Canon iP4500.

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
Forget about ip4600. It is a printer designed to get money from your pocket.
Don't understand this comment. I am finding this as good as the ip4500. Granted there aren't compatible carts available...... yet....... but there weren't for the ip4500 when it came out! Yes if you use their new carts every time, the ip4600 will be very expensive to run, but nobody here is going to do that!!!! The only downside for the ip4600 is having to top up the ink a little more often.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I do think Hobbicolors is cheaper even with the postage it comes out cheaper,, but to all that use Hobbicolors do you see a difference in print quality or is it the same as the canon ink? also on the ip4500 what settings do you recommend to set it at or should i just leave it at default? thanks.

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I use ascprinting Canon ink and it is absolutely fine. I print hundreds of full colour pics a month (around 2500!). I personally don't see the point in importing ink from America when we have perfectly suitable ink available in the UK. Phoenixdirectuk are also suppliers of quality Canon bottled ink.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
DomtheMon said:
I use ascprinting Canon ink and it is absolutely fine. I print hundreds of full colour pics a month (around 2500!). I personally don't see the point in importing ink from America when we have perfectly suitable ink available in the UK. Phoenixdirectuk are also suppliers of quality Canon bottled ink.
Ok thanks if i google the names it will take me to there website,, also does this site have a better intructions on how to rifill because the hobbicolors i don't understand it,, drill here do this and do that just mixes me up.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
DomtheMon said:
They don't ship to Greece.

petrocelli

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How long have you been using ascprinting?I ask because i think most people are wary of head damage over a period of time with unknown ink.Also I recently got a 100ml of Phoenix black pigment ink and whilst the price was good and it printed good quality black text it is not waterproof.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I guess it is not true pigmented ink. True pigmented ink is waterproof. Many Chinese brand BCI-3ebk prefilled ink cartridges came with dye based ink in them. Bulk bottles they sell will probably be the same too. Before you buy the ink you want to ask if they do not clearly advertise it. True pigmented ink is more expensive. But it is worth the money.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ok i got everything installed, but can someone give me instructions on how to install the CD tray thanks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Try here for enabling CD printing - http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=105.

Outside of the USA, Canon and aftermarketers will sell customers CD Trays directly. In the USA, the usual source is eBay. Reason for USA issue is due to patent laws and Canon stubborness.

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
petrocelli said:
How long have you been using ascprinting?I ask because i think most people are wary of head damage over a period of time with unknown ink.Also I recently got a 100ml of Phoenix black pigment ink and whilst the price was good and it printed good quality black text it is not waterproof.
A couple of years. I print 500 x full colour A4 sides every month, 1750 photos (7 photos x 250). I find the head will clog (usually the cyan) and I end up either buying a new printer or head after 4-5 months. Considering that is 7-9000 photos I consider this to be a fair life for the printhead. If anyone can honestly hand on heart tell me that HobbyColours ink is so superior that it would give me significantly longer printhead life then I am all ears, but as it stands I feel the asc ink gives a fair life for the printhead?

I have only just obtained some Phoenixdirectuk pigment ink and haven't used it yet, and am shocked it isn't waterproof. I don't use a lot of this ink but will be pondering about trying another make as this clearly doesn't seem to be to spec. Thanks to petrocelli for this info.