Canon Pro-100 Firmware 2.041

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, 3800/80, R2400, 7880
All,
It seems Canon releases firmware 2.041 for web update only at this moment; update through your printer. I went ahead and update mine because I am throwing away my Pro-100. Actually I am recycling 3 of them in total 2 are in storage unit at the moment. I am recycling due to high cost of replacement printhead, cannot figure out cyan inkflow issue and I want to focus more on pigment. Here the following tests I am going to perform before recycling. The effects on aftermarket chips reset, OEM chips reset, and ability to enter service mode. If anyone have request for a test with this firmware, let me know. I am planning to throw away by Mid Feb.

Firmware 2.041
Aftermarket ARC - No Issue (Chip from 2018)
OEM Chip Reset - No Issue
Service Mode - 4 times of the stop button to enter mode (not 5 or 6), STV6000 reads serial number correctly but fail with all available functions (code 6)

Firmware 2.031
Aftermarket ARC - No Issue (Chip from 2018)
OEM Chip Reset - No Issue
Service Mode - 4 times of the stop button to enter mode (not 5 or 6), STV6000 reads serial number correctly but fail with all available functions (code 6)

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
So you have 2 spare printers in storage withouy printheads? If they with printheads why tradh them?

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, I have a total of 4 bad printhead. Printer has less than 350pages print. I am going to claim I have the worst experience with Pro-100. This is not even counting the RMA I had once with canon on the Cyan channel issue too!
2 printheads with a dead nozzle on Cyan
1 printhead with a dead channel on Cyan
1 printhead with 3 dead nozzle on Cyan, 1 on LK, 2 on LLK. (Craigslist purchase as-is and was using PC42inkset too!)

I am using OEM CLI-42 and CLI-8 refillable (I have a total of 5 full set with OEM cart) and a chip resetter. All were using the original PC42 inkset. I had stopped printing on Pro-100 since 2021.

Anyway,I just bought a used Pro-100 over the weekend for $60, let me see if I can clear a clogged nozzle on PC. The funny thing is this user is getting B200 error and have printed 10,000 pages with aftermarket cartridge (not refillable). If I can get it cleared, I probably keep the pro-100 a little longer. I think I am done with the top-filling method. I am gonna go the German method to damage the sponge for better flow with this last printhead! Gonna give the SE inkset a try. I hate that my last purchase of PC42 was only a couple before SE came out. I was already experiencing clogging at that time and I thought I had a bad batch. The communication did not help much!

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think I am done with the top-filling method. I am gonna go the German method to damage the sponge for better
Just looking at your disastrous ownership of the Pro 100 printers, from the side line, it seems fairly simple what your problem is..

Your procedure for top filling these carts is working ok, but you are running the carts way beyond low ink warning which then allows the internal sponge to become saturated with bubbles. (Refill when there is still ink in the reservoir side)

The results of your poor ink flow is mainly down to this, and leads to some ink channels in the print head not getting sufficient ink flow, which then causes these nozzles to burn out..

Switching to the German method won’t help either, because this method requires just as much diligence to get that procedure right and won’t help with your initial problem of poor ink flow.. Plus you must run a nozzle check before you start your print run every day on start-up ..

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Your procedure for top filling these carts is working ok, but you are running the carts way beyond low ink warning which then allows the internal sponge to become saturated with bubbles. (Refill when there is still ink in the reservoir side)

The results of your poor ink flow is mainly down to this, and leads to some ink channels in the print head not getting sufficient ink flow, which then causes these nozzles to burn out..
I can guarantee and confidently tell you that I refill before the low ink sensor alarm on the computer screen. I ALWAYS nozzle check before and after printing any photo regardless Canon or Epson. I had been refilling with IP4500 and IP6000 with Hobbicolors since 2010 timeframe. I know better to not let the low ink monitor come in.

These are facts that make upset the most.

