Canon Chip Resetter Reports

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
aki21 said:
darn! and i thought before that all canons Doesnt use chips... thats why i bought it... after unpacking.. i saw this freaking thing on the carts..

so far.. i dont like epson printers although they are cheap and easy to CIS, but what i hate about it is the printer head.. i got one and i thrown it away cause the head keeps clogging even i use those expensive carts... and it waste alot of inks.
Ah...Ok... very important point here... Epson printer chips work in a VERY different way to Canons. Epson printers do not allow you to ignore the chips. Canon printers allow you to ignore them and take responsibility for them... So if you've been skim reading and making assumptions based on your Epson experiences I'd recommend re-reading again to get a clearer view. It's easily done and I must admit the Canon approach threw me for a while too.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is a very important point that websnail emphasizes.

The use of the resetter is not absolutely necessary. It is a nice option to have.

Frankly I am surprised by this and I am sure there must have been lots of debate on this during the design within the executive ranks. Running out of ink on an Epson is not a dangerous situation to the printer yet they stop the printer from printing. On the other hand with the Canon running out of ink and continuing to print can cause terminal damage to the head but they give you the option to continue to print and thereby destroy the printer. Makes sense?

No wonder there is confusion about the chips.

aki21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
aki21 said:
darn! and i thought before that all canons Doesnt use chips... thats why i bought it... after unpacking.. i saw this freaking thing on the carts..

so far.. i dont like epson printers although they are cheap and easy to CIS, but what i hate about it is the printer head.. i got one and i thrown it away cause the head keeps clogging even i use those expensive carts... and it waste alot of inks.
Ah...Ok... very important point here... Epson printer chips work in a VERY different way to Canons. Epson printers do not allow you to ignore the chips. Canon printers allow you to ignore them and take responsibility for them... So if you've been skim reading and making assumptions based on your Epson experiences I'd recommend re-reading again to get a clearer view. It's easily done and I must admit the Canon approach threw me for a while too.
ahh so unlike epson that will stop you form printing after the counter runs out... while canon, even it has chips, it will let you print even after the counter is dried out...

ill try to back read again.. and hope it might solve some of my curiosity, from the looks of it.. its really hard to read from the start..

one more thing... alot of you uses canon printers right? how often does their head clogged up while using a third party inks? have you able to buy a new set of printer heads?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
mikling said:
Running out of ink on an Epson is not a dangerous situation to the printer yet they stop the printer from printing. On the other hand with the Canon running out of ink and continuing to print can cause terminal damage to the head but they give you the option to continue to print and thereby destroy the printer. Makes sense?
Sure. IF you destroy the printer you will go and buy another one :rolleyes:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Smile said:
mikling said:
Running out of ink on an Epson is not a dangerous situation to the printer yet they stop the printer from printing. On the other hand with the Canon running out of ink and continuing to print can cause terminal damage to the head but they give you the option to continue to print and thereby destroy the printer. Makes sense?
Sure. IF you destroy the printer you will go and buy another one :rolleyes:
@Smile:
Ok... hold off on the sarcasm a second there, don't make me hurt you (or die in the attempt :p)

aki21 is obviously not using English as a first language and we're trying to work our way around the language barrier to get the message across.

@aki21:
As I mentioned earlier Canon chipped cartridge printers will allow you to continue to print with a cartridge that the printer thinks is empty. This can be a refilled cartridge, one that has a CIS installed or similar. If you do this though you obviously need to make sure that the cartridge is always full of some ink before you print or you will damage the printhead.

aki21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@websnail,
thanks for the info, and yeah.. im planning to put CIS on this printer.. my only concern is that.. when chip counter runs out.. so does my CIS.. and carts are pretty expensive... so now, im waiting for my printer to think it has no ink left and/or its chip runs out, so i that i would know if it still can print or not.

BTW, a CIS kit w/o ink cost relatively same as per cartridge here.. and i can get 5 100ml Inks for every carts i buy...... its alot of savings~ just have to look for compatible inks for this baby...

oh btw.. its kinda OT, but.. CLI inks are pigment type or dye? i have PBLk, is this pigment type? thanks again!

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
The CLI8 cartridges are dye based and the PGI5BK uses pigment ink. I have an MP600 and have refilled my cartridges at least 10 times. I've not had any problems with my print head. It prints perfect test patterns.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Purchased black resetter from alotofthings. Received DOA with depleted battery. No response from alotofthings to my phone call and email #%@*!. I bought new battery and it seems to reset cartridges okay but will know after replacing. Just very disappointed with lack of response from alotofthings. I will not be ordering from them again - crapola customer service.

aki21

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well for me, its a good thing as long as its working even you have to replace a dead battery.. but receiving a dead unit w/o any response to their CS, well its one hell of a story... well so far.. non of canons reseter here are sold in our market.. so ill ganna wait for some suppliers to distribute it..

4JOKE

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can somebody give me advice where is possible to buy the cheapest resetter for ip4200 if I am from Europe (Slovakia) ???