Canon IP6700d and CIS system?

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well,I'm not sure where your going with this. Vacuum in an intake manifold is created by the venturie effect. The thing is, to get a venturie effect the velocity of the air wizzing by the venturie has to be sufficient in order to create the vaccuum. this really doesn't apply to a printer, since the velocities are much too low.

I have experience with peristaltic pumps, I have 4 of them that I use for introducing fertilizers into my planted fish tank operated on timers, that deliver a specific volume, over a given amount of time. but thats another discussion. I know this much, a peristaltic pumb can operate over some serious head pressure, or create a serious vacuum on the other end. It's a positive displacement pump limited only by the rigidity of the tubing and it's ability to withstand expansion or collapse.

Are we talking about refilling cartridges or a CIS sytem.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well I'm lost... All these veiled hints to mechanical engineering principles and I'm ready to hand over my CIS tech badge...

... and yes I would have liked a diagram but then I never did any formal mech eng.. :p

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that the peristaltic pump can cause some serious pressure or vacuum. Now look at the printer.....the CIS and all connections MUST be able to withstand serious vacuum under the cleaning cycles. After all the pump has pull ink through the printhead...... with fine holes.

Vacuum varies between idle and and full throttle. Same with printer.... printing is idling... full throttle is cleaning.

Now the ultimate giveaway...... there is an air void around the Canon seals. It's a bad design for an interface. Pull a strong vacuum on that and this air void grows like a bubble expanding.....IF the cartridge can instantly supply the large volume. In a sealed cartridge... the incompressible ink transmits this vacuum through the feed lines. Now with tiny feed lines the head loss or pressure varies greatly with idle and full throttle. ( Take a syringe and needle.... lfeel the pressure between a slow pull and a fast pull) The result is that if a high vacuum is created behind the printhead every single interface must be able to withstand this instant demand or air gets gets sucked into the head. Even if you put two washers to seal, you still have that void and potential bubble. See why some CIS's leak air and some are OK for a while.

The washers are there to try and patch the bad Canon seal. But there is another path of least resistance.

On the surface... the CIS seemed easy enough.

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For now I think I'll stick to refilling. See my refiiling thread.

Xalky

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was just about to post a thread on how well my new CIS is working and poo-poo the naysayers. I decided to update this one instead. I had to spend the money to find out for myself. The best $75 I've ever spent...PERIOD

I have this one set up on my ip6700d. http://www.kyson.yangportal.com/Canon IP6600 K.htm It's friggin awesome dude. If you print a lot like I do, refilling was a real thorn in my side.

There's a few things you need to be aware of:
* You'll have to transfer your chips from your old cartridges over to the new ones.
* I had to modify my case so that the hoses would not interfere with carriage movement on the left side beneath the cover
* The lid has to stay open on the printer and you have to stick something into the lid switch and tape it there so it thinks the lid is shut.
* I had a problem with one of my cartridges showing as "incorrect cartridge" It had something to do with one of the chips not being in its proper position and sending an error code.

* I would'nt reccomend this to someone that's not at least a little mechanically inclined and likes to tinker.

I can take pictures and show you what it looks like.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Xalky, I don't mean to pour cold water over your joy of success in using a Chinese made CISS. You can expect to have fun for a while but better to watch out for problems down the road. Not just things will break loose your print head can be clogged by a malfunctioning CISS. Before a CISS quit supplying steady flow of ink it often leaks or reduces ink feeding. If it leaks you will have a mess. If it reduces ink feeding, but not totally stops, your print head will be clogged and possibly cocked if you keep printing. A malfunctioning CISS on a piezo based Epson printer will only print poorly but not causing any harm to the print head. But a malfunctioning CISS can kill a Canon or HP print head. Better watch out. I almost killed my ip4300 print head from using a CISS bought on eBay. Had some good time with it then some things broke loose and nozzle pattern showed clearly that the print head was suffering. I am glad that I made a quick decision to stop, abandoned the CISS, took a loss, and never looked back ever. Was able to recover from it. It is amazing that the nozzle pattern is as healthy as before. I am straight in refilling OEM carts only now. No more troubles and worries. Woo hoo!!! Take care and good luck.

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I can tell you that I already have more pages logged on this printhead than I did on the previous printhead which was killed by refilling. So far this thing is great. Not to mention the 30 or 40 refills I would have performed in that amount of time. Plus I've not once had a clogged print head or had to run a test page since the CIS has been installed, that's how trouble-free this CIS has been.

After about 3-4 refills I'd have to rinse out the cartridges to get a clean test print. And the mess and inconvenience of refilling. I print about 50 full page color prints a week. Refilling just wasn't practical for me.

If you're printing 5-10 prints weekly, which is about one refill, refilling might be practical for you but for me the time savings and convenience of running a CIS far out weigh the risks of burning out a printhead. I burn em out refilling, so it's just a matter of time before I'll burn this one out too. But, in the mean time my life will be happy and trouble free. The price and ease of changing a printhead is worth it, compared to the price of buying Canon cartridges. I know I've saved $hundreds of dollars on ink, maybe even $1000s on ink since I started refilling. The CIS just makes it even better IMO.

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My Chinese CIS has been running flawlessly on my i9900 for more than two months. I got it for $49 with 800 ml of ink. That's less than ink alone at Hobbicolors prices. The colors are wonderful and I have had two semi-clogs in the green color and no other problem. Ink refills are cheap.

It just runs and runs, but is not for beginners. The item is available for the 6-color models and I am ordering two before the whole business shuts down a la Epson. It looks like the patent (1999) for multi-color inkjet CIS using a vacuum feed is held by Encad, or their assignee. The patent would cover any CIS no matter which machine you put it in. Dabblers beware.

I made one change; I suspended the ink supply ribbon from a large rubber band tied to a vertical rod in front of the printer. This way the ribbon flips back and forth internally in the machine in space not occupied by anything else, and has a floppy attachment point. It is easy to mash your CIS ribbon in an i9900 since the carriage travel is so long.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
WhiteDog said:
It looks like the patent (1999) for multi-color inkjet CIS using a vacuum feed is held by Encad, or their assignee. The patent would cover any CIS no matter which machine you put it in. Dabblers beware.
Wasn't aware that anyone held a patent on such an obvious principle...

Wonder if anyone will end up in the firing line for that then?

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
From time to time the patent office does allow a patent to slip through on a process which is obvious, but the onus is on the potential unlicenced user of the concept to invalidate the patent, which remains valid along with all the dangers of infringment. Sometimes great ideas are introduced without patent, only for it to be clear years later that they were patentable. Arthur C Clarke's invention of the artificial earth satellite is in this class, and may be the all-time winner. Arthur would have been the richest man in history if he had collected a royalty for every satellite pass around the earth, but his concept was contributed to the public domain by publication in a short story. Published ideas are not patentable afterwards. The best discussion of recent developments in connection with inkjets I have found is at Luminous Landscape.