CLI-42 cart electronic chips

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I am curious if the electronics chips are specific to ink colors or are they interchangeable between different color carts. To me this would be good to know if you had a chip failure on a cart, but had a good chip on a different color cart to replace it. I am using a canon 100 pro

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I am curious if the electronics chips are specific to ink colors or are they interchangeable between different color carts. To me this would be good to know if you had a chip failure on a cart, but had a good chip on a different color cart to replace it. I am using a canon 100 pro

Chips are image specific. They are easy to remove from one cart and add to another cart which must of the same colour of course.

There is a video somewhere on this site showing how easy it is to change the chips. Unfortunately I am a putz with the search command so cannot locate it right now.

If you are new to the Pro100 and refilling make sure you review the issues with the yellow cart, and the necessity to change the original yellow chip to a different cart. IE - Not a CLI-42 yellow.

All info on this site somewhere.

rs

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
deccma, no. The chips are color specific and can not be interchanged with other color carts.

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I took an empty flushed Cyan Cart and inserted it into the magenta slot in the pro-100 printer. I expected i would see some kind of error message after I closed the lid. No message popped up. I did a ink status check in the my printer software and it seemed to recognize the cart as a magenta. I would think if the chips are color specific it would have recognized that I had inserted the wrong color into that slot. Of course i have no other thoughts on it other than that. What is your opinion of that ? I certainly would not want to try this with a cart that had ink in it as it would probably mess up the printer having the wrong color inserted. You would think the printer would sense that>

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There are two stages to the chip detection.
Lid is open:
First stage is detection of the chip. Even if an improper chip is inserted or the wrong color one is inserted it lights up. It detects a chip in that voltage is applied to the chip SM LED.
Lid is closed.
This is the verification stage. The printer then proceeds to confirm that the correct chip with sufficient ink counter level is present. This is when the printer decides whether it likes it or not. If not, watch for the flashing orange.

Now it is possible that maybe the driver still had the old data before it was updated. However, I have never seen any of the chipped carts accepted in an off color after the printer had settled down and decided whether it liked it or not. Maybe your status was during the stage when the printer was still deciding.......like courtship maybe?

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
That's a very good explanation mikling and it is something that I would have expected to happen based on what jtoolman said. I was quite surprised when nothing happened and the check printer status showed the ink status as it normally would appear with a correct color ink cart.. Out of curiosity and as a learning experience for my own benefit, when I have time to experiment with this further i am going to try that again. I will post results when I have spent more time with this.

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Ok, I have confirmed what you all have said about the electronic chips on carts being color specific. I had several different flushed carts with chips and tried to swap those one at a time into a different color slot in the printer. In all but one time the printer accepted them without a problem. However when i turned the printer off and then back on again it then triggered the yellow warning light. There was one exception to that with the light grey cart in a different color slot. As soon as I shut the ink carriage cover it activated the yellow warning light. I have no clue as to why it triggered that particular cart at that stage and not the others. The bottom line is what you all have said the chips are specific to a color. Thank all of you for your inputs.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@deccma, testing out your theory is great but it’s also the best way to ruin a perfectly good print head, you should never put known empty cartridges into your printer, next time just swap the chips instead of the carts..