Canon Pixma iP7250 Straight after changing Black ink cartridge, no black at all printing.

Paul Spittlehouse

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Hi, I'm brand new to the Community so hello to everyone, I'm from the UK if that makes any difference.

I have a Canon Pixma iP7250 which I have never had any problems with. Recently I'd not used the printer for about two months, I was moving house and it was all boxed up but stored the right way up. Anyway about two weeks ago I plugged the printer in and did a couple of test print pictures which came out perfectly. Anyway a couple of the inks, including both blacks and yellow I think, but DEFINITELY black as here in lies the problem, needed changing as they were running low (this hadn't effected the quality of the two test prints I'd done).

I had a box of brand new inks, compatibles which I've used since day one of using the printer, actually they weren't brand new they were about two months old. After doing the appropriate ink changes I thought things would be fine so i just printed a picture but it came out with none of the black from the cartridge used for printing pictures not text, outlines etc. So I did a deep nozzle clean or whatever its called and when i printed the test page all the lines were solid but the black, nothing what so ever, not even a little smudge. I went to a shop near me that does compatibles and bought a couple, got home feeling great, put one in, the exact same thing, no black at all.

Can someone PLEASE help me but when it come to printers I'm no expert (as in going inside them) but any help at all would be massively appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, Paul. X

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
The Ip7250 has 2 black carts. The large one is used for text and is meant to have pigment ink, not used for photos. The smaller ink cartridge is filled with black dye ink and is used for photos. You seem to be suffering from a blocked print head. Lots of ways to get round this but if normal head cleaning doesn't work then best bet is to remove the print head (youtube video) and immerse it in hot (not boiling water) Lot's of tips on here for unclogging printheads. Do a search. IMO there are no magic solutions and hot water works as well as anything.

Forcing hot water through the offending clogged jet is my favorite ploy but you need a syringe and something that connects to the syringe to cover the blocked inkjet. Another option would be to use a syringe to fill your photo black with hot water and do a head clean. This often works.

Surprised that no-one else has answered your query but I think many of us have begun to accept that the ink cartridge refilling days are over.

Still there are still many tips to help with your problem but personally I haven't found anything that works better than hot water. Don't give up on your IP7250. It's a piece of plastic crap but it is cheap, easy to maintain and far better value than anything that Canon currently offers.