Canon Pro9000 ll colour shift noticeable in greys

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I always used Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl A3+ & printed by using the Canon Photo Paper Pro 11 as the media setting because this setting makes sure the printer uses the Red & Green inks, I'm not sure if it does with other media settings. Because of the cost of the Ilford papers down here I have now started using a generic gloss A3 paper for less then half the cost as I submit prints every month to my club competitions & to my surprise the prints look really good.
For colour shots I print by letting Photoshop handle the printing & use my own Colormunki profiles. If you are displaying your prints behind glass all the photos look as though they are glossy so you can use glossy paper to get the full abilities out of the Pro 9000 but if you're not displaying behind glass then a pearl paper looks a lot better to me.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Rod

Looking a little closer at the Print Pro selection boxes, they clearly treat media selection as completely seperate from profile selection. Look at the Profiles - Add box below;-

9023_add_to_profiles.jpg

You can change the media setting from Fine Art Photo Rag to Plain Paper, but the profile remains Fine Art ...

You choose your media settings, then your profile under color management. Greyscale then disregards the profile, which is logical as its a colour profile, but uses the media setting.

It looks as though the latest version does not regard multiple media selection as that important, have you found any degrading of your prints?

It would be interesting to print the same B&W image with each of the media settings on a single paper, to see if there was a difference.

One parameter that would change, would be the permitted Fast-Fine setting, some papers being limited to 3 others to 1. The number of bi-directional passes will probably be different as well.

Regards Emu

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've never used Print Pro for colour prints Emu I always print from Photoshop. I just use Print pro for B&W printing. Last week I printed a B&W by ticking the Greyscale box in the printer preferences & that came out really good so I wonder if that greyscale box does the same quality as Print Pro B&W.
I find it strange there's only one fine art paper listed as the fine art papers are very different in texture etc. When I was using the Canon Fine art Premium Matte I used the Matte Photo Paper & not the fine art Matte as the media setting so I could set my own border width & it looked very good.
I haven't experimented with the different settings so maybe they are not as different as the names make it look.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Rod

Been talking to my cousin and her son, just over from Melbourne, for a few weeks. They are cooling off in our summer, from the intense heat of the Melbourne winter!! (You may have heard we are having problems with the Jet Stream).

Using Easy PhotoPrint Pro, Greyscale, I have printed separately, 4 images of tree bark in B&W, each in a different media setting, on a single A4 sheet of glossy (without telling the printer).

I used "High resolution Paper", "Plain Paper", "Fine Art Photo Rag" and "Photo Paper Pro Platinum" media settings. All but plain paper were in "Fine" setting, plain paper was in "standard". The difference in printing speed was very marked, probably 50 to 1.

The interesting result was in the tonal ranges, they were noticeably different. Fine Art Photo Rag and Platinum had the widest range, with Platinum showing greatest contrast. Photo Rag showed less contrast but greater shadow detail.

Plain paper had a slightly lower resolution, as you would expect, but wasn't bad. Shadow detail suffered somewhat.

High Resolution had the detail, but less range, the deep blacks were as dark but the contrast range to lighter shades was less than Photo Rag and Platinum.

The choice of media setting would be subjective and probably vary with image type. But the interesting thing is that there is a significant difference. I was beginning to wonder. Of course now I will have to try all the others!

I suspect the printer has these media profiles programmed into its EPROM and the user software just identifies which to select. The colour profiles are a completely different matter.

Regards Emu

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator
Using Easy PhotoPrint Pro, Greyscale, I have printed separately, 4 images of tree bark in B&W,
each in a different media setting, on a single A4 sheet of glossy (without telling the printer).
Glad to see you are experimenting with the different media types and getting good results.

Most guys stick rigidly to the letter of the law when choosing paper types and never get any further;
at least you have broken into a whole new way of printing, good on mate.
They are cooling off in our summer, from the intense heat of the Melbourne winter!!
(You may have heard we are having problems with the Jet Stream).
Please dont mention the flaming weather again, it will remind Rod of the ten quad whinging Poms. :lol:
I decided to get myself a good raft and am thinking strongly of building a boat later..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ah the ten quid Poms, that brings back memories. Makes me want to come to the UK so I can emigrate again:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
I decided to get myself a good raft and am thinking strongly of building a boat later..
First you keep all the good beer and whiskey to yourselves. :drool Then you keep all the pretty girls. :hit Now you're hogging all the rain? :barnie

Share with your Yank brothers. :frow

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rodbam said:
Ah the ten quid Poms, that brings back memories. Makes me want to come to the UK so I can emigrate again:)
So Rod, you are an ex pat in Roo clothing I'd never have guessed.
I tried it once too but the tenner dident last me long.. :barnie
stratman said:
Now you're hogging all the rain?

Share with your Yank brothers.
I taught you guys were only interested in brewing up a storm and not watering down your booze. :sick
Next thing you'll want is to hijack St Patricks Day. Wait a minute you've done that already. :ep

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It's raining! :ya

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model