Canon MG8120 partially clogged nozzles, need new printhead?

GnatGoSplat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8120
I don't print very much, but now that I need to print a photo, I discovered my Canon MG8120 has a partially clogged printhead. The problem is Cyan. It is currently half full. It was completely full, but I've drained it (and all the other inks) doing repeated nozzle cleaning and deep cleaning. Literally at least 30-times and nozzle check pattern keeps coming out the same. Note that there is a little problem with GY, but that just started and the tank is low and needs replacing so I'm not too worried about that yet.
Please excuse that I used scrap paper, hate to waste paper (didn't realize the other side would bleed through so much on the scan).

canonprinterproblem_zpsxx9wx8jr.jpg

I've tried the hot water flush procedure described at this site (http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2804) already. 3-times. No change.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Due to the evenness of the light line in the darkest Cyan block, I suspect an electrical problem with the print head, but I would need to see a "service test print" (which shows all colors in a grid pattern, just like the PGBK pattern) to confirm. I don't know how to force one from your MG8120.

Does anyone else know how?

In the meantime, I would try an overnight soak of the print head in original windex, resting on soft paper towels, with a depth of windex just above the cart inlet screens, and a full dry out, and then retry a regular nozzle test print.

In any event, avoid printing anything until this is resolved. If the nozzle heaters are firing and no ink is in the nozzles (due to a blockage), you can overheat the affected nozzles and permanently damage them.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@GnatGoSplat, just reading thought all the trouble shooting you’ve done, and I can tell you that your print head has some burned out cyan nozzles and no further amounts of soaking, cleaning or water flushing is going to make any difference to it, you’ll have to purchase a new head if you wish to print out your photos.

One or two normal head cleans is usually sufficient to clear up a few blocked nozzles, even running an extra one or two deep head cleans maybe required on real stubborn clogs, but any more than that is just wasting your ink, and contributing awful lot to filling up your waste ink pads.

You need to keep your printer happy by running an nozzle check print at least once a week, this will keep the heads from drying out and keep them in perfect condition for that all important photo print..

GnatGoSplat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8120
Thanks for the link to instructions on how to get into service mode. I was able to get it communicating with Service Tool v3400. Which options performs a "service test print"? The "Nozzle Check" button just prints the same one as I posted. "Print test" produces the following:
IMG_3810_zpsmnlzwulr.jpg

Black ink is getting low and starting to have gaps in nozzle check so not surprised by the gaps on the black ink, but I wonder if those rectangular gaps in the cyan are supposed to be there?

I think you're right about the print head needing replaced. Unfortunately, I didn't realize there was a class action about it that ended on Dec 7. It's been like this for several months. Could have gotten Canon to buy me a print head. They're about $50 on eBay. Any better place to get one?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
That appears to be a service test print. Those regular blank spots in Cyan (and green?) indicate an electronic issue. Strage, no yellow?

Canon, USA parts department typically has the good pricing for new print heads in the USA, but you'll have to call them (1-800 number, google it)...

Last edited:

GnatGoSplat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8120
Thanks. No point in doing the Windex soak you mentioned then? I don't have any original Windex, but I'd get some to try if it would help. Sounds like it's already past that though.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
IMO, the print head has failed. You can do the Windex soak, it's worth a try...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
That appears to be a service test print. Those regular blank spots in Cyan (and green?) indicate an electronic issue. Strage, no yellow?...

Some Canon printers print yellow on top of cyan to make it more visible when doing an extended nozzle check from service mode. These extended nozzle checks are grid patterns for all colours, but they are small and might be difficult to see clearly, especially for yellow ink on white paper in artificial light.

Last edited:

GnatGoSplat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8120
Did a Windex soak. Even went so far as to use a vacuum pump in reverse to force water under pressure through the cyan. Neither worked, results still the same. It appears in that test print when I look under a magnifying glass, that a number of alternating nozzles appear to be not working in a block. Kind of odd, but I'm guessing being a distinctive pattern is what indicates it's an electrical problem and not clogged?
Looks like I will buy a print head and hope that fixes it. How much risk is there the problem could be the printer itself?

I would seriously consider buying a new one and selling this one as a fixer-upper, but it looks like Canon doesn't have a current model equivalent with as much scanning resolution for 35mm slides which is the reason I bought this one. Kind of odd, but I guess in this modern day people don't come across many slides.