Canon Pixma Pro-1 problem

sallor

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-1
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my Pixma PRO-1 had started to print photographs with less detail and quality than usual and, occasionally, some band appearing with lighter tones. A nozzle check shows each of the patterns for the grey colours in block 1 split into two solid parts (see attachment). I have tried a few cleaning cycles, a couple of deep cleaning and one system cleaning without success.

The printer is a 5 years old PRO-1, not very heavily used, always with original cartridges. In the last half a year before the problem became visible I only used it occasionally and mainly to print CDs.

IMG_20180528_0001B.jpg

Thank you for any hint or advice.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I would have to say the print head has an electronic failure (sorry), but would prefer to see a service test print to confirm that.

You might try removing the carts and print head, and re-seating everything...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @sallor, I am sorry for your loss, Ouch, as @turbguy has pointed out your print head has developed an electrical problem on one side and the whole print head will need replacing.

All the cleaning you have done has been for nothing and you have just wasted all your expensive inks, because printing one nozzle check before each print run could have saved your print head from damage or at least saved you from dumping the OEM ink into the maintenance tank.

You’ll have to ask yourself whether it is prudent to put more €’s into the Pro 1 or purchase a new printer, because using a Pro 1 for just CD’s is very wasteful and may cause the same problem to reoccur again.

By not exercising all the ink nozzles on a regular basis, you run the risk of them clogging up again, this printer is not designed to just print CD’s but needs a full work out, the more you print the better it preforms and less expensive it is to run.

If you decide to purchase a new print head and new inks, then PM me when you have done so, and I will guide you through the necessary steps needed for head removal...

WaSachs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
Hi @sallor, I am sorry for your loss, Ouch, as @turbguy has pointed out your print head has developed an electrical problem on one side and the whole print head will need replacing.

All the cleaning you have done has been for nothing and you have just wasted all your expensive inks, because printing one nozzle check before each print run could have saved your print head from damage or at least saved you from dumping the OEM ink into the maintenance tank.

You’ll have to ask yourself whether it is prudent to put more €’s into the Pro 1 or purchase a new printer, because using a Pro 1 for just CD’s is very wasteful and may cause the same problem to reoccur again.

By not exercising all the ink nozzles on a regular basis, you run the risk of them clogging up again, this printer is not designed to just print CD’s but needs a full work out, the more you print the better it preforms and less expensive it is to run.

If you decide to purchase a new print head and new inks, then PM me when you have done so, and I will guide you through the necessary steps needed for head removal...
Hi @The Hat
I am having a similar problem to @sallor on print group 2, except that the first band of each color is good, but the second, lighter bands are missing for three colors, but not the Yellow. I have tried cleaning group 2, deep cleaning gorup 2, system cleaning, leaving for 24 hrs and trying again, but would appreciate your advice on whether this is a clogged head, or an electronic issue. I assume its just clogged as I had not used the printer for over a year due to work/studies.
I'd appreciate any input - should I dump the PRO-1 and buy new, or carry on cleaning ?
IMG_20211002_0001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_0001.jpg
    IMG_20211002_0001.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'd appreciate any input - should I dump the PRO-1 and buy new, or carry on cleaning ?
Unfortunately, the print head is beyond saving, you have an electrical problem in all of block two that cleaning won’t fix, and now you can decide whether to purchase a head and inks or as you say dump it and buy a new printer..

New Canon printers are not cheap, so maybe a second hand Pro 10 would be your best and cheapest alternative, and the ink you have now will work in the Pro 10, but you need to ask yourself if a colour laser would be better suited, leaving inkjets idle for long periods isn’t good..

WaSachs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
Unfortunately, the print head is beyond saving, you have an electrical problem in all of block two that cleaning won’t fix, and now you can decide whether to purchase a head and inks or as you say dump it and buy a new printer..

New Canon printers are not cheap, so maybe a second hand Pro 10 would be your best and cheapest alternative, and the ink you have now will work in the Pro 10, but you need to ask yourself if a colour laser would be better suited, leaving inkjets idle for long periods isn’t good..
Thank you for the quick reply, much appreciate the insightful wisdom.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

Additionally, replacement printheads for the PRO-10 will stay available, since they are used in the next model PRO-300 too.
Very sturdy printheads BTW.

https://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/Item/qy6-0085-canon-print-head

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I hope you’re right about the sturdiness of the printhead. ;)

Not easy to find secondhand Pro-10 nowadays. It depends also on the area where the buyer is located. Probably in the U.S. chances are higher.
Some European Amazon sites still have new Canon Pro10s listed ( and not precisely cheap), but they’re always ‘temporarily’ out of stock.
At Canon official stores no more Pro-10 or Pro-100, of course. Even the Pro-200 and Pro-300 are unavailable right now.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

See PM