Canon waste ink

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
During my ownership of the Canon i9900 whereupon I upgraded the printer firmware from Canon I noticed something after the upgrade. The printer seemed to hesitate more with added head action and priming cycles. Then it occurred to me what was happening.

The firmware upgrade from Canon was deemed to "protect" the head. Well, my hunch is that this protection was mainly due to more priming cycles ( a smaller head cleaning) to ensure that the nozzle reservoirs was always fully loaded to supply the nozzles with the ink required. Furthermore it is my belief is that the high printing speed of the 9900 meant that the nozzles were using ink at a fast rate and that brought the ink delivery system close to the limits of its delivery rate. If cartridges were not in prime condition (near empty for example) or there was printing where most of the nozzles of a color channel were used then reaching or exceeding thelimits could happen. In this case, the reservoir would starve of ink because the ink would not be delivered as fast as it was being used and nozzle degradation due to kogation (burnout) would occur. The only way to recharge the ink reservoir ( a small trough of ink, the length of the nozzle plate just above the nozzles) is to run a prime cycle where the pump would literally pull ink from the cartridge like a head cleaning and recharge the reservoir instantly.

Looking at this situation, it is likely that during the initial design, the engineers did not anticipate certain printing sequences or maybe did not see cartridges with wider variations of ink deleivery rate. Now because in other countries where the ink consumption rate is published, they must also attempt to minimize the ink consumption as well. Thus the programming of the printer may have involved a tradeoff betwen ink consumption with more prime cycles versus ink economy. Maybe the decision leaned too far on the ink economy side and the firmware revision was to correct that decision as feedback through warranty claims and further testing may have revealed or provided more insight into where the balance was more correct.

Please also note that for there is an internal timer on the printers that can sense whether the printers had been used within a certain interval ( usually 24hrs) and if not it will initiate a prime cycle to ensure that the nozzles have not dried out. The Canon service manuals of the printes point out exactly how often a cleaning is performed, how much ink is used and what interval the cleaning occurs. It's not a secret but it is hard to locate that information.

On Epsons, the amount of priming cycles that occur will also depend on the print quality setting used. Highest print quality will entail more primes to ensure that the nozzles are always full of ink.

I am sure that the amount of priming done is one out of necessity due to printer design and engineers simply don't prime for the heck of it. The pros and cons of various head designs just like all things will involve some level of compromise.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Interesting post Mike.

I've found that there are a ton of people on various forums, twitter, self-help sites, etc... where there are numerous complaints about how much ink gets wasted without an understanding of the processes involved or why, for example Epson piezoelectric approach will waste a bit more ink compared to a Canon bubblejet system.

That said, there are what appear obvious trade-offs being made that do not necessarily help the customer and could easily be argued are of great benefit to the OEM's profit statement.

An example of this is Canons change in design to their printers. Arguably Canon have reduced the materials and build quality of their Pixma range with more emphasis on the "bling" or eyecandy aspect and much reduced quality on components and processes such as printhead cleaning. Case in point is the iP4600 (or was it iP3600) which drops the smooth, machined running bar for the printhead in place of a folded metal bar and a ton of lubricant. Then you have the waste ink system itself which drops the older style parking pad for a single hinged bit of plastic that goes up and down and requires more waste ink compared to before because it's cheap and shoddy.

Essentially the changes are aimed at making the printer more disposable (environment? what environment?! :|) and they're all doing it...

While I'd love to err on the side of pragmatics, my overall impression is that the printer manufacturers have realised:
- that 3rd party consumables are becoming more and more popular (their income)
- that their older printers could potentially last years
- older printers tend to be catered for better by 3rd party consumables
- it's harder to make customers use your consumables by forcing them to use a new printer if the old one continues to work.

So...
- make cheaper, poor quality printers that will fail much quicker
- keep on bringing out new chips, protection, etc... that forces customers to buy your OEM cartridges = brings in the pennies
- shorter printer life = less time for 3rd party consumables to hit market = less profit for the manufacturers = less incentive to cater for newer printers.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but honestly I wonder if I'm being cynical enough...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Maybe Canon has discovered that most people buy a printer based solely on the initial cost of the printer without any consideration for the replacement cost of the ink, at least most of my friends do that. Then when they realize how much it will cost to buy ink, they just buy another printer. Apparently Canon cannot make money by "giving away" their printers and then making it up on ink so they have to make money on low cost (and cheaply made) printers.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
Maybe Canon has discovered that most people buy a printer based solely on the initial cost of the printer without any consideration for the replacement cost of the ink, at least most of my friends do that. Then when they realize how much it will cost to buy ink, they just buy another printer. Apparently Canon cannot make money by "giving away" their printers and then making it up on ink so they have to make money on low cost (and cheaply made) printers.
To be frank, that's Canon's own stupid fault for following a business practice that was started with Razor blades. If you want to see a lion size rant, ask Art Entlich about the topic on the Epson_printer yahoo group and prepare your ear defenders.

Doubtless they have realised it's a no-win situation but it does beg the question as to why they don't just product an excellent quality printer at a reasonable price but with cost effective ink supplies. They've already proved their ink is the best, why not captalise on that, especially with those wanting professional prints like i9900 owners...

Yeah, I can probably answer the question myself... Either way, until printer manufacturers are held to account for the technology landfill mess they're creating it'll stay this way..

*wonders if he should step down from the pulpit now*

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Websnail, what I find is that there exists a big irony with the younger generation in their acceptance of more obsolescence and yet they demand more environmentally friendly products. The irony is that they want and accept a cheaper product and would pass on something that can be maintained and is easier on the environment.

