Canon Pixma MX722 alignment

Eville-usr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung CLP-325W
I posted this already on a Stack Exchange site, but found out about this place later.

I have a Canon Pixma MX722 printer. I purchased new actual Canon cartridges for the thing and installed them. I can see the colors, but even after doing a manual print head alignment the black ink still is not correct. See image please.

Question: Is this fixable?
Also: Is it worth fixing this, in your view?

I appreciate your expertise.

Attachments

• Scan_20181229-smaller.jpg
    Scan_20181229-smaller.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 364

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you please upload a nozzle check? It is better than the alignment page for diagnostic purposes.

Eville-usr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung CLP-325W
I will do so after work today; please wait...

Eville-usr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung CLP-325W
So much later than I thought, it is attached. Thank you.

Attachments

• Scan_20190101-smaller.jpg
    Scan_20190101-smaller.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 395

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As I am sure @PeterBJ suspected, the nozzle check of the pigment black channel shows split bowed lines which demonstrates irreparable warped pigment black nozzles. This is believed caused by heat and may be due to aftermarket ink that does not cool the nozzles as they heat up to spit out the ink. Read more here.

You can workaround this malfunction by using a photo paper setting in Paper Setting. Choosing Plain Paper setting uses pigment black. Using a photo paper setting does not use pigment black but does use the other color dye-based inks to make black. Because of this, text may not be as sharp or have water resistance. The other solution is to buy another print head.

Beware that print heads sold out of China may be fraudulent in that they are refurbished in counterfeit packaging. They have a high rate of failure out of the box. Buy new print heads from authorized dealers if they are still available.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The nozzle check also shows fuzziness in the vertical bars surrounding the "BK" letters. This means that the photo black nozzles are also damaged, so probably selecting matte photo paper in the paper setting will bring no improvement. Only a new print head will bring the printer back to good working order. It seems this damage of both the pigment and dye black nozzles is caused by a weakness in the print heads of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation.

The type number for the MX722 print head is QY6-0086. The best supplier of Canon spare parts in the US seems to be Canon. See this post and this.

Last edited:

Eville-usr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung CLP-325W
I will telephone them to morrow and let you all know! :)

Eville-usr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung CLP-325W
OK. I got someone in the parts/repair department. He, very honestly, said that the cost would be ~100 USD for a new print head and that I could get a new printer for about the same. I am not sure I want to completely sink money into this, but I hate to throw out this much plastic and metal on account of a single part that could be fairly easily replaced.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I could get a new printer for about the same.
If the difference is nominal between a new MX722 and a replacement print head then go with the new printer. You can always keep the old one for parts.

Eville-usr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung CLP-325W
I have an idea to gift this printer (with the new head installed) to a friend. Would this be reasonable, or just a white elephant for them? I mean as far as being able to get ink for this thing in the future. I don't know how often the ink cartridges are made after a model is withdrawn.