Canon MG8120 partially clogged nozzles, need new printhead?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Did a Windex soak. Even went so far as to use a vacuum pump in reverse to force water under pressure through the cyan. Neither worked, results still the same. It appears in that test print when I look under a magnifying glass, that a number of alternating nozzles appear to be not working in a block. Kind of odd, but I'm guessing being a distinctive pattern is what indicates it's an electrical problem and not clogged?
Looks like I will buy a print head and hope that fixes it. How much risk is there the problem could be the printer itself?

I would seriously consider buying a new one and selling this one as a fixer-upper, but it looks like Canon doesn't have a current model equivalent with as much scanning resolution for 35mm slides which is the reason I bought this one. Kind of odd, but I guess in this modern day people don't come across many slides.
Yup, print head issue. You've done all you can expect replace the print head. That's the next step. That has a high probability of restoring you printer.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Printhead is QY6-0078-000, about € 90-115.

Otherwise you could keep the printer as scanner and B&W single side printer.

In that case you must mask the contact of the dark cyan nozzle row.
If not the head will fail sooner or later.

There are some layouts published on the forum, but as far as I know not for this type.
Maybe you can use the known ones as a guide.
In this post some are discussed:

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/pgbk-doesnt-print.9121/#post-71495

Last edited:

GnatGoSplat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG8120
Ugh, bought a supposed brand new, OEM print head from eBay, and here's what I get.

canonprinterproblem2_zps2pl92nia.jpg

canonprinterproblem2b_zpsay1of3vx.jpg

Much worse than my original print head. Did 3 manual nozzle cleanings on top of the 5-minute head cleaning the printer did on its own, zero improvement to the cyan.
I'm going to guess this print head is borked as well due to the consistent absence of even a trace of cyan below the middle of the dark cyan bar.
What do you think?

Already my brand new ink carts are down to 1/3rd and I haven't printed anything but nozzle checks.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Buying from eBay is always a questionable issue. I would try another head, and see if you can return the "new" one. If that repeats, then it could be a logic board problem.