How? Let's take a look at the communication devices they love. How many are still working properly, yet are "given" up. Puttin them in a recycle bin is not the solution as what happends to the equipment is not that environmentally friendly, in fact, the recycle bin may actually be bad as it whitewashes everything into fantasy.

Another item is the mass adoption of latptops that cannot be upgraded through the YEARS as opposed to desktops which could if chosen properly. The batteries on these devices are no friend of the environment.

I'm not at all surprised by Canon and other manufacturers' decisions. It simply reflects what the market wants and nothing else. Within my circle the younger ones simply are not interested in repairing or refurbishing a good item. They simply want something new, flashy ( Bling?) and want it as inexpensively as they can get it and they proclaim to be green. Sheesh. For many being Green is hip fashion and nothing else.

Maybe the fact that I appreciate quality and longevity makes me an old fart?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Mike,

Yep... completely agree... If you dangle the latest, newest, best and cheapest gadget in front of folks they immediately assume it's better and off they go...

On that basis it's very true and of course the younger generation are the ones that lead the pack when it comes to technology for the bulk of the populace because they are the main ones who buy it (or seem to be).

That said, the technology magazines also seem to be bought and paid for... I've yet to see a publication like PCPro (UK) actually give a negative review for the next new thing. In almost all cases the review seems to be some marketing blurb that was written by the PR people from the company producing the item. That then encourages those who don't know better to buy...

mikling said:
Maybe the fact that I appreciate quality and longevity makes me an old fart?
LOL... You and me both then...

We have a Kenwood food processor that has been going for over years and I wax enthusiastic about a Miele washing machine that cost an absolute fortune but has 10 year parts and labour with every expectation of hitting the same 20 year old mark so if you're an old fart, you can count me as next door with my comfortable slippers and pipe :)

Gerry_H

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Hi GH, good points - and thanks for the 'Mikling' link.

I notice in your foot notes that you 'vacuum fill' your >tiny< canon cartridges.?. I also use an HP 1220c and have vacuum filled their cartridges but, didn't consider that you might use that method with others, hum. Do you use a homemade vacuum system or can you by them for Canons, please?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I wrote an article describing my vacuum refilling method.

However, I no longer refill by this method because I find the German method quicker, cleaner, and I don't have to refill a very large number of cartrides at one time.

I posted my reasons in detail here.

Gerry_H

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After my rant on Canon I now feel better. So, in Canon's behalf; I do think that they provide one of the better (on-screen) printhead maintainace, (and testing), utilities. That being their "Nozzle Check", (i.e. test).

It first prints out a row of strips, one for each color. Each strip contains around 500 tiny rectangles, each cordoned off by (color) lines.

Now here's where the obvious knowledge ends, and (my) theories and conclusions begin. (which is the same as guessing).

My guess is that; each vertical and horizontal (color) line represents a stream of ink ejected by an (individual color) printing Nozzle. Whereby, a 'break' in any of the Vert. or Horz. lines (making up the matrix) "indicates" an ink nozzle that failed to fire, or "tried" and could not fire.

Nearly - very worthwhile information. The problem at this point is - that we, at least I, am left to wonder; do the blank (no-lines) spaces in the print pattern represent nozzles that are "clogged" - or - does it represent nozzles that are "burned out", or otherwise dead. BIG decision-making difference here, for the printer owner.

*Unvalidated clue spooging*!

Clue#1. You run several "Nozzle Checks" - between each check [& printout] you conduct a brisk 'cleaning' process, then:
a. You notice between each cleaning-&-'Check' printout that the number of 'blank' spaces in the pattern (noticably) decreases!
b. You notice between each cleaning-&-'Check' printout that the number of 'blank' spaces stays very much the same as before!

Gee. Could 'b.' be a sign of a stubborn clug or a dead-head!?!

Clue#2. A close look at the printed 'Check' patterns reveal that the 'blank' (broken lines), only appear in (lateral) horizontal lines, while 'all ' the vertical (seperator) lines look to be neat, present & accounted for! (based on my printer test results).

a. This reveals nothing important?
b. This mean that all the (viewed color) printhead nozzles are (at least) sporadically firing properly? (aka. Is this trying to
reveal to us that even the misfiring nozzles are 'correctly working' some of the time).

Clue#3. Could Clues 1&2 indicate that the printers (OS) Drive, (or internal printer processor), code might be corrupted?

Here's my physics formula: If NO=X lines (period) appear on a printout, in any given color, that ='s a bad sign that the (blank row of) nozzles are burned out, (or the printhead processor board is DOA).

But, these are problems that none of us should even be tasked to decipher - they are conversely the very kind of problem questions that any printer producer should Damned Well be equipped and prepared to answer - promptly.

It would appear that a prophet's reading of the signs, from Canon on high, just might be helpful here. Based on experience, I found nowhere that Canon will respond to questions-seeking-answers like this - other than to say: "take it to your nearest Canon Repair center"!

'Budget' printers are one thing - 'Good' printers are NOT, and never have been cheap. Ink-jet type printers, in particular Canon, should at the very least market a "real" "serious" head cleaning utility/kit for their products - "explained with adaquate instructions".

Underlying all these conundrums is the fact that (all) printers are made with enough data-gathering memory built-in to track (and report) your families underwear sizes. With a few [well guarded] key strokes any printer can tell you its life story. Only a fool would believe that the same printer can't also tell [you] anything you need to know about the printheads functional state - (probably, mapped down to the exact micro-nozzles acting up, and print it all out in a report for you).

Canon S9000 ip6000d - HP 1220c - 895cse - HP 930 - Epson R220