Canon ip8750/ip8760/ip8720/ip8740 ink absorber reset

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
Hello,

I just bought this printer and because I want to be ready to operate it to its full potential, I would like to know if anyone here have tried accessing service mode on one of those printers, and resetted its ink absorber's counter using Service Tool (which version should I use to prevent bricking?)

I cannot find anything on this particular model, it seems like nobody has it!

I have found a page stating that Service Tool 5103 support Canon ip8740, which is similar to ip8750 (it's just different depending on your world region).

But how to be sure ?

My goal is to use that printer as designed for some time, and when ink pads will be full, reset it, and install an external ink tank

Thank you

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The iP8750 is of the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation, so version 4720 of the service tool should be able to reset the absorber counter without locking service mode. Don't use service tools version 3600 or older, they will lock service mode.

I have locked service mode on an MG5550 by using version 3400 and successfully resat the absorber counter on an MG5450S and successfully printed EEPROM and test pages from an iP7250 using version 4720 without causing lock of service mode. These three printers are all of the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation.

You don't need to buy service tool version 4720, see this post for a free download and notice possible virus warning. It seems the same warning applies to versions of the service tool bought from Ebay.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you very much for the report. Did you have to disable your antivirus or make an exception rule to run the service tool?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have reset the waste counter to a Pixma IP8750 with the service tool V5204.
Yes it would be very interesting to know what procedures you used to complete the task, and congratulations..

Manu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
IP8750 - Pro 10S
I put the printer in service mode, connected by WiFi and through the 5 presses, with each press of the cancel button the white and amber leds light up interspersed, and lastly the power button but not at the same time. Everything in a slow way.
Then connect the usb cable and open Service Tool V5204.
On the Main page press EEPRON and the information sheet is printed, and in D = the % of Ink Absorber Counter is displayed.
Click on the Ink Absorber Counter Set with the value at 0, and print another sheet to verify that it has passed.
I think the described is quite accurate because I try to memorize everything for the next time I have to repeat it.
The program has a key and pay 5,5€ by ebay, No problem with antivirus. The seller does not continue to sell it.

Attachments

• Service mode IP8750.jpg
    Service mode IP8750.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 600
  • after .jpg
    after .jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 660

Manu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
IP8750 - Pro 10S
I just opened the service tool program and windows defender has reported a virus threat, that is, the day I opened it for the printer, windows defender was not activated.
The service tool program was bought in August 2019, the seller does not continue to work and is the ¨Canon ST v 5204 Service tool 5204 unlimited for 1PC¨.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have the v4720 service tool that works with PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation printers. When I downloaded it there was no virus warning but after a couple ow weeks more antivirus programs flagged the tool.

I recommend the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware that does on demand scans as a good supplement to your other antivirus program

I recommend to use a dedicated harddisk or old laptop with no personal info for the service tools. See this post.

From thrift stores I have got an MG7150 of the 50/51 generation with electronic control panel, MG6853 of the 70/71 generation and TS6150 of the 80/81 generation. I intend to buy the service tool v5204 for test in the near future, I will then report my results on the forum.

snowylemoncat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
I
Hello,

I just bought this printer and because I want to be ready to operate it to its full potential, I would like to know if anyone here have tried accessing service mode on one of those printers, and resetted its ink absorber's counter using Service Tool (which version should I use to prevent bricking?)

I cannot find anything on this particular model, it seems like nobody has it!

I have found a page stating that Service Tool 5103 support Canon ip8740, which is similar to ip8750 (it's just different depending on your world region).

But how to be sure ?

My goal is to use that printer as designed for some time, and when ink pads will be full, reset it, and install an external ink tank

Thank you
I have a Canon IP8750 that i use for graphic printing. The absorber error message just came up last week after heavy use for 3 years. Ive taken out the absorber and thoroughly cleaned it. As for the error message tried the method here using this tool V5204 from ebay (link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264428243635?ul_noapp=tru). The way i put it on service mode was press and hold the cancel/resume button (with the triangle) then press ON button, led will be white. Whilst holding down ON button, release cancel/resume button and press 6 times every time the led should light amber. Then release both buttons. The power led will remain white and then open the service tool and go on the EEPROM, absorber value should be 0% and then print the function sheet and you're all done!

Latest posts