Canon printers. How many of us are still refilling?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Fake printheads from aliexpress are killing the refillers badly, official not available anymore. Whats even more a problem is that bad printhrad can damage the printer or bad printer damage even oem new printhead. Canon did not solve this afaik.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Fake printheads from aliexpress are killing the refillers badly, official not available anymore. Whats even more a problem is that bad printhrad can damage the printer or bad printer damage even oem new printhead. Canon did not solve this afaik.
There was a news release recently that indicated Canon was pursuing legal action against some retailers for distributing and/or manufacturing the fake (reconditioned) printheads. Can't find it at the moment but it seems Canon have taken notice.

That said it's a shame that Canon haven't resurrected the manufacturing tools and lines to make new printheads... but not entirely unexpected as they are reliant on new printers to retain their profit model.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Fake printheads from aliexpress are killing the refillers badly, official not available anymore.
We here have been saying again and again not to purchase these New/Reconditioned Fake print heads out of China, and mostly its getting through.

But then we’re also getting others that say they’ve got one and they work great, when we know that’s not true, because these replacement heads may work but only for a very short while, and we never hear from that users again.. I wonder why ! :th

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
We here have been saying again and again not to purchase these New/Reconditioned Fake print heads out of China, and mostly its getting through.

But then we’re also getting others that say they’ve got one and they work great, when we know that’s not true, because these replacement heads may work but only for a very short while, and we never hear from that users again.. I wonder why ! :th
Well... FWIW, I have customers who've gone that route and tried things out. From last count the success rate has been around 30-40% but these are people who've taken a punt and not expected miracles. Long term I've not had any data come back but these were mostly people I've spoken to at length so they weren't shills.

The sample pool is less than 10 users though so it's by no means a recommendation.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It seems the remanufactured printheads are now offered under new brand names. For instance this. Notice this: "Color: QY6-0089 Single Black". Does that suggest that only PGBK is working, and no colours?

I noticed a handful of other brands too at Amazon.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If genuine print heads are not available or price is crazy the only option isto try aliexpress by using your revolut virtual debit card and pay by paypal. This way if aliexpress will not give full refund for non working print head there is paypal dispute and revolut dispute

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Buying even oem is big risk also, canon printers are known to damage good new print heads. It also can happen after certain time, like printing 20 photos

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
The glory days when the ip4000 was king. I'm still avoiding having to use original canon carts and although the days of resetters seem to be over. Still there remains refillable carts. Not the same but at least there is an alternative to the ridiculous prices of of OEM ink. I still have an Ip4700 along with a couple of MG 6250 printers and an ip7250 with compatible ink carts still printimg out fine photos. Am I alone? Please tell me that there are others who appreciate the the wonderful world of Canon printers.
i was refilling, but i went back to OEM, for the longevity i have a pro 9000 MK2, i will be trying the bulk for what i can get, but they will be bulk canon, as was descused in a different thread. there are only a couple of colors in bulk. i really do little printying, for the higher cost does not matter.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Still refilling my Maxify. I started "refilling" on dot matrix printer ribbons, but my first official refills were on the early Canon bubblejet black only cartridges. Jeez, those things were easy. Drill a hole, squirt ink in and back to printing.

Latest posts