Canon Pixma MP620

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have also got an MP620 and service tools versions 3200 and 3400 work very well with that printer. These versions are recommended for the MP620 as they work with all Windows versions XP and newer and both 32 and 64 bit.

The problem is not the service tool version, but that an error in the printer prevents the service tool from working. The printer must be able to function normally in user mode for the service tools to work in service mode.
I can get into service mode as you describe, 3200 downloaded a long time ago when I tap print I notice region is JPN Japan? I have tried to download fresh versions but Google blocked the download, something about security. I have also taken the L/H end of completely. This enables me to raise the lid right up with a wedge. Carriage moves smoothly from end to end gave a good clean around the park and wiper blade positions with Window cleaner. The M/C is definitely doing a lot of cleaning cycles and there is also clicking and clunking sounds I never heard before. But the parking pads/rubber gasket seem fine, unless a tube has fallen off?.

So at a loss this error why comes and goes which indicates to me that it cannot be anything very serious. There are 4 HP and 1 Brother printers in our family, but they all use original carts. Perhaps I will look in that direction. If I cannot resolve this problem. Thanks again

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Your previously downloaded service tool v3200 is OK. A version 3400 that is also OK can be downloaded here, it is a rar archive that needs to be unpacked before use.

Newer downloads of service tools from the web are often infested with malware. It has become risky searching for service manuals and service tools.

The "JPN" button is actually a drop down menu from which you select the region you want to set the printer to, click to enlarge:

ST3200 region setting.jpg

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Your previously downloaded service tool v3200 is OK. A version 3400 that is also OK can be downloaded here, it is a rar archive that needs to be unpacked before use.

Newer downloads of service tools from the web are often infested with malware. It has become risky searching for service manuals and service tools.

The "JPN" button is actually a drop down menu from which you select the region you want to set the printer to, click to enlarge:

View attachment 7011
Thanks for link as you say my onload searches have been very risky. Anyway pleased to report got it going again (fingers crossed) I added another printer called Canon MP640 and made it default printer. Iniatally it did not print (no5100 error) but troubleshooter checked everything fine except for the yellow triangle when you select detailed information. I cured this by going to the printer maintenance-LAN-settings check WEP go out into lounge hold WEP in for 5 seconds, come back press OK and it starts to look for connection and locks on. Now OK for now, However cleaning seems eccessive if single copies cleans after each print and there seems to be a lot of clicking and clanging noises going on. So long term we will see. Thanks again for your unstinting assistance

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for link as you say my onload searches have been very risky. Anyway pleased to report got it going again (fingers crossed) I added another printer called Canon MP640 and made it default printer. Iniatally it did not print (no5100 error) but troubleshooter checked everything fine except for the yellow triangle when you select detailed information. I cured this by going to the printer maintenance-LAN-settings check WEP go out into lounge hold WEP in for 5 seconds, come back press OK and it starts to look for connection and locks on. Now OK for now, However cleaning seems eccessive if single copies cleans after each print and there seems to be a lot of clicking and clanging noises going on. So long term we will see. Thanks again for your unstinting assistance
Downloaded link unpacked but like all the others the page is greyed out. Tried various compatabily modes but made no difference. Current MP drivers are Windows 8.1. any suggestions appreciated.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess you mean the service tool is greyed out? This is because the service tool sees no compatible printer connected via USB and turned on. No other printers may be connected to the computer when doing service mode operations. The service tools only work via a USB connection, LAN or WLAN connection cannot be used even if the printer may have these connectivities.

I have just done some tests with service tool ST3400, a Canon MP620 and a computer using Win 8.1 64 bit.

If the printer is connected via USB and turned on in user mode the service tool is not greyed out, but attempting an operation from the service tool results in an "Error 006"

If the printer is connected via USB and turned on in service mode the service tool is fully functional. That the printer has entered service mode properly can be seen on the display that shows two lines of text "Service Mode" and "Idle".

If more (Canon?) printers than the one you want to do service mode operations on, are connected to the computer and turned on, the service tool is not greyed out, but attempting service mode operations will result in an "Error 006"

If the printer you want to do service modes on has an error this can prevent the service tool from working, the service tool will be greyed out when attempting a service mode operation.

Could a printer error be the cause of the greyed out service tool?

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I guess you mean the service tool is greyed out? This is because the service tool sees no compatible printer connected via USB and turned on. No other printers may be connected to the computer when doing service mode operations. The service tools only work via a USB connection, LAN or WLAN connection cannot be used even if the printer may have these connectivities.

I have just done some tests with service tool ST3400, a Canon MP620 and a computer using Win 8.1 64 bit.

If the printer is connected via USB and turned on in user mode the service tool is not greyed out, but attempting an operation from the service tool results in an "Error 006"

If the printer is connected via USB and turned on in service mode the service tool is fully functional. That the printer has entered service mode properly can be seen on the display that shows two lines of text "Service Mode" and "Idle".

If more (Canon?) printers than the one you want to do service mode operations on, are connected to the computer and turned on, the service tool is not greyed out, but attempting service mode operations will result in an "Error 006"

If the printer you want to do service modes on has an error this can prevent the service tool from working, the service tool will be greyed out when attempting a service mode operation.

Could a printer error be the cause of the greyed out service tool?
Thanks will investigate further. Was connected via USB when I tried. I have got the 2 lines in service mode so that part is working as you know had error5100 but not now being displayed and printer is fine. Perhaps I had better leave things as they are. I was curious to print something out. Also all models of the service tools I have give the same greyed out appearance.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For the service tools to function in service mode, the printer must be able to print from USB in normal user mode. I suggest to print the Windows printer test page or a nozzle check from the drivers maintenance tab using the USB connection. If you are normally using the LAN connection, this must be disconnected for the test.