weight of the cartridge you want to refill ( x grams). In this step you will need to fill with 15,8-x ml of ink and let the cartridge sit for 1-2 minutes.
I had a couple of unopened Canon tanks and had saved the original orange clips from the ones in use, so had worked out a similar weight to the 19.8g in your picture. Actually I used 20g for the 526 and 30g for the 525 'sponge fill', then 23.5g / 40g respectively for final fill (all weights with filling clip in place). Getting these right was just about the most troubling part of learning, so a no-nonsense number would have been very useful and might assist newbies when using your excellent guide.

The main variable I see having to allow for variation in the weight of what is being used to seal the outlet. I'm guessing that most would use the clips, but even if not a simple target weight for the most common methods (just tape; taped original clip; after-market clip?) would seem to be a handy thing.

Very grateful for your guide, so just trying to enhance rather than criticise.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Thank you for your input!

There are many types of clips and methods to close the exit port, so a fixed weight can not be given.
The clips from octoinkjet weigh 3,5g for CLI and 4,9g for PGI. The original clips weigh 1,9g for CLI and 2,6g for PGI, but you have to atach them somehow, so that's an extra weight that is unknown. That's why I gave the weights of an empty CLI, sponge full CLI and full sponge and ink chamber CLI.
If you have a scale you can do the math and use what you may.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Put the rubber bands and clips on the balance and tare it.

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
Put the rubber bands and clips on the balance and tare it.
That sounds like a nice simple idea that would avoid the potentially tricky calculations. You'd need to TARE before putting the clip onto the tank and removing the seal, or have a spare one I guess. I'll try that when I fill my spare set.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Bloomin' heck my head is spinning (wonder how many G's!) from all the information but coming back to the original refill guide... Lovely work...

I now know that spinning my child round is perhaps not a great plan either

InkQuisitive

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
There are two main failure modes to consider:
1) How tightly can you hold their ankles;
2) How tightly can they hold the ink cartridge.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
InkQuisitive said:
websnail said:
There are two main failure modes to consider:
1) How tightly can you hold their ankles;
2) How tightly can they hold the ink cartridge.
LOL... Well there is this...

You forgot one though..

3. How much delicate china and/or glass is located in the room... :)