Canon Pixma MP750 for only $99.99

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This seems to be the perfect place to post this as there's a bunch of you with MP750 or similars..

This is a post from 2 different forums I've tried with no luck to date so if anyone can provide the info here I'll be over the moon...

Hi folks,

This is a plea really for anyone who has opted for a multi-functional Canon printer of the MP750 - MP780 range to see if anyone has thought of, tried or at least looked at the unit with a view to using a continuous ink supply system with it.

I know I'm probably going to have to find this out myself the hard way but right now I'm hoping that there's at least SOME chance that someone with experience of CIS installation on the Pixma printers will be able to tell me whether it'll work or not.

Add to that I'm trying to find a definitive answer as to how many cartridges the MP7x0 units take and what they actually are. So far the resources I've checked seem to be a little vague on this.

Mid Post Edit:
I've now been able to double check a few things and finally work out that the MP750 is equivalent to an iP4000 in terms of the actual inks, cartridge layout, etc... so that side of things is sorted (wouldn't mind confirmation though!)

What remains is an understanding of any issues that might be brought about by trying to place the tubing...

At first look (based on pictures) it looks a lot like I'll have my work cut out for me trying to get the tubing into the system as there's no obvious access... So in fact it seems that what I really could use is some photos of the actual unit from all angles and especially of the ink tank replacement procedure.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful and utlimately I'll be posting back on what I find so you never know it might be a quid pro quo :)

Thanks in advance..
I really would appreciate any help on this one as I suspect there would be others who could benefit from the info too... So, as I said originall, many thanks in advance for your input :)

Martin

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey Martin, welcome to the forum!

I'm one of the people who has an MP750 (great little machine) but unfortunately with the start of my new job at www.AskJeeves.com I haven't had nearly enough time to play and print as I did before. I would love to be printing enough to have the volume to justify a CFS / CIS. Unfortunately no matter what printing projects I took on I just couldn't use enough ink to find a way to justify replacing the ever so simple refill process with a CIS.

Hopefully there is a CIS / CFS master out there that can point you in the right direction.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
nifty-stuff.com said:
Hey Martin, welcome to the forum!
:) Thanks for the welcome

I'm one of the people who has an MP750 (great little machine) but unfortunately with the start of my new job at www.AskJeeves.com I haven't had nearly enough time to play and print as I did before. I would love to be printing enough to have the volume to justify a CFS / CIS. Unfortunately no matter what printing projects I took on I just couldn't use enough ink to find a way to justify replacing the ever so simple refill process with a CIS.
In truth, the main information I'm looking for at this point is graphical... ie: LOTS of pictures of the unit from all angles and especially information and images on the guts of the system (ie: how cartridges are replaced, what room is available internally, etc..) So, if you can pull out the old digital camera and snap a bunch of pictures I'd be very grateful indeed (email: info AT allthefaqs.net). No rush but it would scratch an itch that's been bugging me a lot of late. *flutters little doe like eyes* :D

Hopefully there is a CIS / CFS master out there that can point you in the right direction.
Well I'm bidding on a second hand unit today so I may get it sooner than later and find out myself...

Does grate slightly that I'll be paying double for a 2nd hand machine compared to what you paid brand new though... *cue: much grumbling* ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ok, small update on this...

I hadn't expected to manage it but I've sourced a MP750 which should be on its way in the next couple of days so don't worry about those pics anymore... Seems a bit daft if I have the actual unit here to look at :)

I'll keep you posted on what I find out but in the mean time are there any pointers on refilling carts for the MP750 as I'll doubtless end up doing this if nothing else. Bearing in mind that I won't be looking for photo quality, just reasonable colour printing.

Cheers

Martin

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well it's arrived and at first glance I was thinking... "yeah no problem" but on reflection I don't actually have any cartridges here to see just how much clearance there is above the actual cartridges compared to the head tops.

Overall it's going to be tight no matter what I do and I suspect it's going to be fun overall trying to get the pathways resolved for ink.. But all that said I think the Pixma 4000 isn't all that different and having spent some time poring over a bunch of images for the 4000 vs' this one I think it's likely that a CISs is going to be possible...

I'll document my approach in full and post it up on continuousink.info once the CIS kit arrives from MIS sometime in the next week or so.

Cheers

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey Martin,

Did you mention what it is you'll be printing for which you'll need a CIS? I've mentioned before, but I'll say it again, these tanks are just so stinkin' easy to refill that it's almost unnecessary to use a CIS.

This being said, I really hope you give it a try and take LOTS of pictures!!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
nifty-stuff.com said:
Did you mention what it is you'll be printing for which you'll need a CIS? I've mentioned before, but I'll say it again, these tanks are just so stinkin' easy to refill that it's almost unnecessary to use a CIS.
Heh ... Oh I know, and that's good too.

Ok, I'll let you in on a secret... The reason I'm so keen to see if a CIS will work with this baby is because I'm currently working my behind off on an idea that involves providing printers pre-equipped with CIS with the customer base emphasis on simplicity with cost savings. Then all the individual ever need do, is top up the paper tray and the ink reservoirs from time to time. Everything else would be up to me in terms of maintenance, etc...

