Canon printers. How many of us are still refilling?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
would it be wise to get a new print head for the shelf? or with that little use, should the origional last .
In a perfect world that would be a good idea, but unfortunately that now can’t happen, because there are no more print heads available for your model printer, so when the print head dies that’s it for the printer..

You’re not alone in that either, many have had the same thing happen to them, and were forced to make the terrible decision to dump their perfectly good printer into the dumpster because of print head failure..

The only way you can future proof yourself is to look for a second hand Pro 100, even one with a bad print head and get it working properly, and least that way you’ll have another 5 more years of printing at your leisure..

Free dinners are only available for those poor unfortunates that are down on the luck and have no arse in the pockets..

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Like others here I have less need to print these days than of old but my trusty Pro-100 sits about 3 feet away from me as I type and when I need to print I just run a print head check and off I go. Been re-filling from day one and have two new print heads for the day when one might be needed. Thus far (touch wood) it's given me no problems and the secret, as far as my experience goes, is to always, always refill all carts as soon as one shows it's getting low and NEVER let one run dry. That was advice learned the hard way here on this forum courtesy of The Hat and for which I'm eternally grateful.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
The only way you can future proof yourself is to look for a second hand Pro 100, even one with a bad print head and get it working properly, and least that way you’ll have another 5 more years of printing at your leisure..
pro 100? is it the same print head as the pro 9000?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
No, unfortunately for Pro-9000 owners, it's a different model.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No, unfortunately for Pro-9000 owners, it's a different model.
I had two i9950 heads with different serial numbers, and I gave one to @Redbrickman for his Pro 9000 mk ll, but he sent it back to me saying he was getting an error and it wouldn’t recognise the new head.. Which I taught was very strange..

I then sent him the other head and it worked fine, and all dough both heads were compatible to the Pro9000, it seemed the Pro9000 mk ll used a newer and different head..

I was wondering if this could be the case with the Pro 100 and Pro 10 printers, the heads for the newer Pro 200 and Pro 300 are reckoned to be the same and fit each machine, but will they work in the older machines.. ? ?
P.S. I now have two print heads for the Pro 10 that I dont need....

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
these days, i would find it hard to justify buying a new printer, so i will try to keep this 9000 mk2 running. but if it fails, i guess i will be back to letter sized printers.

Kormak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma TS5151 Epson XP15K
Hello. I'm a newbe and have been using a Canon CL541XL cart for about 10 months. And refilling it actually almost every week.

i have a question. Do burned out nozzles show white streaks on the nozzle-check?
It's on the magenta en cyan. I've been repeating the cleaning up to 10 times now and the exact same atreaks in the exact same places keep coming up on every nozzle-check. And it's only on the half-tone color bar. The full bars seem ok.

I checked for lint, made sure the spinges were seated. Nothing helps.

Is this normal?

(night time picture)

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_040757_compress33.jpg
    IMG_20221101_040757_compress33.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 90

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I had two i9950 heads with different serial numbers, and I gave one to @Redbrickman for his Pro 9000 mk ll, but he sent it back to me saying he was getting an error and it wouldn’t recognise the new head.. Which I taught was very strange..

I then sent him the other head and it worked fine, and all dough both heads were compatible to the Pro9000, it seemed the Pro9000 mk ll used a newer and different head..

I was wondering if this could be the case with the Pro 100 and Pro 10 printers, the heads for the newer Pro 200 and Pro 300 are reckoned to be the same and fit each machine, but will they work in the older machines.. ? ?
P.S. I now have two print heads for the Pro 10 that I dont need....
I don’t think that Canon would make use of such devious methods. Suppose you need a printhead for a Pro-300 or a Pro-10 and the reference is the same. You order from a reseller a QY6-0085.
Do you think that they will know which serial numbers work for one printer but not for the other ?. Will Canon send them the information for knowing it ?.
That doesn’t makes any sense and it would be a total mess. Customers will complain loudly to the dealer if they received the wrong printhead and the dealer to Canon.

A different matter if the printheads for the Pro-200/300 have a different model number from those for the Pro-10/100, as it happened with the Pro-9000mkI and Pro-9000mkII, but remember that, in that particular case, the new printhead worked on the older printer.

For the time being, I haven’t seen on sale printheads for the Pro-200/300, at least on reliable places like Tasktron, E-parts or C1-supplies. Therefore, we still don’t know for sure the if the printheads share the same model number with the old printers.
Long story short : to be on the safe side, fetch printheads for the Pro-10/100 while you can.

BTW : how much for your QY6-00085 printheads ?. :p

Update : I just browsed Tasktron website and the QY6-0085 is compatible for the Pro-10/10s and PRO-300.
Likwise for the QY6-0084 being used in the Pro100 and Pro-200. So, no printhead worries for Pro10/100 users in the near future.

Last edited:

Nancypagano653

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson
For a very long time, I have been refilling ink.