Canon Pro9000 ll colour shift noticeable in greys

DSchell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The mystery of the missing silicon plug has been solved.

Whatever cartridges are not currently in my printer are stored in a sealed plastic bag.
I found the errant plug in that bag.
That means that after I had replaced the C, PC, M, and PM refilled cartridges in the printer with OEM cartridges, it fell out (without spilling any ink).
Then when someone suggested I reverse the order, and begin putting refilled cartridges back in the printer, I put in the M and PM cartridges back in, minus the plug in the PM.

Since that time I have not printed any photos.

The emergency has ended - you may resume whatever you were doing when the alarm went off. :)

Dave S.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Silly billy:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Schell said:
The mystery of the missing silicon plug has been solved.

Whatever cartridges are not currently in my printer are stored in a sealed plastic bag.
I found the errant plug in that bag.
That means that after I had replaced the C, PC, M, and PM refilled cartridges in the printer with OEM cartridges, it fell out (without spilling any ink).
Then when someone suggested I reverse the order, and begin putting refilled cartridges back in the printer, I put in the M and PM cartridges back in, minus the plug in the PM.

Since that time I have not printed any photos.

The emergency has ended - you may resume whatever you were doing when the alarm went off. :)

Dave S.
I dont know what brand of refilled cartridges you are using but they must be absolutely rubbish.:hit

If you can lose the silicone plug from the top without them leaking all over the place when the orange clip is removed then they are not worth using.

I think you should re-examine your refilling procedures again because you definitely have some serious problems.

Try a practice run on an OEM cartridge using water with the orange clip on and the air maze covered over then fit the silicone plug in the refill hole and wait a minute.

Now when you remove the tape covering the air maze and then the orange clip your cartridge should not leak but if you gently squeeze the sides a little a few drops will drip out that is all.

A correctly filled OEM cartridge with the refill hole left open (Accidently or deliberately) will always leak out when the orange clip is removed; if it doesnt its obviously not functioning properly.

I would also recommend you put some duck tape over your silicone plugs for extra security or get better ones..:)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
ThrillaMozilla

I think you are being a little pedantic about derivatives!!

DSchell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
I dont know what brand of refilled cartridges you are using but they must be absolutely rubbish.:hit

If you can lose the silicone plug from the top without them leaking all over the place
when the orange clip is removed then they are not worth using.
I see that you are a lover of hyperbole.

The cartridges that I am using are OEM.
I do agree that the plugs ought not to come out accidentally.
Other manufacturer's methods that I have used have never come out accidentally.
But when I researched inks for this printer, OctoInkJet received a high level of recommendations.
Shall we call all of those recommendations "rubbish"?

The Hat said:
I think you should re-examine your refilling procedures again
because you definitely have some serious problems.

Try a practice run on an OEM cartridge using water with the orange clip on and the air maze covered over
then fit the silicone plug in the refill hole and wait a minute.

Now when you remove the tape covering the air maze and then the orange clip your cartridge should not leak
but if you gently squeeze the sides a little a few drops will drip out that is all.

A correctly filled OEM cartridge with the refill hole left open (Accidently or deliberately) will always leak out
when the orange clip is removed; if it doesnt its obviously not functioning properly.

I would also recommend you put some duck tape over your silicone plugs for extra security or get better ones..:)
Again, to water down your hyperbole, I am willing to admit that I have had an occasional problem.
There is always some improvement to be learned, even though I have been refilling Canon cartridges for over 10 years.

Here in Canada we call it "duct" tape, rather than "duck" tape because it's initial usage was for sealing heating/air conditioning ducts.
Now they have found that a metallic tape is better for that purpose.
Coming back to the main road from that rabbit trail, I will agree with you that putting some type of tape over a plug that can accidentally fall out would be a good idea.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave S.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
DSchell:

I think there have been some misconceptions and failures to communicate in this thread.

Thrilla's Silicon/Silicone post was all about how the letter "e" makes a big difference. Silicon is an element that is used to make computer chips, for example. Silicone - note the "e" on the end of the word - can be soft and pliable and is used to make the plugs for your cartridge and enlarge the breasts of Pamela Anderson. Several others have been corrected by the forum's Mr. Chips, including me, so don't take it too badly.

Duck tape, however, is a proper reference to Duck brand duct tape, especially for an old-timer like The Hat. It also could be a regional name of the tape - The Hat is from Ireland and they have all manner of words and spellings that I need a decoder ring to understand. I grew up calling it duck tape too, though now I spell it "duct" so as not to confuse the youngins.

The Hat may have thought that you were using aftermarket cartridges, not OEM Canon, because your tabbed plug type is often sold as a set - plug and third party cartridge together. Do you have a link to where you purchased your plug?

Not sure why you included Octoink and their ink in your reply about the cartridge and plug. I don't recall Octoink selling your kind of tabbed plug. Do they? If you bought your cartridge from Octoink then it was OEM Canon as I do not see any compatibles for sale when I just checked. Regardless, either the plug is bad and/or the hole you drilled in the cartridge is not proper. Glad you found out about the missing plug before a ink leak catastrophe occurred!