As you can probably imagine, a lot of the target market would sooner buy a new cartridge than top one up so despite it's ease, it's still too much work for them..

... and the reasoning behind the MP7x0 series is simple... if you can have a printer that doubles as a photocopier (colour and black and white), does document scanning too (and could fax if you want the MP780) AND keep it cheaper than photocopying itself then you're on to a winner... Or at least that's the hope :p

This being said, I really hope you give it a try and take LOTS of pictures!!!
:D Worry not, I will most certainly do that.. I'll keep you posted ;)

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Getting on this thread somewhat late, but it seems there is somewhat of a polite debate in the last parts of this thread on if its worth adding a CIS to any of the MP 750, 760, 780 series of printer which are all based on the pixma ip4000 printer engine.

A negative factor cited is the fact that these are fairly large cartridges and its so easy to just pop in a newly refilled cartridge that it hardly seems worth it. A valid point and implies a CIS would be more worthwhile on printers with small ink capacity. Somehow something like the hp8250 springs to mind where ink capacities of the various cartridges range from miniscule 3.5 ml all the way up to 10ml.

But I ask the following question.---------starting my my experience that a new cartridge in any make of printer tends to deliver perhaps an overabundance of ink.
I reallly notice it in say a text based black. At least the first few pages shows a very strong black. Then over the course of use the subsequent pages appear less black, and then near the end of cartridge life tend to appear downright weak.

If the same thing happens in photoprinting with color cartridges, it implies that the color balance of the print would be affected by exactly how full a given cartridge is and also how consistantly a given printer delivers ink to the printhead over the life cycle of the cartridge. With some printers being maybe better than others.

And also implie a CIS might be better in terms of consistant ink delivery and there by produce more predictable results.

Not advocating anything here but throwing this idea up for discussion.

I also seem to be noticing the supply of old style Canons with the non chipped cartridges seems to be rapidly drying up.---with one ebay vendor recently selling an new ip 4000 not only without the rebate coupon but without the cartridges also.
And got a very good price to boot.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Osage said:
And also implie a CIS might be better in terms of consistant ink delivery and there by produce more predictable results.
Having not actually used a Canon since about 1998 I couldn't comment on this at all but as you've highlighted it, I'll certainly keep an eye out for this particular sort of issue and report back once I have things working.

I also seem to be noticing the supply of old style Canons with the non chipped cartridges seems to be rapidly drying up.---with one ebay vendor recently selling an new ip 4000 not only without the rebate coupon but without the cartridges also.
And got a very good price to boot.
This is something that I am worried about as it makes my efforts more than a little moot if the very thing I'm testing ends up being out of supply completely.

Begs the question as to how long it'll be before someone comes up with auto-reset chips (or similar) for the newer Canons coming out.

BTW... which Canons are chipped? I haven't looked too hard but it'd be useful to know what's going on there.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Osage said:
But I ask the following question.---------starting my my experience that a new cartridge in any make of printer tends to deliver perhaps an overabundance of ink.
I reallly notice it in say a text based black. At least the first few pages shows a very strong black. Then over the course of use the subsequent pages appear less black, and then near the end of cartridge life tend to appear downright weak.

If the same thing happens in photoprinting with color cartridges, it implies that the color balance of the print would be affected by exactly how full a given cartridge is and also how consistantly a given printer delivers ink to the printhead over the life cycle of the cartridge. With some printers being maybe better than others.
I print only color photos, so I can't comment on text. Yesterday I printed 10 identical copies of a 12x18 image, and changed the PM and M carts after 2 prints and the PC and Y carts after 6 more prints. There was no visible color shift after either cart change.

These carts were cleaned with a hot water purge several months ago and refilled at least 3 times after that in the conventional manner with the same bulk ink. I feel that these steps are important to this success:
1. Clean the sponges of all old ink residue (glop) with a good purge procedure before switching inks.
2. Get the sponge into the right position (by tapping the cart at various angles on a hard surface) so that it is firmly down against the filter and only loosely against the back wall.
3. Find a bulk ink that works for you and stick with it.
4. The carts are run until the printer says that they are empty - carts aren't pulled for inspection until at least one of them is completely empty and the prijnter refuses to print. Even then, the only carts that are pulled for inspection are those where the ink level can't be seen without pulling them.
5. Once a cart is pulled, it is always put back or a new one installed within 30 seconds - the ink pickups are never allowed to dry out.
6. On any new carts, make sure that the bottom of the filter is wet with ink before it is installed. I never have to do this any more, but you can gently blow into the vent hole on the top of the cart to cause ink to drip through the filter before it is installed. If ink doesn't flow freely through the filter, you can have printing problems, perhaps of the type that Osage described above. Usually, I saw banding when I had an ink delivery problem, not a change in the color.
7. The spare carts are stored in clips in a sealed food container with a moistened paper towel in the bottom (using a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol to prevent anything from growing inside the container). When a cart becomes empty, it is put back into the same clip that held its replacement, and these empties are stored in the same food container that holds the full ones to prevent any drying out until the empties are refilled.