Canon Pro-10 ink refill options

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is a tale as old as Adam and Eve - bad apple(s) spoiling the bunch.

Mikling can not be expected to absorb significant out of pocket losses, not to mention the resulting hassles, due to loss of product in transit. The people penalizing you are the bad apples. Mikling is a victim, too.

Thanks Stratman,
However, has anyone ever thought that it isn't always about the "money". On a monetary basis, it would still make sense.
However, I am the first to admit, I have a perfectionist streak on the cheap. Domestic shipping is tolerable but sometimes trying when there is so little that you can do to ensure the package arrives perfectly and it does not. One is theft, but more frequently when something does not arrive, it more likely the purchaser submitting a bad address..... and next the postal person delivering to the incorrect home. On the first, I filter many where I need to contact the person and determine if an Apt number is missing or something. I can use google map and that helps if I can see that building. This takes a lot of time. Determining if the spelling is correct, if it is a multiple residence of some sort etc. Contacting the person, waiting for a response etc. When a delivery person is at fault. then it can't be proven. However the resolution can be worked out much easier.

When you are given a foreign address, then that is a completely different matter. Now add in the possibility that some airlines flatly REFUSE liquid shipments.....and the package is sent back. All $72 of SHIPPING cost is lost by me, When the total is refunded. $72 is not going to kill me BUT it takes a long time to find out what happened like months before the package is returned and I have to deal with the issue immediately. OK, you get the idea. No thanks for the business, I want and need the business but not that badly. Let someone else take it up. I'm too old for all these issues. Then there is the customs that varies by country and you don't know where anything is. I wear all hats and I'm not willing to perform the services that MYUSA performs, remember for them it is a full time business and there is a reason for it. It's a lot of work. This is work that is not normal for a small outfit like myself.

At this stage, I feel I have come close to perfecting the products and am seeking a more routine life. This is something I have not had for a while. So something's gotta give.

It's not always about the money. Hypertension is something I need to manage.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I completely appreciate @mikling 's position in this matter of int'l shipments , but there could be an option to be evaluated. Would it be possible that the shipment of intl's orders are automatically transferred to a forwarder like myUS from the PC order entry system to the other system and handled from there, rather invisible for the user. This is actually not my idea but a service Pitney Bowes performs for foreign Ebay customers ordering from the U.S. I order something at company X - e.g. Fujifilm ink cartridges, pay to Ebay U.S. via Paypal, and all shipping and handling incl. prepaid taxes are done by Pitney Bowes, and a 2nd charge for S&H comes from Ebay for that service.
Here just an example
www.ebay.com/itm/Ink-Cartridges-for-Fujifilm-frontier-s-DX100-With-Chip-6pcs-set-new-ship/312859474021?hash=item48d7e0b865:g:5JoAAOSwbv9d2nvD

ink cartridges are shipped via a Global shipping program which is performed by Pitney Bowes, it's easy and it works, I got several shipments like that. A separate charge for losses, non-deliveries could be added. The service could be limited to particular countries or regions as well.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Agree with @Ink stained Fingers remark.
I understand custom regulations are so complex it is too much overhead for a small business.

MyUS does a good job but it is for people living in Dubai ;).

Pitney Bowes is for everyone who buys a small package at Ebay.

PS: I will continue with my ink findings (including the magenta problem) in my original thread about the PRO-10.

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000, Canon Pro-10
Thanks for the interesting and informative posts everyone! The discussion on shipping and the whole USA/EU/Rest of world thing is quite an eye opener.

I have now placed an order for ink and a "Chip Resetter" with Inkowl. Depending on the results I get I might try other suppliers. The order did produce a few surprises though, not all of them pleasant.

According to their web page (shipping estimate) they do ship to South Africa (using the slow postal service) and it was free for an order the size I wanted to order so I went ahead and placed an order.

I decided I could live with the slow delivery and placed the order, total $709. The next day I received an email saying they were not comfortable sending it via the postal service! I was given 2 options, UPS (Funny as locally UPS is handled by the same slow/un-trustworthy postal system!) and a USA address + Courier shipping company called "Postbox courier". This is a company that ships to South Africa (only) from different addresses in a few countries. A bit like MyUS.

I chose the second option. For a package the weight/size of mine (8,6kg) the additional USA address + courier cost was $288. I was then told I also need to pay tax because my address was now in NY like InkOwl. Another $61 was added.

Now I need to see what local taxes + custom fees will be added on my side. It could be up to 25% plus a fixed handling fee.

No so cheap anymore but still cheap compared to the price of OEM ink locally!

I am now looking at getting a device to create printer profiles. Nothing is available locally! Another import coming up....

