Canon Pro-100 Support code 4100

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi,

I’ve been printing and enjoying some photos and after I wanted to perform a bottom plate cleaning, I couldn’t because of the following error 4100 below.
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 4.55.48 PM.png
I shut down the printer and re-started it but I was still getting the error. I tried printing a photo and it worked, then I said let’s repeat the bottom plate cleaning and it worked. I did reset successfully all carts during my last refill and I only got this error after I printed few A3+ and 4 US Letter photos... some in color and few in B&W. Somehow Canon can detect the carts were modified (top fill by removing the ball) even though I've reset them successfully using the supplied PC resetter. In total I think i've reset those ones 3x.

Any ideas or suggestions if this is serious or just ignore ... thank you.

MacOS Canon Pro-100 driver 16.41.0.0

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Well, that's new.

According to the Canon Pro 100s User Manual for Support Code 4100:

Cause
The specified data cannot be printed.

Action
When you print the contents on CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM, confirm the message on the computer screen, make sure that genuine Canon ink tanks are installed properly for all colors, then start printing again.

Page 453

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
hmm are posts moderated ? for some reason my post wasn't made public.
@stratman thank you. I did search a bit here, dpr and google, didn't find much and also found the above official canon error description, the common point between that and the screenshot is the usage of non genuine canon ink tanks ... i did also reach out to PC offline.

My only theory is that somehow the chip reset procedure isn't entirely bullet-proof or that the chips are corrupted but then i should get the error all the time ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
he common point between that and the screenshot is the usage of non genuine canon ink tanks ..
Use alternative software to print your photos from, because Canon CREATIVE PARK will cause that error to apear, the problem is your using setup cartridges that have been reset instead of newly purchased ones..

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Use alternative software to print your photos from, because Canon CREATIVE PARK will cause that error to apear, the problem is your using setup cartridges that have been reset instead of newly purchased ones..
Never used or don’t even know what CREATIVE PARK is. I only use either PS or LR to print. I got that error initially when I tried to run the bottom plate cleaning from the Mac Printer System Prefs printer utility.

As I mentioned above, post a restart of the printer and other failed cleaning job requests I then attempted to print an img from LR and it worked, then I tried again to do the cleaning and it worked. I haven’t printed more photos since.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Are the cartridges seated well ?
Try to reinsert them.
Otherwise clean both the contacts of the printhead and the carts with (isopropyl) alcohol.

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Are the cartridges seated well ?
Try to reinsert them.
Otherwise clean both the contacts of the printhead and the carts with (isopropyl) alcohol.
Thanks, I’ll clean the carts contacts with 99.9% electronics cleaner and the contact in the printhead. Doing so will also re-insert and seat them.

FYI the chips in the carts as well all carts except Y cart are all OEM chips and carts. Some suggested offline to buy another set (full or empty) setup carts which may reset the printer to accept both type of chips: oem Chips without reset, and reset chips, I guess ?

I print few test sheets then and no error since, weird. Update, I cleaned all 4 carts contacts, only the PM left some light traces on the cotton swab. I'll keep monitoring and report if any further errors.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I tried to run the bottom plate cleaning from the Mac Printer System Prefs printer utility
I do not use Mac. Is this utility you wrote Canon's or Mac's applikcation?

Also, just curious, why are you trying to do this cleaning? In other words, what other issues are you having?

aboulfad

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I do not use Mac. Is this utility you wrote Canon's or Mac's applikcation?

Also, just curious, why are you trying to do this cleaning? In other words, what other issues are you having?
This is the standard Mac or Win Printer utility that is part of the printer driver. When the Canon printer driver is installed, and the canon printer is added in system prefs, you can access the printer utility tool (Maintenance in Win). Read in screenshot for description of various cleaning options. It's a non issue for now as it's gone somehow, not sure if the restart, the print, the cleaning, any or none of those actions cleared it or if it will come back!

I should have tried the same operation from my Win7 VM (which has same 16.41.0.0 driver) to check.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.07.12 AM.png

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My gestalt about your error message is that the issue revolves around the recognition of the PC, BK, PM and C chips for whatever reason and NOT that you modified the cartridges. It also stands to reason that ALL your chipped cartridges that have been RESET would error out if Canon were somehow able to identify you had reset them.

A reset of those specific cartridges with your resetter OR brand new cartridges should resolve the issue. It may be that the chips are failing for some reason, though 4 at one time is bizarre if it were just due to random malfunction. Maybe the resetter did not properly reset them, such as low battery in the resetter or the techniques used when resetting. Maybe there is some issue of proper electrical contact of the chips with the print head, either positioning or oxidation.

Still, you are able to print, meaning the chips WORK!

My thinking is to first try to reset the chips again. If that does not work then get new OEM cartridges, or purchase used cartridges, flush, reset and refill. If the issue continues then suspect low battery in the resetter.

Latest posts