Canon MG6150

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
MP640 wrote:

Are you kidding me? A and B tiles are the same shade of grey?? Something must be terribly wrong with my eyes, then.
I think nothing is wrong with your eyes. It is just the way this illusion works. I thought the same as you did and was going to find a better picture of this illusion, which I remember having seen before on the web. But as a test I printed the picture and literally cut and pasted the "B" square next to the "A" square. From this scan it is seen that the two squares really are identical in color:

6881_illusion.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ said:
From this scan it is seen that the two squares really are identical in color:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_illusion.jpg
They are not the same shade of gray. Tile A is slightly darker, though it may be an artifact of your snip and scan. (Yes, I blocked out the rest of the image to compare the tiles so as to not be influenced by other colors or luminescence.)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I find most of these visual tests only gives these inventers the results they are looking for by creating something
that is perceived by everyone to be the same as everything else around it.

Time and time again these testers always uses a dark colour to surround their test subject area to convince the unwary
of what they are seeing is correct but of course they are just fooling with your brain and your eves have to go along with it.

If anyone would care to look at sbrads test photo again this time with their eyes and the brain in neutral
they will clearly see that the B square is in fact the same shade of light grey as the other 13 light squares on the test board.

The other 12 dark grey squares are surrounded by the light ones giving them a perceived lighter shade than they actually are.

But the 13 light squares on the other hand are also perceived to be darker
than they actually are because they are deliberately surrounded by the darker ones.

But if you look at the test board again there are only two shades of grey squares on the entire board and not four,
so the B square has to be is a different colour to that of the A square completely. (Still not convinced)

Now PeterBJ came up with a brilliant way to prove the testers theory was in fact correct (An Illusion).

The elephant in the room here is the green brain blocker that is shading the subject B square and some others
from getting the same level of light that the A square is receiving,
it's the light levels that are different in this test photo and not the squares at all.

If anyone would care to repeat PeterBJs test again for themselves but this time cut the dark square
immediately to the left of the B square and test it against the two dark squares on the bottom right of the board.

5128_illusion.jpg

Now I think it will be clear to all that their cut-out square will look very much darker than the two on the bottom
of the test board but in fact it is the same colour. (Still not convinced)

This illusion and the earlier one posted by RogerB are actually one and the same illusion that can occasionally
if let overwhelm and confuse the human brain and put it into overdrive.

PererBj test proves this by showing that the B square looks identical to the A square I.E. the same colour
but switch off the illusion a minute and rethink it out again the colours may well look the same but actually they are not in reality.

They are cunningly arranged to trick and convince your brain into thinking just what the testers want you to think and nothing else,
your eyes have nothing to do with the answer thats why these beautiful illusions work so very well.

The op put it down to simply blaming our visual system and not to trust it,
the wrong here would be into thinking that we see something that's not really there then making the eyes see it even when its an illusion.

Say what you see later and not what you first think.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Adobe Photoshop Point Color Sampler reports that tiles A and B are BOTH R 120, G 120, B 120.

2540_clipboard011.jpg

Your point is??

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
turbguy said:
Adobe Photoshop Point Color Sampler reports that tiles A and B are BOTH R 120, G 120, B 120.
Your point is??
I totally agree with you and thats my point.
Its just an illusion youre looking at cause simply by the shadow,

but that still doesnt make them the same colour in reality..:fl

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The Hat said:
turbguy said:
Your point is??
I totally agree with you and thats my point.
Its just an illusion youre looking at cause simply by the shadow,

but that still doesnt make them the same colour in reality..:fl
But by physical measurement, they ARE the same color, in reality!

"when you can measure what
you are speaking about, .
you know something about it;
but when you cannot measure it, .
your knowledge is of a meager
and unsatisfactory kind."

Lord Kelvin 1883

Wayne

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
PeterBJ said:
From this scan it is seen that the two squares really are identical in color:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_illusion.jpg
They are not the same shade of gray. Tile A is slightly darker, though it may be an artifact of your snip and scan. (Yes, I blocked out the rest of the image to compare the tiles so as to not be influenced by other colors or luminescence.)
Just sample the tiles in Photoshop. I have to do that to really believe when i first saw that pictures years ago.

Edit: ops, someone did that before

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How about a cheaper, yet not top notch, profiler?
I don't own Profile Prism but used it to profile a few times and my strongly casted prints got right really fast. It uses your scanner as a color sampler.