1. When I discover the clog, the Cyan clear tank was around 1/4-3/4 fulll. It usually happen 1-2 days after a print or a batch print. I always also print nozzle clog after a print batch to ensure nozzle are not clog especially after lost my first print head. I religiously clean my wiper and cap station just like my Epson.
2. I print strictly from network and not USB. Apparently, the network driver (signed 2016), has memory leak issue. I only print from QImage. After the first 2 printhead, I noticed the nozzle clog usually happen after memory leak issue. I did not know what memory leak issue was until I further research. e.g. Print a 13x19 photo and only partial of the photo get printed out like 1/8 of the print and the rest is white. Funny thing is the printhead still run over those white area with no ink. Nozzle check after was still good though. Only way to fix it was to reset the printer to factory default.
3. I recall at least with 2 incidents, I perform the nozzle checks about 1 week (also 1 day) after memory leak reset, the Cyan nozzle was partially clogged even though previous nozzle check was still good. I immediately check ink in cartridge and there were plenty in cyan.
4. I had even thought if aftermarket ARC chip was causing the printer memory leak so I bought OEM CLI-42 and chip resetter. It did not help!
5. If anyone research Cyan clog and Pro-100. It is very common clog regardless of ink provider. Even at one time, Mike@PC and other recommend to use other OEM for Cyan but aftermarket for other channel. I refuse to believe this because so many people have a full working setup with Cyan refill.

This leaves me to believe the following:
1. People were having Cyan issue was printer with FW 2.001 timeline. People had a very sucess were with FW1.xxx timeline. So could it be firmware related?
2. Jose R mention he had memory leak issue but you remedy by using USB. Hard to believe he usb all his printers on racks! :)
3. Canon had manufacturer defect on their printhead thus massive promotion/sale on Pro-100 instead dealing with recall? or Failed to scaled to larger production.

Since PC42SE is newer and I haven't seen cyan clog mention since its release, I am considering trying again if I have a fully function printhead. I recently realize that Pro-200 utilize same printhead as Pro-100. There is a good chance the printhead might flood the market again like with the Pro-100.

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I place my bets on the

Canon had manufacturer defect on their printhead thus massive promotion/sale on Pro-100 instead dealing with recall? or Failed to scaled to larger production.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I wouldn't bet on that. That promotion was only for Pro-100 printers sold in North America. No rebates at all in Europe or other regions. Unless all the defective printheads went to the American market and the rest of the world got the 'good ones', which is very unlikely, this theory seems rather far fetched.

Last edited:

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
1. When I discover the clog, the Cyan clear tank was around 1/4-3/4 fulll. It usually happen 1-2 days after a print or a batch print. I always also print nozzle clog after a print batch to ensure nozzle are not clog especially after lost my first print head. I religiously clean my wiper and cap station just like my Epson.
3. I recall at least with 2 incidents, I perform the nozzle checks about 1 week (also 1 day) after memory leak reset, the Cyan nozzle was partially clogged even though previous nozzle check was still good. I immediately check ink in cartridge and there were plenty in cyan.
What does the sponge and the sponge outlet look like when cyan stops printing? If they look pale then the sponge may be having trouble passing the ink through. If you are using the same ink bottle across the three troubled printers i'd suspect the ink may have gone bad from age/storage or may have been bad from the get go.

Another thing to look at is the weight of the refilled cart against a new cli 42 cartridge. The sponge may be in need of a recondition/flush especially if the refill carts were bought empty and potentially fully dried and/or unflushed. I dont think Cyan has the yellow gello issue nor does the canon sponge deteriorate like the foam pads used in third party cartridges.

If a new genuine cart fixes the clogging issue then its definitely an ink flow issue. You can then refill that known good cart with your current ink to troubleshoot which part of the refill process is causing the issue (Ink, Cart, Technique) . If the printer still has the same problem then your printhead is failing.

Stormlight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
For the sponge, it looked like normal with the typical nozzle imprinted. I would say it looked like any other color in term of wetness. On going forward, I am going do the drip test by taking out the top filling hole to see drip performance.

For reconditioning/washing the sponge, I know they are fully dried by weighing. 11g to 12g (maximum) is typical fully dried weight with no ball or plug.

I only use genuine Canon cartridges. I have about 3 set of CLI-8 with CLI-42 ARC and 2 set of CLI-42.

James Mike

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6270;G3010
For the sponge, it looked like normal with the typical nozzle imprinted. I would say it looked like any other color in term of wetness. On going forward, I am going do the drip test by taking out the top filling hole to see drip performance.

For reconditioning/washing the sponge, I know they are fully dried by weighing. 11g to 12g (maximum) is typical fully dried weight with no ball or plug.

I only use genuine Canon cartridges. I have about 3 set of CLI-8 with CLI-42 ARC and 2 set of CLI-42.
For the CLI-8 it should take about 13ml of ink or if allowed to be overfilled would stop dripping with 14.4g of ink added to the cartridge.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cli-8-and-cli-521-526-swap.7705/page-8

Not sure if the Canon megatank inks can be used to check and rule out your current inkset from being the culprit.

Hopefully its not a printer issue and it could be resolved.