Cannon Ink Tank Error Message for the IP4300. Anything agreed on yet?

Sparticus

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
HI,
I'm geting the same message on my IP3300 i'm on my second set of replacement cartridges using the original chips (cut out of original cartridges) and the now the printer will not print at all, it just gives the " ink tank errors have occured" message.
I've tried to enter setup mode as detailed above but it wont even print the EEPROM information, i've tried pressing the resume buton twice followed by the power buton to reset the EEPROM but it just switches the printer off.
Has anyone had any luck with solving his yet without resorting to buying new canon cartidges?

Cheers

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think that Kittymarmalade reported that buying one new canon cart freed up the error locking...
Correct me if I'm wrong, Kittymarmalade.
Or you can try to email her from one of her posts.

peerukott

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Got same problem with my ip5300, 15 orange blinks, red lights flashing when carts re-inserterd, otherways off.

problem started when all 5 carts were empty and running without counter.

bought new 5pgbk, everything working now, with a ink volume of one 5pgbk, i can refill cli8 series about 20 times, so, its cool again now for about 1000 prints...

ltsang

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I forgot how many times I have refilled my ip4300 until all cartridges have no red light showing, I bought a new cli-8 magenta,
put in the machine and it gets me going for a while, but after about 50 pages of printing,
the printers stops and never goes ready again. I notice the orange led brinked 15 times and stop. Wonder what it means. I went and
bought a new genuine cli-8 black, put it in, hope it works but the printer still refused to print anything. Why I bought the
cli-8 black is because it is the color that gets least used and would last longer. After read Peerukott's last message
I think I will go and get a genuine Canon 5bgbk and try it in the printer tomorrow. Will report back what happens.
I am consider buying the red box resetter also, any body any success with this gadget on the 4300? Love to share.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
According to Canon ip4300 user guide troubleshooting section, orange LED flashes 15 times means the printer can not recognize an ink cartridge. You can want to go into the maintenance window and read the printer status there. It will tell you which ink cartridge is not recognized. Or you can remove one cartridge at a time and plug it back in carefully to make sure the cartridge is seated firmly in their slot. You can even try to clean the electrical contacts on the chip PCB on the cartridge using a cotton swab with some Isopropyl Alcohol. It is probably a simple contact problem when you plugged in the cartridge. What is happening is your printer is not able to read from the memory chip. There are some information stored in the chip for identification purposes. If you buy a resetter and use it to reset the chip it may really yield the cartridge unusable when you try to use it in a newer printer. Canon can easily put new firmware in its new printers to recognoze that the contains non authentic code in it. I have been refilling an ip4300 and have more than 2 sets of cartridges. I use only one set most of the time. All others are spares and get used sometimes. I never had any problems. Ink level status for all cartridges have long been disabled. Never had unrecognized cartridges issues.

Your ip4300 should work with no differences. You need to identify which cartridge is not recognized. If it is not a contact issue maybe the chip is defective. In that case you will have to replace it. If you just bought it you can take it back to the store asking for an exchange. I exchanged a whole printer by telling the store that I suspected a quality problem of the print head. They did not say much but quickly took the printer in and gave me another one. I did not use it for another week or so and returned it unopened back to the store and got a full refund.

If your printer is still under warranty you can call Canon tech support. I have heard that they will mail you a new cartridge. Believe it or not, a friend brought a printer in to a Canon authorized service center for warranty repair. The printer was fixed no doubt. The service rep also discovered that the cartridges were refilled. They tossed the cartridges and put in a new set before the printer was released back to the customer. This was a very impressive customer service although this might be an individual case. Not everyone will be this lucky.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Finally got to experience this one myself on an iP4500.

First time it happened I assumed it was the high power light nearby hitting one of the sensors and a quick turn on/off resolved it... Not anymore. Now it doesn't like any of the cartridges.

I'll be playing with this some more on my return so I can report back on what does/doesn't work in this instance..

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
This may have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, but I'll pass it on for what it's worth.

I purchased a Redsetter and refill kit for my MP600. All carts were refilled and reset OK.

A short while later the printer would not recognise the PGI-5 BLK. Cleaning the chip did the trick for a while, but it seemed intermittent - I would replace the cart and it would light up, but the printer would not always recognise it.

I found that a trace of ink had somehow got onto one of the two prisms on the side of the cart. Once it was cleaned off, the problem has not reappeared. I wonder if they may be used to detect the cart in some way.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
pebe said:
This may have nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing, but I'll pass it on for what it's worth.

I purchased a Redsetter and refill kit for my MP600. All carts were refilled and reset OK.

A short while later the printer would not recognise the PGI-5 BLK. Cleaning the chip did the trick for a while, but it seemed intermittent - I would replace the cart and it would light up, but the printer would not always recognise it.

I found that a trace of ink had somehow got onto one of the two prisms on the side of the cart. Once it was cleaned off, the problem has not reappeared. I wonder if they may be used to detect the cart in some way.
pebe,
I am most interested in your possible explanation for the malfunction. I too have an MP600 , and a Redsetter.

I have had a good look at a PGI 5 and I cannot identify the particular area of the cart that was contaminated with ink that you are describing.
Can you be more specific about the location ? Side of the cart Left / right / outlet end / chip end ? .2 prisms ? the bottom?
If a picture is possible with an arrow , it would be good.

Websnail.............Any comments on these posts?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
OK. Here's the picture

663_100_0567.jpg

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture Pebe !.......excellent........................ I now know the exact area you are referring to.
Although I have not yet had this problem , I will wait and see if it occurs , if it does I will post if your solution was relevant and was tried ..... and if it worked or not
regards
headphonesman