Cannon Ink Tank Error Message for the IP4300. Anything agreed on yet?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Pebe,

Your problem is caused by chip which is at his end of life. I can confirm this, because I had intermittent problems concerning this cartridge being recognized by the printer ("The printer has detected 2 PGI-5Bk, blablaba....."). Taking out, cleaning the chip, and putting it back will cure the problem for a while, but the problems persists and became more prominent at the end. At the end I placed a new reset PGI-5Bk cart into the printer and until now no problems...........

Even with resetters the chip is still very annoying. I think Canon has made the chip to increase the sale of their cartridges, even after the introduction of affordable chip resetters, because they KNOW that the chip won't last for long and the chipped alternatives (Pelikan, Peach etc) are 4-8 times more expensive than the previous series of compatible BCI-6/BCI3 cartridges.
Now that is a truly clever marketing strategy !

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I take your point, but the cart I had problems with was after I had filled and reset it for the first time.
Writable RAM can usually be written to many tens of thousands of times, so I don't see why the chip can be at the end of its life.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I presume static electricity after taking it out and putting into the resetter and could trigger the fatal struck to your chip. This can happen at the most unwanted moments.
Probably no luck at that moment.......

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I'll let you know how I get on during the week... Been on my stag weekend so I'm a bit past managing coherent thought at the moment ;)

It sounds like you could be right on various counts though.. I'll check for ink and chip issues when I get a chance... Cheers all :)

Edimahler

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi there,

Well, firstly I want to thank you all for this great work until now!

I've the same problems as others had also: Have the IP4300 with CISS. Disabled all the inkcounter of Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and PG Black. After disabling the counter of the 5th one, the Black, I often had the problem with the error "print cart error" (or equal). Taking out and retaking in the Black-cart solved the problem ALWAYS. And now, It stopped working with this little trick. Always the cart error.

Should I try to buy a new black one now (because its always used not really much) or the PG black (because I've my error there)?

I think its not a contacting issue, every cleaning,... didn't help.

Thanks for a hint, which solution will be the better one!
Greetz Edi

P.S.: The thing with the shortened powerplug is nonsens, because between the plug and the main capacitor there's always a rectifier (and yome other, not important things for this theme like a doublecoil, some varistors,...). So the current is not able to flow backwards trough your screwdriver (or whatever). (It's also the reason, why we can't measure any voltage on the plug after pulling it out!) ;) And wo you AREN'T able to damage anything!

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Pebe,

Your problem is caused by chip which is at his end of life. I can confirm this, because I had intermittent problems concerning this cartridge being recognized by the printer ("The printer has detected 2 PGI-5Bk, blablaba....."). Taking out, cleaning the chip, and putting it back will cure the problem for a while, but the problems persists and became more prominent at the end. At the end I placed a new reset PGI-5Bk cart into the printer and until now no problems...........

!
We had the same issue with my son's ip4200 but it happened with the original cartridges. They hadn't been refilled ever. It kept complaining about the Magenta cartridge, it would detect 2 of them, or wouldn't find it, etc.. I finally pulled it and put in a refilled cartridge and did the ink level monitor release thing and it's worked flawlessly since. Later I got a chip resetter and reset the refilled cartridge. I tried resetting the original that was giving problems and it would reset but in use it would always start giving problems, so there IS such a thing as a bad chip - I'm sure of it!