ChromIQ profile - soft proofs fine but prints are off

This whole app is vibe coded with the help of AI. I personally lack the technical knowledge to understand exactly how things are working under the hood. When I started this I let it analyse Adobes Color Print Utility and Apples ColorSync and tried to figure out how those apps are handling thing to learn from it - basically as you suggested. I have printed many pages on my Epson ET 8550 (because the ink costs for it are lower) and measured them with the AI agent judging them and at some point it seemed to work. Also the results were the same like when comparing them with other apps.
Then sone time later I wanted to create a profile for my Canon Pro 300 and had similar issues like you. The gamut analysis in the check and refine tool showed a very small gamut volume that could not be true for the printer paper combination. I tried to find the cause but got conflicting information. Also someone reported printing was working for him on macOS Tahoe. This left me confused.
But since then I have at least learned to handle the AI agent a little better so maybe another research on this might help. On discord I read a post from a person who created a mac app that is also related to printing with Canon and I asked him how he handled things to make sure the settings are really respected. He shared some information and a script that he made that checks the print job that is sent to the printer through the macOS printer dialog.
My thought was to maybe use this for ChromIQ as well. As you saw by changing the settings in preferences I had a similar thought before - just for the other route. But for whatever reason it does not seem to help…

Edit: I am looking into this now. I have just set up my Pro 300 and my fresh system (macOS 27 Golden Gate).

1. there is a new driver online from September 2026
2. a new firmware for the printer is also available
3. in Photoshop it now seems to not show this misbehaviour anymore where clicking cancel in the dialog unlocks settings which is good in itself

Edit 2:
On the new macOS things stay locked in ChromIQ as well. Though this does not mean the printer gets the correct information it is clearly a nice thing. On another MacBook with Sequoia and the same driver it still unlocks.

Edit 3:

Maybe some progress:

Bildschirmfoto 2026-10-08 um 10.21.27.png
 
Last edited:
Like the progress! I'm curious how you're generating this info thru Claude. I uploaded both profiles I made, hoping it could tell me what was going on, but it was vague and unhelpful. Cheers to this!
 
The things you can do with the free plan are very limited. When you subscribe to the pro plan you get access to Claude Code. I think you can use this in the Claude app for macOS or, like I do it, in the terminal.
When you have set this up it has the capability to install things and automatically drive your computer if you let it. Some websites block bots for example but when it is doing research it can use your Firefox browser for example to get the information anyway. If it has to do diagnostics it can install tools via homebrew and run them.
In the beginning I was writing my prompts mostly myself. This worked to a degree but it tended to do something that fullfilled your request but not the way you have imagined and often opened the door for many bugs. Things that have worked before were suddenly broken. For the printing implementation it looked into the system, then gave me some things to check and based its actions on this. Sometimes coming to the conclusion that things were not possible.
Over the time I figured out that it is better to let AI write your prompts for you. ChatGPT for example has unlimited chats in the free plan and its voice to text model is great (not the option where it talks back to you but the one where it converts your voice into text and then replies in text form).
With that you can give it some information: „I am working on this app on my mac with an AI coding agent. I have this problem. Homebrew is installed. The agent is allowed for its work to automatically drive my computer as much as possible, take control over mouse and keyboard, install applications, do reasearch on the internet and use my firefox if it gets blocked otherwise. I want you to write a prompt for the coding agent that instructs it to work on my problem based on the thoughts I share with you here. Then you tell it what you are thinking, what the problem is and what you have already tried and what you have noticed. This does not need to be structured. ChatGPT will give it structure. Then you add something like that the agent shall not make assumptions but everything must be based on the code and hard facts. It shall orchestrate expert subagents that work on the task (maximum XY agents in parallel). I want it to create a folder on my desktop to do staged reporting, leaving proof and screenshots for me to eyeball and to save its progress in case an error occurs. After it found and implemented a fix it is supposed to call another subagent that critically reviews the fixes, looking for bugs, gaps, oversights and regressions to fix them as well. This process shall be repeated in a loop until the verdict is that it is safe to tag a new release.“

Something like that… In case of the printing issue it did research on popular printers from different manufacturers, downloaded and installed the drivers, set them up in a way it could select them them for printing in different applications and then automatically drove those apps with test charts it created to check what they send to the printer when options X, Y and Z are selected and compraed the results against each other. When it found differences it automatically investigated the cause. That way it drove ChromIQ, Apple ColorSync, Photoshop and ACPU (which does not work under macOS Golden Gate) and SEEMINGLY found a solution that it was checking afterwards. This process has now been running for like 10 hours straight?
What it says sounds promising so far. BUT… I have not tried it yet. Once it decides to release a new version it will be the same surprise for me as it will be for you whether this works or not :D

When it is released you will find it under this link:

https://github.com/itsab1989/ChromIQ/releases/tag/v4.3.3-beta.15

Check the release notes to be sure it is correct. At the time of posting this the link won‘t lead anywhere because it is still not done.
 
@mjhn
Update is now out: https://github.com/itsab1989/ChromIQ/releases/tag/v4.3.3-beta.15

Trying it on a MacBook running Sequoia right now. Fingers crossed:

Bildschirmfoto 2026-10-08 um 23.44.10.png


Edit:
Wish me luck! I will let it dry for a few hours though.

IMG_1559.jpg


Also please reset the settings in the preferences window to how they were before for now. This should now hopefully be the best route.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top