CanonPro-100

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
He's just upset that these amazing deals are not available in Europe. I really don't blame him. But still not a reason to comment as he has commented as there nothing much to do about it.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
nothing.... really :)

since its too expensive in Germany and refill options isn't aviable here I would go for an additional Epson A3 printer with piezographic b/w inks...

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There may be a non obvious reason to consider buying the Pro-100.

The Pro-100 is a replacement for the Pro 9000. The PRO-9000 uses red and green ink. I don't know of any other printer using red and green ink. Finding red and green ink for the Pro-9000 has always been a problem. I could not find any red and green empty carts. Many retail outlets were often out of the red and green OEM carts. I have had third party red and green ink back ordered from third party suppliers.

The ink set for the Pro-100 is new and includes three black inks (3K) and no red or green ink. This seems to be a major change from Canon for the future. It seems that red and green ink will become an increasing problem with both OEM and third party sources. It seems that the future from Canon is with 3K inks.

If any of that is true, one should weigh all these issues which may lean you toward the Pro-100.

Good Luck!
Wil

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
cls said:
We will see what Epson has in there sleeve mid septembre I guess.

and "new" A3 dye printer utilizing the new Claria HD formula (as seen in the XP 850 / XP 750) but this means only 6 colors again..
replacement for the 3880 pro
replacement for the 4900 pro
Here is Epson's problem. If they introduce a K3 dye system, it will cannibalize their own pigment K3 printer sales. So any real response is going to hurt themselves in the short run, which according to their financial reports, they cannot afford right now.

There is some strategy to this Canon move. Epson is targeting Canon's strength in the office and Canon is responding by targeting Epson's strength in the photography end with k3 type dye technology. Any response from Epson is like shooting themselves in their own foot, so Epson is caught in a catch 22. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. As I've indicated I think many Epson owners would really like the Pro-100 for its low cost of operation and less hassles...I think Canon wants to capitalize on this.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
mikling said:
There is some strategy to this Canon move. Epson is targeting Canon's strength in the office and Canon is responding by targeting Epson's strength in the photography end with k3 type dye technology. Any response from Epson is like shooting themselves in their own foot, so Epson is caught in a catch 22. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. As I've indicated I think many Epson owners would really like the Pro-100 for its low cost of operation and less hassles...I think Canon wants to capitalize on this.
Good Point!

I am selling actually rather "cheap" Epson printers models as the Artisan 50 (P50/T50 in other parts of the world), these are the basic 6 dye color photo printers from epson, with a whole solution:
refillable cartriges
PIGMENTED INK and custom paper profiles

Once ANY of my customers switched from "home" dye printing to "DIY cooked" pigment printing or even an Epson R1800/R1900/R2400 with native pigment inks their are not willing to give it up.

Anekdote:
I have an 61-year old pensioner who was a photographer for a big publisher: He was used to print his Photo with his Canon i990 (NOW THATS AN AWESOME DYE PRINTER 7 color dye back from 2004!) for "small" formats and an Epson Stylus Color 1160 (also and old 4 colored dye workhog, this guy if from 1999!) for bigger formats.
He did use OEM Inks only on his Canon but 3rd party Cartriges for his Epson (compedo and KMP afterwards) due to his good relations to his former employee he did actually did nice color management himself by printing out the targets for a Spectrolino/Spectroscan and mailing them to his job, he then was able to download the ICC profil via FTP from the servers.

After his Canon i990 crunched the 3rd printhead and the Epson 1160 needed "servicing, waste tank full!" for a second time he did let the photographic thing rest and print his photos online, but he was never satisfied with either the papers or the colors.

Little time passed and over some other clients that I have I came in contact with him, after little explanation he is now a proud owner of used Epson R2400 that I got him for 100
He is quite happy about it and printing ONLY with oem inks.. I tried to convince him but he dont like the idea of having either a CISS or refillable cartriges and syringes...
So after a quic calculation example I bought THREE Sets of refillable cartriges and OCP Inks (R2400 K3 compatible) and filled ALL of them up.. Now he uses just the refillable cartriges
if he gets a "ink low" warning he simply replace a empty cartrige with a filled one. And at a certain treshold he contacts me and I go over and fill the cartriges right up.. Its little money for me, but we always have a good talk and he shows me his photographs :)