Canon Pixma IP4000 - suddenly stopped printing anything

RoyThomas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This Canon Pixma IP4000 suddenly stopped printing anything on the paper no warning, nothing

There is no failed printhead warning lights flashing and it still attempts to print as usual but nothing is coming out on the page. Ive tried all the usual stuff and I am currently soaking the printhead in cartridge flush (Windex isnt available in the UK as ammonia based products are generally unavailable on safety grounds).

Ive not encountered a printhead stop print altogether (ie. all colours failing at once, usually some of them print very poorly or cross contamination occurs)- Im wondering if buying a new printhead would be a waste of money. I dont have another Canon of exactly the same type to swap the head with. As a last resort I will dismantle the printhead (Ive done this several times before mostly when the head has completely had it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any suggested web sites in the US or UK where it would be best to get the replacement? Canon printhead product code is QY6-0049 for iP4000.

Many thanks, Roy

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
One thing you could do is remove the print head and then power down the printer and see if it asks you for the print head when you turn it on and see if it's happy when you put it back in. If so, it is probably safe to swap your print head into another printer or put another print head in yours.

There are several Canon printers that share the same print head as the iP4000, including the very popular MP780. This link lists some of them:

http://www.myprinthead.com/index.php?searchstring=ip4000&x=8&y=7

I don't recommend that you buy one from them, this link has better prices:

http://www.inkcessories.com/index.asp?txtSearch=qy6-0049&btnSearch=GO&PageAction=PRODSEARCH

This last supplier sometimes sells on eBay for even cheaper prices.

RoyThomas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the rapid reply !

When I take the printhead out and power down the printer and then power up again it appears to go through the normal startup cycle and then just displays the normal power on steady green light by the power button. Is this right? Should it show amber warning signals that the printhead is missing or something? What happens in other IP4000s when the print head is removed?

Regards, Roy

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Ip4000 service manual states that a "printhead not installed" error is indicated by the LED blinking orange five times.

RoyThomas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well its definitely not flashing orange five times while the printhead is out of the printer. The status light is steady green i.e. OK. This seems very odd. Regrettably I dont have a copy of the service manual.

Does anyone have any information of how the printers electronics can be reset?

Regards, Roy

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here's a good place to download the IP4000 service manual.
He offers some additional useful information for this printer.

http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/Canon_IP4000.htm

"I have used many Inkjet Printers and the IP4000 has been the best one I have ever had. I am dedicating this page to help others with what I have learned and hope it is of help to you if you have an IP4000. ...snip..."

Printing on printable CDs and DVDs (tutorial with pictures)

Resetting Ink-waste Overflow Counter (procedure)

Canon IP4000 Service Manual (downloadable file)
http://www.timtaylor.net/tech/iP4000_Service_Manual.pdf

Lilla

P.S. In his Tech Stuff section , he has "Epson R200 and R210 Service Manual"

RoyThomas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies I now have a copy of the service manual for the ip4000 (from one of the links above) and Im working through the possibilities for repair etc.

Regards, Roy

Stuts

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Pixma iP4000 HELP!!! My iP4000 started printing poorly even after several cleaning attempts. SO, I bought a new print head and replaced the absorbant pads. Now, only the 3e black cart. prints. There is no color what so ever. I removed the head, tried to print and got the warning of no print head installed. Is there hope? Is it time to put a bullet in it? I need a printer soon. Stuts Yes, I tried deep cleaning several times.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Ask yourself a critical question. When you installed the new print head the first time did it print colors at all, even once? The answer to this is the answer to the question if the problem is in the printer itself or not. If the problem is in the printer there may not be much hope to repair it. Buy another printer, such as an ip4300. It is probably cheaper for a new ip4300 than a new ip4000 print head.

If your answer is yes, the problem may be in the absorbant pad you replaced. It needs to be wet in order to be able to protect the nozzles from drying out. If the new print head is primed and full of ink but it wasn't properly protected by the new pad you may lose all the colors by just over night. It won't print the next day.

If this is the case, don't keep printing to burn out the heaters. Charge the print head with Windex that contains Ammonia. Charge the pad with the Windex too. You can't rush to get the print head unclogged. It can take a few days to slowly restore all the nozzles.

Latest posts