Canon Pro-100 Support code 4100

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
This is the standard Mac or Win Printer utility that is part of the printer driver.
A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks.

This is the Canon printer application, not Mac's.

It's a non issue for now as it's gone somehow
You have been able to run a Bottom Plate Cleaning?

Resolution is good. Congratulations.

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
@stratman thanks for the analysis. The resetter is not battery operated, it is using USB power. I did not reset them after getting those errors, that's something I can try if I receive the errors again.

I am familiar with the proper resetting technique, basically waiting for the final solid light which was done correctly the few times for all those carts. maybe just a fluke ...

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
A picture is worth a thousand words! Thanks.
This is the Canon printer application, not Mac's.

You have been able to run a Bottom Plate Cleaning?
Resolution is good. Congratulations.
In the first post, i was able to eventually do the bottom plate cleaning but only after I did the following:
1- got the errors, panic !
2- shutdown and re-started printer, still got error on numerous attempts to do cleaning using Canon's utility/app
3- decided to print a photo using LR, worked
4- tried again the cleaning job, and it worked

It is a very weird error and sequence to clear (if it worked). crazy ...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My gestalt about your error message is that the issue revolves around the recognition of the PC, BK, PM and C chips for whatever reason and NOT that you modified the cartridges. It also stands to reason that ALL your chipped cartridges that have been RESET would error out if Canon were somehow able to identify you had reset them.

A reset of those specific cartridges with your resetter OR brand new cartridges should resolve the issue. It may be that the chips are failing for some reason, though 4 at one time is bizarre if it were just due to random malfunction. Maybe the resetter did not properly reset them, such as low battery in the resetter or the techniques used when resetting. Maybe there is some issue of proper electrical contact of the chips with the print head, either positioning or oxidation.

Still, you are able to print, meaning the chips WORK!

My thinking is to first try to reset the chips again. If that does not work then get new OEM cartridges, or purchase used cartridges, flush, reset and refill. If the issue continues then suspect low battery in the resetter.

The fact that the printer prints means exactly as stated, it all works or else it would not print.
As Hat mentioned, we KNOW that reset chips are not accepted by some Canon utilities and Creative Park is jut one. This if we recall happened as long back as the CLI-8 days. This tells us that reset chips are not 100% identical to factory fresh chips. There are some bytes kicking around that the resetter is not able to modify or the designer of the resetter did not. Now since this as I just said goes back to the CLI-8 days, I am leaning towards the aspect that the resetter is unable to modify some bytes. But what is interesting is that this is on a Mac.
I know other people have done bottom plate cleaning on Win systems with reset chips. So does this mean that on the Mac side, the Pro-100 is phoning home to Canon? Or is the utlility asking for data that a Win machines does not request.
About the setup versus regular, that is also a possibility as well.

What is becoming apparent is that the assault on third party chips that we expected from Canon 7 years ago but did not fully materialize might indeed be slowly moving forward now as on Epson but there is still some reprieve for the time being.

The other thing is that the assault on third party is not I think what we are doing but rather the aftermarket prefilled market. I noticed that during the override of the OEM tank chips on a 270/271 machine, Canon asked whether or not the said cartridge was sold as a genuine tank. This means that Canon is concerned about third party companies reusing their bodies and chips and selling them as genuine new Canon OEM tanks and obviously I agree with them there. However what we do on this forum is collateral damage. I honestly do not think Canon targets what we do. The answer to the question will obviously be loaded onto a Canon server as on a survey.

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
@mikling this is a weird issue as it was transient and appeared out of the blue on 4 of 8 modified carts (ink refill, chip reset, OEM cart) for that cleaning job. I previously and successfully did the same cleaning job just few days ago on those modded carts.

As to Mac vs Win, i doubt it, i am now monitoring all outgoing network connections per process and per IP. So if next time it occurs, I can check logs to see if my Mac or my printer "phoned" home. And "if" it happens again, I will try that cleaning job from my Win7 VM.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
@mikling this is a weird issue as it was transient and appeared out of the blue on 4 of 8 modified carts (ink refill, chip reset, OEM cart) for that cleaning job. I previously and successfully did the same cleaning job just few days ago on those modded carts.

As to Mac vs Win, i doubt it, i am now monitoring all outgoing network connections per process and per IP. So if next time it occurs, I can check logs to see if my Mac or my printer "phoned" home. And "if" it happens again, I will try that cleaning job from my Win7 VM.
If this happened on the same grouping as on the Head Cleaning groups, then there might be something else going on.
There are two groupings, these groups are physically grouped as well......perhaps even the cabling and electronic circuits.
The aspect that it is intermittent indicates a potential for a physical error. So keep an eye on that. Strange things only happen for a reason, sometimes we can't see it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The fact that the printer prints means exactly as stated, it all works or else it would not print.
A printer or print head with an electrical failure may print but not all work. But, yep, that's what I wrote earlier.

At this time, there are too many unknowns to explain why OP had the issue.

About the setup versus regular, that is also a possibility as well.
Not sure what type of chip OP is using, but if the root of the problem is the "Setup" chip then one would expect all Setup chips to cause the same issue. Again, not enough info to conclude confidently. Unless you have knowledge of why only certain chips respond this way?

People thought Canon conspired to 'Yello Jello' their Pro 100 printers if they refilled the OEM Yellow cartridge. Doubtful as Canon would apply it to other or all the colors to maximize sales of OEM ink. Losses from refilling is a piss in the pool for Canon. The pre-filled aftermarkets are the shark bite and those cartridges do not cause Yello Gello. It's why the forum recommends refilling a CLI-8 Yellow and chip swap to avoid Yello Jello.

What is the reason for printer's shipped with specific "Setup" cartridges? Some data on the chip required to first time set up a printer? Ink volumes less than a retail OEM cartridge? Just a merchandising thing without any truly functional application. Sour resale of the cartridges?

What is becoming apparent is that the assault on third party chips that we expected from Canon 7 years ago but did not fully materialize might indeed be slowly moving forward now as on Epson but there is still some reprieve for the time being.
The question to ask is why hasn't Canon followed Epson and HP's lead. If other companies get away with it then why hasn't Canon done it as well?

Thank your lucky stars Canon hasn't, mikling.

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
@stratman , fyi, the chips are the OEM chips from the OEM carts that came with the PRO-100. Dont know if those are referred to as "setup" or what. I only have one set of carts: Canon OEM Carts, with the exception of the yellow that I got from PC and installed the OEM chip onto it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
a weird issue as it was transient and appeared out of the blue on 4 of 8 modified carts (ink refill, chip reset, OEM cart) for that cleaning job. I previously and successfully did the same cleaning job just few days ago on those modded carts.
Ahh, some much needed additional info.

What cartridges/chips are you using? Are they all the original Setup cartridges, retail cartridges, a mixture? If a mix then which cartridge chips are Setup and which are retail?

The cartridge colors affected span BOTH groups that @mikling noted if those groups are represented by the nozzle check. Knowing whether retail or Setup chips are used and with which color may also provide an insight into why both groupings are affected but not all colors are affected.

Given that the cleaning issue occurred after chip reset and reinsertion back into the print head gives more weight to my earlier gestalt that this was either an improper reset flash or there was a physical issue with connection of the chip to the print head. However, if this was a reset issue then how to explain why the cleaning suddenly started working?

A wild card of using a Mac could still be possible, a "phone home" by the printer (triggered for some as of yet unknown reason), or some other unknown unknown as the culprit.

PS Modding a cartridge, ie tapping a hole to allow refilling, makes no difference to the chip or the print head. Unless you did something really, really, really wrong. :eek:

Latest posts