Canon TS 8051 Incomplete Print-outs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Post your scanned saved PDF file that looks appropriate on your monitor but fails to print properly. We'll give it a try with our printers.

Edit:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The default paper format must be set to A4.
Maybe so. However, looking at the control panel on the front of my MP830 I also have Letter as default. I can change it to A4 which should alter the dimensions of the area scanned and data saved. I would think one would need to select this paper size (A4) if different than the default (Letter)when just printing a saved file as well.

If the OP can scan and save to PDF an A4 document that looks appropriate on his monitor then the scan settings are correct.

So, either there is something wrong with his printer function or, more likely, a software setting. Maybe there are other considerations I am not thinking of at this time.

That said, we do not know if he can print document that were NOT scanned by his scanner, ie are there problems with printing anything else, OR if there is a problem when using other software to print from.

First thing -- make sure A4 paper size is selected in the printer controls.

Second thing -- make sure A4 paper size is selected in the printing application.

One area OP might want to check is the settings in his of Adobe Acrobat. I use Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Clicking on "Print" in AA Reader DC brings up the Print window. At the bottom of my window is "Page Setup..." which allows one to change Paper Size. Mine is set to Letter, maybe because the scanned document was scanned as a "Letter"???, but I can change this from Letter size to A4. Maybe manually setting this AA Paper Size setting to A4 will do the trick.

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
When I purchased the printer I installed it from the disc supplied within the package.
I can change paper dimentions to A4 or anything else and then confirm. I always match the printer menu to the paper selection on the standard Windows 'Print' command. I can see no fault with my setting of page type/dimentions. I never had a problem until recently.

Scanning 3rd party documents etc which I have not produced on any of my machines, for example from a leaflet or advertising flyer, works fine as does scanning my own produces. Scanning presents no problem but the printer will always cut off the bottom on 'Portrait' or the end of a 'Landscape' whatever the source.

I am sure that the problem is nothing to do with the scanner. I feel that is the printing software where the fault is. There was an update from Canon recently and I think that this may have corrupted the software. That is why I reinstalled the printer with the supplied disc but that did not cure the printing problem. Then I followed Hat's advice and completely rid my computer of anything Canon and using the installation disc reinstalled the printer once again. Still no cure to the problem.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
....I am sure that the problem is nothing to do with the scanner. I feel that is the printing software where the fault is. There was an update from Canon recently and I think that this may have corrupted the software. That is why I reinstalled the printer with the supplied disc but that did not cure the printing problem. Then I followed Hat's advice and completely rid my computer of anything Canon and using the installation disc reinstalled the printer once again. Still no cure to the problem.
If the problems began just after the update, then I think you are right. What was updated, firmware or other? Maybe the download was corrupted, maybe running the update again will correct the errors?

Last edited:

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
Yes I did try to run the update again and in fact when I later reloaded the installation disc it automatically went on line for the latest up dates.

I cannot remember whether the update was firmware or something else.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If only the software was updated then the function as a stand alone copier with no connection to a PC should not be affected. So I think that even a new uninstall and reinstall of the software without internet connection will make no difference.

Maybe you cannot even install the printer without an internet connection? That would make the updates "An offer you cannot refuse" :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try using Windows uninstaller in (Programs and Features) and rid yourself of everything Canon related and remove the USB cable then shut down the computer and printer.

Now try installing from the original disc without internet connection, but I suspect that won’t happen and you will have to allow the installation to use Canon’s website to monitor the whole proceedings.

The new driver updates that Canon have installed from their website can’t not be uninstalled by the user, they are stored in the printer and not in the computer and they maybe clashing with an older driver in the software installed.

But with an all new fresh install it might correct the current paper size issue, it’s got something to do with the relationship between A4 / letter size, and correcting that will solve your problem...

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
Hello Hat. No that doesn't work either. I think that I'll dump the Canon and buy another make. But which one?
Thanks to all of you for all advice. Sorry it didn't work out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
But which one?

I use a Maxify, it’s a Canon but it has all the bells and whistles that most like in a printer, and best of all there is 5 models to pick from to suite your pocket and needs, plus it can be refilled easily..

I only use Canon printers, because I consider them a better make..

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
OK The Hat. I'll look into those. Thanks.