I am looking at the X-Rite i1Studio, most likely from B&H as I have done business with them in the past and they offer decent courier services. Would this be an good option? Other than refilling I also want to try many different papers so I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you have an option to monitor Ebay for a while for a used ColorMunki as the predecessor of the i1Studio package ?
Forget to look for any Datacolor SpyderPrint packages - you won't get reliable results.

Yes, if you plan to 'play' with 3rd party inks and papers you should go for own profiling tools.

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, Ebay could be an option! Thanks, will look.

I agree on the SpyderPrint system, had one for a while but gave up on it.

Thanks, yes, I want to try many different combinations, enjoy experimenting and playing a bit as I have lots of time on my hands since retirement. I love trying different papers as well, it is such a personal thing that I feel I have to try it for myself before I decide if I like a paper or not and maybe keep it as an option for certain photos.

My local printer supplier finally received stock of the Pro-10S so mine should be here in the next few days, also had a special on so that is good. I ordered it with 2 additional OEM inksets, to get a feel for them and also to have more than one set to refill.

PK Project Manager

Printer Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am contemplating getting a Pro-10 for everyday, mostly personal printing. I would like to refill and I have a question on selecting the brand of ink to use. I understand that PC inks seem to be the best but it is not a real option for me as PC does not ship to my location directly and "indirectly" is a major pain!

I can easily source ink for the Pro-10 from Inkowl and inkproducts.com. Does anyone here have any experience with these two options? I am happy to create custom profiles if needed.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

This is great stuff! Very helpful especially for people who need to refill their Canon Pro-10 printer! Congrats on getting it featured on the homepage!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Thanks for the interesting and informative posts everyone! The discussion on shipping and the whole USA/EU/Rest of world thing is quite an eye opener.

I have now placed an order for ink and a "Chip Resetter" with Inkowl. Depending on the results I get I might try other suppliers. The order did produce a few surprises though, not all of them pleasant.

According to their web page (shipping estimate) they do ship to South Africa (using the slow postal service) and it was free for an order the size I wanted to order so I went ahead and placed an order.

I decided I could live with the slow delivery and placed the order, total $709. The next day I received an email saying they were not comfortable sending it via the postal service! I was given 2 options, UPS (Funny as locally UPS is handled by the same slow/un-trustworthy postal system!) and a USA address + Courier shipping company called "Postbox courier". This is a company that ships to South Africa (only) from different addresses in a few countries. A bit like MyUS.

I chose the second option. For a package the weight/size of mine (8,6kg) the additional USA address + courier cost was $288. I was then told I also need to pay tax because my address was now in NY like InkOwl. Another $61 was added.

Now I need to see what local taxes + custom fees will be added on my side. It could be up to 25% plus a fixed handling fee.

No so cheap anymore but still cheap compared to the price of OEM ink locally!

I am now looking at getting a device to create printer profiles. Nothing is available locally! Another import coming up....

I am looking at the X-Rite i1Studio, most likely from B&H as I have done business with them in the past and they offer decent courier services. Would this be an good option? Other than refilling I also want to try many different papers so I think it would be a worthwhile investment.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edit:

Great !

With a PRO-1000 you are reliable source of information about the Inkowl PRO-10 inkset :).

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
The printer arrive this afternoon, 2 days earlier than expected but I am not complaining!

I did a few quick test prints and I must say I am really happy! Quality is a good as the Pro-1000 (OEM inks in both) and setup was quick and easy. I tested a few papers that matched the included ICC profiles and they all performed as expected. Thanks for another great product Canon!

It would be interesting to compare the print quality between the Pro-1000 using OEM ink and the Pro-10S once I start refilling on the Pro-10. Maybe, just maybe, I would consider refilling the Pro-1000 as well, time will tell.

Since I have a large collection of paper that is not listed and without easy to find profiles as well as the planned refilling I decided to just bite the bullet and ordered the X-Rite i1Studio Spectrophotometer from B&H. It will also come in handy to calibrate my film scanner (and maybe my cameras? Not sure I want to do that!). Should be here within a few days as it is shipping via DHL.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Calibrating a camera would only make sense if you work in a studio with controlled lighting and rather fixed camera settings and lenses, if you work outside or in a varying environment you may get a better control of the white point by doing pre-shots with a gray card. Profiling a scanner can help to get consistent colors, but there is another parameter rather important - the acheivable black level - e.g. getting better with a 2nd scan pass - or getting scan output in HDR format for a wider latitude. The Vuescan software can help here in lots of cases since it makes scanner options available which are not supported by the original companies software , may offer multiple scans for noise reduction etc. Vuescan supports the vast majority of all scanners on the market.