Canon MG2550 5B00 error

Milos Radic

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG2550
I just wanted to ask is there any help for my Canon MG2550 printer, this is the story... My neighbour gave me printer to fix it, it flashed alarm light 8 times which means ink absorber full so i cleaned it out thinking it had some sort of sensor that detects level of ink in it but I wery quickly figured it out its not the case. So I tried lots thing that i found online.. like holding power button while plugging it in and nothnig helped. Then i tried that thing with holding resume button and presing 5 times and i think i did it once by accident and second time on puropose so i can use service tool v3400 and it went in to service mode no problem. I pressed set ink absorber to 0 and program crashed so i stupidly plugged power cord out and now it wont go in to service mode (orange light stuck). So i figured out i cant to anything anymore i gave it back to him and said i cant do it. He tried to replace black ink because it was running low and after that it just blinks green and orange light alternatively (7 times) which means error 5B00. It wont print or anything. I found out that if I press resume button 4 times instead of 5 it appears in my PC as "Device" and i can print test patterns and head alignments by holding resume button and waiting for 4 alarm flashes etc.. But when i turn it off after that it wont turn back on i have to plug it out wait few seconds (i guess for capacitors to discharge) and than i can turn it on back again. So i guess is there any help? And also if i hold resume button while pluggign in the power it starts flashing every 2 or 3 seconds and again appears as "Device" on pc but i cant do anythig.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Milos Radic, reading through the list of things you have done to the printer is astonishing, put simply the printer didn’t stand a chance and I reckon it is beyond saving.

The ink all most full notice and error was the problem and you should have checked out how to resolve that issue first before doing anything else, the old saying is to measure twice and cut once.

8 flashing lights is a software issue that needed to be tackled first, then the waste ink, but you overloaded the printer with too many parameters, and it responded by locking you out, it now needs to be returned to Canon Service, which is not recommended.. sorry ...:(

Milos Radic

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG2550
Oh i know i was really stupid rushing in to it, but for the future what should i do differently

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
but for the future what should i do differently
Come here and ask all the questions you want before committing yourself to any action you may want to carry out on your printer, we will never steer you wrong.. ;)

Four Oaks

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG2550
I have a friend's Canon MG2550 which is showing the "ink absorber nearly full" error.
I have dismantled the printer and successfully cleaned out the absorber, but I can't reset the counter. I have tried the suggested methods of various combinations of "restart" and "power on" button presses to no avail.
So, is the only option the "v3400 service tool"? If so it's not a problem - if someone can tell me where to get it - and is that the correct tool for this printer?
Thanks, David.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to this seller of Canon service tool v.5204 the Canon MG 2500 series printers are disposable and cannot be resat.

Scroll down to :"• PRINTERS THAT CAN NOT RESET MG24xx/25xx, MG29xx AND THE ONE MARKED WITH (# 1). Disposable

The service tool might be used to get some info from the printer as the warranty might be limited by number of printed pages.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service tool v.5204 is claimed to support the Maxify printers. But some say it contains malware, others that it is a false positive. See this thread by @palombian .

As the service tool should support Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10 and 32 and 64 bit, it might be a good idea to use an old computer with no personal info for the reset.

Four Oaks

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG2550
According to this seller of Canon service tool v.5204 the Canon MG 2500 series printers are disposable and cannot be resat.

Scroll down to :"• PRINTERS THAT CAN NOT RESET MG24xx/25xx, MG29xx AND THE ONE MARKED WITH (# 1). Disposable

The service tool might be used to get some info from the printer as the warranty might be limited by number of printed pages.
Oh, that's really annoying! The owner is elderly and doesn't really understand the disposable society. Oh well, a difficult conversation coming up. I guess at least it should last a bit longer 'till the "absorber full" count is reached.

Thanks anyway, David.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If there’s anything in it like malware then it won’t run on my Win8 O/S so I will use it on my old Mac running Win Xp which does not have internet access..

The ironic thing is I gained access to the waste ink tank and didn’t fit a Printer Potty at the time because there was no service tool available for that model, so there was no point.. Never say never…:barnie