DSchell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
DSchell:

I think there have been some misconceptions and failures to communicate in this thread.

Thrilla's Silicon/Silicone post was all about how the letter "e" makes a big difference. Silicon is an element that is used to make computer chips, for example. Silicone - note the "e" on the end of the word - can be soft and pliable and is used to make the plugs for your cartridge and enlarge the breasts of Pamela Anderson. Several others have been corrected by the forum's Mr. Chips, including me, so don't take it too badly.
Thanks for drawing my attention to the added "e". Until then it went completely over my head.
I have previously known about the difference between silicon and silicone, but didn't care enough to check whether I was using the right one.
In justification of that stance, look at OctoInkJet's listing to see what they are selling:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Refill-Plugs-[Canon].html

stratman said:
Duck tape, however, is a proper reference to Duck brand duct tape, especially for an old-timer like The Hat. It also could be a regional name of the tape - The Hat is from Ireland and they have all manner of words and spellings that I need a decoder ring to understand. I grew up calling it duck tape too, though now I spell it "duct" so as not to confuse the youngins.
In defense of my attempting to correct The Hat, I note that the Duck company markets a variety of tape types, of which duct tape is only one.
http://well.ca/brand/duck.html?gclid=CJ6cjL3hgLECFc7AKgodnxSizQ

stratman said:
The Hat may have thought that you were using aftermarket cartridges, not OEM Canon, because your tabbed plug type is often sold as a set - plug and third party cartridge together. Do you have a link to where you purchased your plug?
I bought the set of inks, plugs, and injectors as a set.
http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Pro9000-Mk-II-%2d-Refill-Kit-Bundle.html
I see that they do sell used empty OEM cartridges, but I didn't have any need for them since I had the OEM cartridges that the printer came with.

stratman said:
Not sure why you included Octoink and their ink in your reply about the cartridge and plug. I don't recall Octoink selling your kind of tabbed plug. Do they? If you bought your cartridge from Octoink then it was OEM Canon as I do not see any compatibles for sale when I just checked. Regardless, either the plug is bad and/or the hole you drilled in the cartridge is not proper. Glad you found out about the missing plug before a ink leak catastrophe occurred!
By now you will have seen my link to the kit that I purchased from OctoInkJet, and will have the answer to the question.
I did not drill any hole in the cartridge. The instructions that come with the kit describe how to remove the OEM ball plug with a (provided) awl.
The tapered, flanged silicone-rubber plug they provide does seem to ride high in the hole, so that it seems possible that vibration might raise it so high that it could leak air.

I have had kits from US online retailers for my previous Canon printer where they provided their own cartridge along with a tapered black rubber plug.
I have also used OEM cartridges where I drilled a hole and used an Allen screw to plug the hole.
Both of these systems worked well.

Thanks for your efforts toward better communication.

Dave S.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Dave,
My thread was not meant to criticise you far from it but you seemed to have miss the whole jest of it.
I see that you are a lover of hyperbole.
Hyperbole now that's a new one on me, so I Google it to find its true meaning (Me being from Paddys land).
But when I researched inks for this printer, OctoInkJet received a high level of recommendations.
Shall we call all of those recommendations "rubbish"?
Lets get one thing straight first, OctoInkjet sells very good quality inks which I also use and that said I can now get back to your comments.
Again, to water down your hyperbole, I am willing to admit that I have had an occasional problem.
There is always some improvement to be learned, even though I have been refilling Canon cartridges for over 10 years.
I will try to say again this time politely, that you have a serious problem with your refilling
especially now that I know for sure that youre actually using OEM cartridges.

Canon cartridges when filled correctly will always empty their contents of the reservoir out if the top hole is not sealed 100% air tight.

The same cant be said in your case because that didnt happen to you, so then your refilling procedure has to be called into question i.e. maybe the air maze is partial blocked or some other unknown reason.

Your original problem of colour shift can be as much down to partial ink starvation rather than a bad batch of ink or wrong profiling, its not that easy to find out the except problem straight away, as you have found out.

The reason I mentioned this is because you attempted to criticise me for trying to help you
find the answer to your problems which I think is a little bit odd.

I am not known to exaggerate (As you may think) and more often or not can at times get on the wrong side of some guys totally unintentionally of course, so if I have done that in your case then I apologise.

I like everybody here would love to solve your little problem but we need your corporation to do so and a wise crack (joke) would be more preferable that any criticism so please bear that in mind.

Maybe just maybe you might read some of the other helpful threads that were made on your behalf earlier and it just might help you get things back to normal again.

This is what stratman was try to draw your attention too.. :fl
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LK3Jc8YZX...ptARr8/s400/silicone-busts-celebrities-18.jpg
Now that's Real Silcone that is.. Double time :lol:

Happy Printing.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It's all good, DSchell.

Are your printing issues resolved now?

stratman

Printer VIP