Canon waste ink

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thought I'd share this article and open it for comment for anyone in the know for corrections, etc..

http://www.octoink.co.uk/store/pages/Canon-Pixmas.html

Basically it's a distillation of what I've picked up about canon printers in relation to waste ink with a healthy dose of input from Trigger 37 regarding the pump capabilities.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Thanks Martin that is a good article.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well if you take each cli-8 cartridge and put a drop of (ammonia 10%) 0.2ml with insulin syringe on each cartridge.Then insert cartridges and perform cleaning procedure at then print purge page, then nozzle test, then pirge page.

Repeat a few times.

This will prevent clogs in you waste ink tubes head nozzles.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
Well if you take each cli-8 cartridge and put a drop of (ammonia 10%) 0.2ml with insulin syringe on each cartridge.Then insert cartridges and perform cleaning procedure at then print purge page, then nozzle test, then pirge page.

Repeat a few times.

This will prevent clogs in you waste ink tubes head nozzles.
Would it not just be easier to flush the extension tube with the same solution every once in a while to stop any clogs developing in there? From experience the clogs don't develop in the existing system unless you allow ink to pool there which would be difficult given the shortness of the tubing in the ones I've looked at.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Different canon printer (performing automatic cleaning cycle) auto purge different amount of ink at different interval of time lapsed/ replacement of ink tank/removing of PH etc..... Just how much inks were deposited to my canon waste ink pad after many hours lapsed. On my machine, the manual indicated these amount of ink will auto purge when those hours had lapsed. As more time had lasped, slightly more ink will be used during the auto cleaning cycle. Below is a small section of my printer manual on the cleaning mode.

Since at 120 to 336 hours lapsed from the previous cleaning, will generate the same amount of ink purge as a manual cleaning perform, below is a simulated case of auto purge cycle perform at 120 hours time lapse by executing a cleaning cycle.

Now if there were clog in Printhead and deep cleaning cycle were executed, below is the amount of ink which my printer will be deposit to the waste ink pad.

Someone did a similar test to see how much ink will be purge out when executing a cleaning cycle on Epson R270. As there is no option at the maintenance utility to select cleaning cycle or deep cleaning cycle like Canon, the amount of ink purge out by executing the cleaning cycle was approximately 3ml.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for that info lin... That would jell with the observations I've made with the iP4000 I modified some time back.

lin said:
Someone did a similar test to see how much ink will be purge out when executing a cleaning cycle on Epson R270. As there is no option at the maintenance utility to select cleaning cycle or deep cleaning cycle like Canon, the amount of ink purge out by executing the cleaning cycle was approximately 3ml.
About the only thing I'd say here is that my experience with the C8x models is that they push out at least 3ml on a cleaning cycle and in terms of requirements they tend to need cleaning cycles around 4 or 5 times more than Canon pixma's.

The CX6600 I bought for testing was the worst I've ever seen though with at least 5ml of waste ink in every cleaning routine. No idea why but it was a VERY heavy waste ink abuser.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Very good test "lin" I was looking to do some testing like this too.

When you start to think that you turn on a printer 3 times a day at least, x 30 days = 90 times a month. If average amount of ink is 00.9ml than that totals to (00.9 x 90 :) 8.1ml of waste ink.

If the printer uses 5 carts that means each will lose about 1.62ml.

And this is just to turn the printer on?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Can't find the original thread(s) I've posted on, but just to note that I've just completed a mammoth photo set for disassembling an iP4200 and fitting an external waste ink kit.

It's taken 3 hours just to edit the photos into something usable.

I'll post up a link to the finished article (hopefully tomorrow - Sunday, or sometime this week) if/when I get enough time between nappy changes and naps.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canons may waste less ink per cleaning but on the newer IP4600 they make up for it with cleaning cycles galore. Pretty much every time you turn it on it seems to go through a cleaning cycle.