Canon TS 8051 Incomplete Print-outs

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
In 2017 I bought a Canon TS8051. The machine has now stopped printing a full page of text (the bottom 3/4” or so is always cut off) when using ‘Copy’ or printing a PDF taken from a scan on the printer. I’ve spent a very long time trying to correct this fault using different settings without success, including reducing the scale in “Settings” but this is not acceptable for official docs.
Following the manual instructions I tried holding the on/off button for a factory reset without any result.

Can anyone advise me please.

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
Hello PeterBJ I have tried the suggestions mentioned in the link that you provided but to no avail. I have extensively read and followed the manual for my TS8051 but I still can't fix the problem and I can't find a way to reset to factory default either. More on the factory reset procedure. The manual states that by holding down the on/off button until the green indicator light blinks 19 times the the printer will be at the factory settings. In spite of holding down the button and progressively increasing the hold-down time to more than 2 minutes nothing is achieved other than switching the machine off.

Thomas08

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried experimenting with the scanner settings on a Canon MG5450S that is the newest Canon printer I have. I managed to mess up things and bring them back to working order by trial and error.

I think the menu structure is similar but not identical to the one on Canon TS8051. Besides that the MG5450S has push buttons, not sensor fields or a touch screen. Photographing the display on the MG5450S is also difficult due to reflections from the shiny plastic.

I found out that the menu structure on the MG5450S is different from the menu structure on the MP540 so that link to the similar problem was not of much use, sorry.

So I looked for the user manual for the TS8051 and found this manual in PDF format. See page 375 for scanner settings. One of the items that can be changed is scan size. I think the scan size is set to something other than A4 on your printer. Reset the scan size to A4 and I think the scanner will be fine again.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In the link PeterBJ provided is my post on using the Settings button/sensor to change the Paper Size to the size of the paper you are scanning. This is the root of your problem - using a paper size setting that is smaller than the document you are scanning, hence the copy has data cut off.

In your situation, a scan setting for Paper Size of A5 is smaller than the A4 paper you are scanning, so the copy has missing data wherever the original scanned document has data beyond the margins of the A5 setting.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As the printer is European according to the type number, A4 is the default paper format. If the scan format is accidentally changed to Letter approximately 3/4 inch will be missing from the scan. See this for the difference in size for A4 and Letter paper formats. So I'm quite sure the scan size has been set to Letter.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Bottom line, the paper size setting in the printer must match the size of the paper being scanned.

Visual representations of paper sizes here.

Thomas08

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS8051
Thank you PeterBJ and stratman. I have verified at each usage that the paper size matches the correct settings but still no positive result. It seems as though the printer software doesn't recognize the paper sizes. I get the same problem when printing text that I have typed on my computer.

Thanks for the pdf manual stratman. Kind of you to look that out. Followed instructions but still no joy. I think that the printer software must have gone awry. That's why a tried a factory reset but as previously mentioned, the manual system for the factory reset does not work.

At a bit of a loss now.....

Thomas08

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I get the same problem when printing text that I have typed on my computer.
It’s interesting that both the scanner and the computer displays the same errors on printout, assuming nothing has changes on your computer like an update, I’d still delete all the software and drivers from your system, reboot and install everything again..