HP Instant Ink

Lucy7086

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Officejet 4630
I am thinking of using HP Instant Ink.
It will be great if anybody can share their experiences or market perception on this product.
Thanks!

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
I just bought a 5530e and signed up for instant ink. I signed up for 100 copies/month @$5 per month. My first ink was shipped yesterday and I don't start being billed until I install the first set of cartridges. The printer is connected to the internet so they can monitor my usage. When the printer indicates that ink is running low they will send more ink. They also require you to return the empties. They provide postage paid mailers. Instant ink has only been activated on printers that will connect to the internet. Hope this helps.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks like a loyalty program to me. By joining you get a rebate on OEM ink, but you are excluded from using refilled/remanufactured/compatible cartridges. You also have to return the used cartridges, using postage prepaid envelopes, so the cartridges don't get into the hands of refillers. If you only want to use OEM cartridges, this might be a good deal. How much is the subscription price lower than the retail price of cartridges?

Canon has a similar program, the "Easy Ink Delivery" system, see this thread by jimbo123.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
If it looks too good to be true, it is!
Instant ink had me thinking on jars if ink powder, just like coffee, only more useful. Then someone goes and spoils the entire picture with a lock in turn upside down and empty your pockets story.Not only am I locking in ink, I am guaranteeing data use to manage the entire process AND giving HP ALL PRINTING HISTORY AND access to my computer/printer.

Harmless I hear you say...........

Being a card carrying conspiricy theorist I see each and every convenience, eroding my independence, and my information. As soon as you know my moves, my need, wants and current consumption you neutralise immediately my negotiating powerand as more and more folks get lazier so bigger and biggerchunks of "consumers" are CONTROLLED..........DEVIDE and conquor tactics.
Already advertising shapes consumption, with each new step weget closer to bein told who willbuy whatby the sellers, and there will bemaybe one or two of them......

If its not freeze dry ink, I'm not IN !!!!!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
What you mean like Facebook and twitter, and you end up been the willing product..:hide

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
HP sent me my first "instant ink" when I registered my printer. It arrived a couple of days ago. I still have about 50% left in the original carts so it will be another couple of weeks before I have to install the new carts. Billing will start when my printer indicates to HP that the cartridges have been replaced.