Canon iP4500.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi all i found one of these printers in a store brand new, now i was thinking of buying the ip4600 since it is newer, what i really want is not a A3 big printer (no where to put it) but an A4 printer that has the best image prints i am kind of fond of canon since i do have the 450D camera and also i had the ip4200 that i liked but sold to a friend, so if anybody can help me out i would appreciate it thanks;)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In my opinion the ip4500 is the better deal. The ink cartridges for the ip4500 hold more ink than those of the newer ip4600. Also there is a chip resetter for the ip4500 ink cartridges which will allow you to refill and reset, thereby not losing the ink monitoring function. I have two ip4500s that I bought new in the box off our local Craigslist. The quality and speed of printing is better than any of the other Canon Pimxa printers I have.

Steve W.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
on30trainman said:
In my opinion the ip4500 is the better deal. The ink cartridges for the ip4500 hold more ink than those of the newer ip4600. Also there is a chip resetter for the ip4500 ink cartridges which will allow you to refill and reset, thereby not losing the ink monitoring function. I have two ip4500s that I bought new in the box off our local Craigslist. The quality and speed of printing is better than any of the other Canon Pimxa printers I have.

Steve W.
Hey thanks;) i will pick it up tomorrow but just a couple questions 1, i don't understand when you say the quality is better than your other pixmas how can that be when they have the same resolution and statistics, like say my ip4200 if you look at the stats they are alike, 2, i live in Greece where can i find like refillable ink and stuff in the UK? i found this person just wondering if it's legit ink but he does have a pretty good feedback http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Refillable-in...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
SpartanWarrior said:
on30trainman said:

Steve W.
Hey thanks;) i will pick it up tomorrow but just a couple questions 1, i don't understand when you say the quality is better than your other pixmas how can that be when they have the same resolution and statistics, like say my ip4200 if you look at the stats they are alike, 2, i live in Greece where can i find like refillable ink and stuff in the UK? i found this person just wondering if it's legit ink but he does have a pretty good feedback http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Refillable-in...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
They are not the same, nor do they have the same stats... If that wasn't enough I've had every model from the iP4000 to the iP4500 (not bothered with the rip off 4600 model!).

Each model has been faster with a higher DPI resolution thanks to the printheads which have evolved with them. The iP4600 was a deliberate step made by Canon to get rid of their bypassed chip and get a new chip on the market whilst also reducing the possibility and/or utility of refilling for most users. In short, they shafted the end user and are now engaged in a more aggressive strategy to protect their income.

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation in part on stevesforums though so my comments there hold still.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
SpartanWarrior said:
on30trainman said:

Steve W.
They are not the same, nor do they have the same stats... If that wasn't enough I've had every model from the iP4000 to the iP4500 (not bothered with the rip off 4600 model!).

Each model has been faster with a higher DPI resolution thanks to the printheads which have evolved with them. The iP4600 was a deliberate step made by Canon to get rid of their bypassed chip and get a new chip on the market whilst also reducing the possibility and/or utility of refilling for most users. In short, they shafted the end user and are now engaged in a more aggressive strategy to protect their income.

I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation in part on stevesforums though so my comments there hold still.
Thanks again, i think my ip4200 has 9600x2400 resolution just like the 4500 am i wrong? either way i am picking up the 4500 tomorrow now i just need to find a good source on refillable ink you know any where thanks;)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
SpartanWarrior,
As far as inks go - I know that several members of this forum, who are in Europe, have been able to buy from Hobbicolors here in the US and have gotten very reasonable deliveries. I have been using Hobbicolor inks for a few years now and have been pleased. There should be other sources of inks from Europe also.

Steve W.

SpartanWarrior

Printer Guru
Reaction score
on30trainman said:
SpartanWarrior,
As far as inks go - I know that several members of this forum, who are in Europe, have been able to buy from Hobbicolors here in the US and have gotten very reasonable deliveries. I have been using Hobbicolor inks for a few years now and have been pleased. There should be other sources of inks from Europe also.

Steve W.
Thanks i was on there ebay page and i couldn't find the link to the ip4500 ink, do they also sell empty cartridges to fill, if not how do i put a hole in my cartridges? also you know a good source for good quality paper? thanks again.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
SpartanWarrior said:
Thanks i was on there ebay page and i couldn't find the link to the ip4500 ink, do they also sell empty cartridges to fill, if not how do i put a hole in my cartridges? also you know a good source for good quality paper? thanks again.
Hobbicolors only sells one ink, their UW8 series, which can be used by all Canon printers. I have used it so far in my ip4000, ip6000D, ip4200 and ip4500. Hobbicolors also has a pigment black ink.
I only refill Canon cartridges - find that those are the best available. There are two methods of refill. I use the top fill method. I remove the small plastic ball over the spongeless chamber of the cartridge and fill through that hole, then seal the hole with a screw. Was using a panhead stainless steel screw and a small "O" ring - now I use a flat head nylon screw and don't need the "O" ring. There is also the so-called German method which employs a small hole at the bottom of the sponged chamber - do a search of this forum for details on that method.

Unfortunately as far as paper goes I can only speak for those of us in the US. We have available a very good, inexpensive glossy paper called Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper which is available at the Costco warehouse stores. Other Europeans will need to tell what they use and pricing.

Steve W.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
In the UK, Lidl sells an excellent glossy paper, branded 'Unicorn' and made in Switzerland.

Tesco own brand is also quite good - glossy and matt.

All are 'instant dry' types.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon ip4500 has a much higher nozzle count than ip4200's. That makes a huge difference between the two printers. The most obvious difference is in the speed of printing. You will have a much faster printing speed for photos with ip4500. I used to have an ip4200. It was fairly slow printing photos. The ip4500 will print better quality photos than ip4200 too because of the higher nozzle counts. I did comparison of colors between an ip4300 and an older ip4000. Ip4000's photo quality is no match to the ip4300's. Ip4300 also has a much higher nozzle count than ip4000's. With higher nozzle count the printer yields more saturate colors. Forget about ip4600. It is a printer designed to get money from your pocket. Hobbicolors ink is fabulous. Ink price in the USA is definitely much cheaper than in UK or anywhere in Europe. But you do have to pay a higher shipping charge buying from USA.