Canon Pixma MP620... in service mode, idle. What next?

cvrosemont

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma mp620
Hi all, I hope someone can help me get my good old mp620 back up and running. I love my mp620. It's been an amazing workhorse. I don't want to chuck it into the landfill. I just want it to print like before.

My printer is attached to my Mac laptop via USB cable. I've been printing with this set-up for years without issue. Until this last month...

For the last several months, the warning message about "the ink absorber pads being nearly full" had come on occasionally. As I was on deadline, I ignored it, pressed OK, and continued printing on my merry way.

Finally, the dreaded error code 5B00 and 'service required' came on and the unit stopped printing completely. I managed to pull out the two tiny ink absorber pads; thoroughly rinsed and dried them; and replaced them in the printer....

I thought clean pads would solve everything. But, no. When i power ON the printer, it continues to stop with the same 5B00 error code on the display. I went through holding the red STOP button and then hold down the ON button, tap the STOP a bunch of times, etc., etc., etc. (I had googled and found many step-by-step instructions). Somehow, I got pass the 5B00 error code and now my printer displays SERVICE MODE and IDLE. And that's where it still sits. So, what do I do now? (I'm reluctant to power off because I don't remember how I got the printer pass the 5B00 error code and into Service Mode.)

Thank you for any advice/help.

cvrosemont

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma mp620
cvrosemont adding more info here:

On my mac, i go to the system preference > Printer/scanner > Canon Device.... and try to do a TEST PRINT and it gets stuck in the print queue, saying "printer offline". I checked the cables and all are connected. Then I initiate 'align print head' and nothing happens (even though that action is listed in the print monitor box). The printer continues to sit there and display SERVICE MODE, IDLE. Nothing.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
When in service mode it’s totally normal that the computer can’t see the printer.
I guess that you entered in it by pure chance ?.

On the MP620 this is done easily in the traditional way:
( start with the printer switched off).
A- Press and Hold ‘Resume’
B- Press and hold ’Power’
C- When the power led lights in green, release ‘Resume’. Then press ‘Resume’ twice and release it.
D- Release ‘Power’

The power led will blink for a few seconds and then will remain steady. You’re in service mode. Given that your MP620 has a display, you can check it there.
As you’re already in service mode, no need to shut off the printer and start again.

To fix your the waste ink full error you need run the service tool utility.
See the post by @PeterBJ :
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-service-tool-v2000.6615/page-16#post-85611

See also the following link for downloading the service mode manual:
https://elektrotanya.com/canon_mp620_mp628.pdf/download.html
(you need to click on “Download” below the document preview )
I hope this helps.

PS:
The service tool linked above has been updated several times, to make it compatible with newer printers, but I believe v2.00 should work OK with the MP620. Other members of this forum with more knowledge in this matter may be able to enlighten us further.
Cheers
Artur

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@cvrosemont, It would seem your printer is in Service Mode and is now waiting on instructions to proceed.

So, press the resume button four times and then the On/Off button once, nothing should happen, now press the resume button twice and the On/Off button once and your printer should print out information about your printer.

When the print is finished just hit the On/Off button once and your back in business, the next time you power back on the printer, it should work as normal...

44 test.PNG

Edit Update: The service Tool wont work on his Mac..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Oops, I missed that part about the OP using a Mac. Sorry, my bad.

@The Hat : Do you mean that the MP620 can be operated standalone in service mode as older models like the IP4000 ?. I thought that with this printer, a service tool was compulsory.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@The Hat : Do you mean that the MP620 can be operated standalone in service mode as older models like the IP4000 ?. I thought that with this printer, a service tool was compulsory.
I reckon going on how easy he was able to enter Service Mode it can, but Ops, :oops: maybe I’m wrong too, but let’s hope he won’t need to connect to a PC, because that might end up being a right mess...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Oops, I missed that part about the OP using a Mac. Sorry, my bad.

The procedure for entering the service mode is the same for the iP4000 and the MP620. But once the service mode has been entered the iP4000 needs push button codes for service mode operation. These codes are a stand alone operation. The MP620 needs a special software service tool and the service mode operations are performed from a Windows PC. No Macs or Linux computers can be used here.

@cvrosemont Apart from a Windows computer running 32 or 64 bit Windows XP or newer OS version, you also need a Canon Service Tool. The version V3400 is the one I recommend for these printers. It is found as an attachment to this post by @CakeHole .

It is also important that the MP620 is attached to the computer using a USB cable. Wireless or LAN connection cannot be used even if the printer might have these capabilities. It is also important that no other printers are connected to the computer, else the service tool may not work.

The MP620 has been locked due to the ink absorber being full. The only possible operation is unlocking the printer by resetting the absorber counter from service mode. After the reset the printer should work again.

Here is what to click when in service mode:

Absorber reset..jpg

After clicking set the printer will most likely produce a print after some seconds. The print will be "D=000.0" in the upper left corner. Else you can do the EEPROM print to confirm the absorber has become resat. Look for D=000.0.

Notice that paper must be present in both the cassette and the rear feed tray as you cannot predict which paper source the printer will use for printing the confirmation or the EEPROM page.

The ink absorbers are not the two small pieces of hard and porous plastic. These small plastic pieces are the purge pads which are used during print head cleaning. The ink absorber pads are much bigger and made from a felt like material. They are buried deep inside the printer and are difficult to get at. The absorber pads are item 13 in figure 7 in the parts catalog found here: https://docslide.com.br/download/link/canon-mp620-parts-catalog

Some say you can continue printing after resetting the absorbers just once, others say you risk a nasty ink spill when the absorbers overflow.

If you can reset the absorber counter successfully then write again and I will give some instructions for dismantling the printer to clean the ink absorbers, I think new absorber pads cannot be found.

Edit: Before downloading the service manual from the link in post #5 see this instruction.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Some say you can continue printing after resetting the absorbers just once, others say you risk a nasty ink spill when the absorbers overflow.
If you do not clean or replace the ink absorber pads then you can place a tray under the printer in the event that ink overflows the pads and leaks out. You may need to use some sort of material - rubber/silicone pad/? - under, and maybe inside, the tray to prevent the printer-tray from sliding around during operation.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I guess that ink overflow isn’t very likely to happen unless you print several thousands of pages per month.
For instance, I own a IP3000 with 42000 pages printed. Inkpad counter was resetted once but pads weren't replaced/cleaned and no overflow to report.
In all logic, the ink drained into the absorbing felt, as times goes by, slowly looses by evaporation volatile parts such water and other solvents. What is left is a very concentrated and messy residue, I’ve dismantled several Canons and when you reach the lower part where the pads sit, you need to wear gloves and strip naked or wear a raincoat, unless you want to destroy your clothes. Probably if I threw into a big swimming pool the absorbing pads of my IP3000, it would turn all the water black as coal.:D

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe you are not married? There is no WAF if ink leaks onto furniture or floor.

Yes, reports are that you can reset once without cleaning/replacing the pads. Still, an ounce of prevention may prevent Pounds in alimony payments. ;)