Canon Pixma IP4000 - suddenly stopped printing anything

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To have the iP4000 working again would be great but there is a small risk that the logic board is damaged so you’ll have to weight up the odds and take a leap of faith if you want to get a new print head for it.

Now the bad news, that particular print head QY 600- 49 is no longer available but it can be gotten on EBay in the US so long as it’s not a Chinese refurbished one !!! If it were me I’d risk getting a new head for it…
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/qy6-0049

Thanks The Hat
I had picked this one out on Ebay ,its brand new according to the seller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shipping-fr...r-CANON-I865-IP4000-MP760-MP780-/300958057358

I actually bought the printer at a car boot sale last year for 5 euro :)
I picked up a Pixma 3500 for 25 euro and an Ip4500 for 25 euro too

They all have issues though.
The Ip3500 tends to clog in Magenta and the 3000 clogs in Cyan .
4000 head is fried and the 4500 managed to pull a usb cable into the paper feed and damage a roller,a pity as it was in immaculate condition.

I'll probably buy another printhead unless I can pick up another bargain at a car boot sale .:p

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update:
It seems the 3eBk is still working fine but no other colours work .
I tried soaking the head in cleaning fluid but it made no difference ,the head looks ok ,as in none of the nozzles look blocked .

I'm a bit stumped .

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Update:
It seems the 3eBk is still working fine but no other colours work .
I tried soaking the head in cleaning fluid but it made no difference ,the head looks ok ,as in none of the nozzles look blocked .

I'm a bit stumped .
Are you referring to your old print head or the new one you have just purchased ? ? :idunno

Fano

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Are you referring to your old print head or the new one you have just purchased ? ? :idunno
Sorry m8,I am talking about the old head ,I havent bought a new one yet ,thought I'd have another go at reviving the old head.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Proper function of the purge unit is vital for the proper function of the print head. Here is a link to turbguy's purge unit test.

If the test is a pass, then most likely the print head and/or the logic board is defective. Loosing all dye nozzles is a typical electronic failure of Canon print heads, and only a new print head might help.

When a Canon print head fails electronically, it can damage the logic board. The now damaged logic board can damage a new print head, so replacing the print head is a gamble, and I cannot tell what your chance of success is.