Canon CLI-42 "EU only" setup carts

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good to hear. Thank you for the follow up.

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
.....Now a far fetched idea is that Canon is saying "Do not dispose this cartridge. Refill it!" Believe that?

I think they mean do not throw away in the trash but dispose of as chemical waste.

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Canon Europe has a recycling program. They send you a prepaid envelope and you stick the spent cartridges in it and mail them back to Canon. HP has the same thing, I expect Epson too.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon most guys will see this for what it really is, it’s got nothing to do with recycling but more to do with keeping the supply of good quality empty cartridges out of the hand of the refillers, whom are better at recycling than the big 3 companies put together.. :smack

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
HP's "Instant Ink" program takes the refill prevention one step further. They offer locking the cartridges to your printer. Officially it is for theft prevention, but it also makes the empty cartridges useless for refillers.

Canon also tries to make their empty cartridges less suitable for refill, by letting them dry out without the orange clip reattached, see this from the online instruction manual for an iP6600:

CLI  replacement.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Officially it is for theft prevention, but it also makes the empty cartridges useless for refillers.
The option "locks" the cartridge to just that single printer and unusable in any other printer. Does it also make the cartridge not refillable for reuse in the same printer?

The part about discarding the orange cap seems pretty standard language and not necessarily aimed at discouraging refilling, although, the instructions you show DO NOT tell you to also discard the orange tape or film. Maybe you are correct.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When you join the HP Instant Ink program, you allow your printer to send reports to HP about ink usage etc. Based on these data HP will send you new cartridges before needed. As I'm sure the cartridges have serial numbers, and the printer reports when they are empty, I'm sure printing with refilled cartridges is not possible. I also think you will have to return the used cartridges to HP. See this thread for more info about Instant Ink.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon if I was residing in the US, I would discard the printer every time the cartridges reported empty and just buy another new printer, far cheaper than a new set of carts.. :D

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
It's nice having these cheap printers, however, that well will dry up soon. I see more and more people getting these "rebates" for the printers and finding out that the resale of them is really not that good. If you purchased a new Pro-100 in America for full retail, $499, and you used up the initial ink... now you don't want to buy ink for it (its too expensive, right), so you decide to sell it, you're lucky to get $50 for it. I see prices like this all day long, printers with 50 images printed.

Don't get me wrong, these Pro-100's are nice printers... I'm hording a few of them. The ink is where the money is at for the manufacturers! That's where this forum steps up to the plate!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The option "locks" the cartridge to just that single printer and unusable in any other printer. Does it also make the cartridge not refillable for reuse in the same printer?

The part about discarding the orange cap seems pretty standard language and not necessarily aimed at discouraging refilling, although, the instructions you show DO NOT tell you to also discard the orange tape or film. Maybe you are correct.

Before I became a refiller, I did throw everything in the waste bin.
Disciplined people collect the cartridges to carry them to the toxic waste recycling.
To avoid stains on their clothes some even retape the orange cap.
I was lucky enough to locate some of these persons just before they were carrying their pile to the container park, giving me a good stock of OEM carts.