Canon CLI-42 "EU only" setup carts

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Somehow i ended up buying another Pro 100 tonight (gotta love Canon rebate sellers) and it came with the carts shown in the pic.
What does it mean?
Europe Only?

Seems odd for these to be in USA circulation with camera deals.

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    378.2 KB · Views: 422
  • PICT0001 - Copy.JPG
    PICT0001 - Copy.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 426

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
By the looks of it I would say that the production of these machines were slated for the EU during production planning forecasts last year. The EU was not able to move the quantity it had estimated as time passed and the surplus to what they actually need is being liquidated in the USA to remove the excess. This might be a rebalancing inventory action.
I'm also wondering if the EU only symbol refers to the " Do Not Dispose" symbol and really directs the user to recycle the cartridges. The EU is a lot more eco conscious in its labeling standards.

Now a far fetched idea is that Canon is saying "Do not dispose this cartridge. Refill it!" Believe that?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Seems odd for these to be in USA circulation with camera deals.
Where was the printer purchased from? Makes me wonder if you purchased a "gray market" printer.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Where was the printer purchased from? Makes me wonder if you purchased a "gray market" printer.

Bought it here in CA from a seller that received it from B&H in his 70D bundle. Barcodes missing of course.
The pro 100 and paper was listed as 75.00 on our local craigslist.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
By the looks of it I would say that the production of these machines were slated for the EU during production planning forecasts last year.

Now a far fetched idea is that Canon is saying "Do not dispose this cartridge. Refill it!" Believe that?

LOL Mike...............i'm sure by now they have realised they goofed by not inserting a recycling fee in hopes of people sending in their used carts to keep them out of our hands.

I believe you are right about the inventory balance.
I looked on ebay and found quite a few completed sales on these same carts here in the US.
I wouldn't think Canon would make a separate chip for another region.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Yes, Canon does make region specific printer firmware/cartridge chip combinations. I just looked at Canon UK and their version of your printer is called the "Pro-100S" but does appear to use cartridges marked CLI-42. With region specific printers, Canon gives the cartridges a different numerical name. So, you might be OK.

A call to Canon sales or support should clear up this question. One thing you do not want is to buy new cartridges and not have them recognized by the printer. Another thing you do not want is to get stuck with a gray market printer that Canon will not service.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
LOL Mike...............i'm sure by now they have realised they goofed by not inserting a recycling fee in hopes of people sending in their used carts to keep them out of our hands.

I believe you are right about the inventory balance.
I looked on ebay and found quite a few completed sales on these same carts here in the US.

Canon does indeed make regionalised chips for printers but so far these are reserved for higher volume less costly smaller desktop machines. At the 13" Pro models the volume for these do not appear to warrant the overhead of separate programming at the manufacturing level for different boards/ chips etc. Same for the "setup" carts for the Pro-100 just a label instead of the regular label. When you add up the cost to block grey markets, there is a cost benefit ratio. You see similar issues for Epson as well.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
20160710_082045_resized.jpg
20160710_082417_resized.jpg
pictures speak out loud right........
I didn't know there was a 100S

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon says no worries............like Mike said, recycling is stricter in Europe.
I also received a few CLI-42 carts from ebay with same logo.
Put one in the printer and it blinked as an empty does and showed the big red X. Did the reset and it then showed full.
I did not dare run a print with it, but i thought once the reservoir was empty that it caused a blinky light anyways regardless.
At least i got my answer and can now go back to sleeping properly:ya

Latest posts