Canon 9500 MK II

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I’m still on the old I.S. inks and gloss differential is visible, but I have a dedicated 9500 for Glop so I use that, another good thing about using Glop, it has never clogs no matter how long it’s left inactive...

@rodbam, I hope you keep a new spare 9500 head in reserve before they become unavailable... ;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I’m still on the old I.S. inks and gloss differential is visible, but I have a dedicated 9500 for Glop so I use that, another good thing about using Glop, it has never clogs no matter how long it’s left inactive...

@rodbam, I hope you keep a new spare 9500 head in reserve before they become unavailable... ;)

Do you have indications about this ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Do you have indications about this ?
All printheads from older printers eventually become unavailable. At some point Canon will stop making them if not already and then whatever is left in inventory is it. Then Nada. It's a matter of time......tick tock tick tock.............it will happen at some point.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have had a spare new printhead for my 9000 II in the cupboard for about a year now. The existing one, in use, is not that old either.

:old "Yeah - the day will come":old

I suppose you could always sell it when they are no longer available. :rolleyes:

If you are in the USA it would no doubt be better to buy a few Pro100s.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have had a spare new printhead for my 9000 II in the cupboard for about a year now
I’ve got two spare 9500 heads in reserve, I don’t want to let such a great printer just die for the lack of a head, there’re a real gem... ;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I’ve got two spare 9500 heads in reserve, I don’t want to let such a great printer just die for the lack of a head, there’re a real gem... ;)

Yeah, but slow ...
I am busy with my annual calendars for the children, takes time to print 8x12 A4's (happy enough I dropped my idea to go A3).

Printheads are about €120 incl shipping, that's rather cheap (for example compared to the Pro-10).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yeah, but slow ...
@palombian, Good things are well work waiting on, when I was producing 16-page SRA3 brochures, I would put 20 sheets in the back tray and let the printer run all night, at a print rate of 45 minutes per page, and it never complained... ;)
Just wait until you get your first 3D printer, now were talking real time... :bow
@stratman is still sitting on the fence, and hasn’t made up his mind just yet... :eek:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@stratman is still sitting on the fence
Are you calling me a Post Turtle?

deborah-tindle-111.jpg

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I still have enough fun with INKJET printers ;).

After watching @jtoolman's chats about owning a photo printer, I was assured again a PRO-1000 is nothing for me.

Few people know the PRO-9500 (and the PRO-10) can print to nearly A2 (35.6x58,4cm, that's 83% of the 42x59,4cm A2 format).
Single feed on the back only.
I have a roll of Ilford Smooth Pearl (from the old Swiss factory, amazing how it is still useable after at least 10yrs).

I do not need the network and Wifi of the PRO-10, and since the Precision Colors 2015 inkset the gloss differences are not really an issue anymore.
Although the magenta still looks slightly matte on glossy paper. Also parts without ink shine more, but this is visible with newer printers too.
Just in case I can do a total overprint with GO with my dedicated PRO-9500 (this protects against fingerprints and gives a special look as the sun shining through the morning mist).
On luster or pearl paper the differences are minimal (Aldi and Lidl should sell this paper ;)).

I am satisfied with the ink and stopped searching for other suppliers, I have no idea if the PRO-9500 inkset is specially selected by PC or is directly from the manufacturer and is available elsewhere.

Since the standby consumption is only 1.2W, I reconsidered Joe's arguments to keep the printer always on.
This will shorten the startup time (and probably the waste of ink, although it doesn't seem outrageous to me) and I could use the printer more often.
Will try to implement an automated nozzle check.

GY,C and M inventory was below 50ml so I ordered some extra (now when the USD is low).
450ml for less than € 60 incl shipping that's maximum € 0.15-0.20 per A4 or € 0,3-0.4 per A3.
The price is nearly the same, it doesn't reward to buy too large bottles.

Since I print almost always in colour on glossy or luster (where MBK is not used for printing, only purged) I did a test filling the MBK with the waste ink from my (now retired) MX7600 potty.

I have a separate ink set and profiles for matte paper with (good) matte black in the PBK cart, and leftovers from the PC old inkset and tests with Prodinks and Octopus.de.
Good for posters on the affordable Olmec matte paper (https://www.inktwereld.nl/foto-fine-art-papier/olmec-papier/).

Printhead stock at reliable providers ( http://teteimpression.fr/pixma-pro9500-mii/18-qy6-0077-tete-d-impression-canon-5704327987017.html, along tasktron UK) still seems sufficient, no panic.

PS: The PRO-9500 II is the last Canon (pigment photo) printer where the waste ink counter can be reset, and the ink diverted to an external "potty" as described by @The Hat (now concentrating on 3D printers).
Except for the printheads these printers probably will survive me.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi @palombian, I am sorry you haven’t taken to the 3D printers just YET, but you don’t know what you’re missing, ask how good they are from @Redbrickman, its a toss up as to who will get one first you or @stratman.:D

That was a great write-up for the 9500, and it deserves every word, because it’s such a versatile machine and most still don’t know how great a printer it is, but now I reckon you’ve let the cat out of the bag. :duc
Except for the print heads these printers probably will survive me.
Mine will probably see me down too...

P.S. the 3D printer is great at making any parts that can break, I could have done with one when the print head locking clip broke on mine, fortunately I was able to salvage the parts and glue them back together again using a metal bar as an axel...;)