Canon CLI-42 "EU only" setup carts

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
I reckon if I was residing in the US, I would discard the printer every time the cartridges reported empty and just buy another new printer, far cheaper than a new set of carts.. :D

Well that's pretty much what us Yanks :hide do except we salvage and resell the printhead.........pretty much a no money out of pocket exchange:plbb

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
When you join the HP Instant Ink program
Exactly. Do not join. Can you then refill?

I set up one of these cartridge locking HP's for a friend. Decent All-In-One for the text I saw printed. He did not join the club. He will not be refilling.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you have not joined the Instant Ink program, then you will have to use normal store bought cartridges which are not locked. If you are given the option to lock them when installing them in the printer, then don't accept the offer. Empty cartridges from various sources might or might not be locked. Here and here is more about cartridge locking.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@PeterBJ

Good info.

Agreeing to lock the cartridges, or, agreeing to the HP recycling program by mail, will lock you printer out from using even aftermarket ink cartridges. This was NOT explained in the information given/found about this program/function.

Good thing I did not click accept for my friend's printer. He is counting on buying 3rd party cartridges to save a little money.