Bulk ink for Canon CLI-551 and CLI-581

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Test was done with a yellow cartridge on a TS705.
When empty the printer is indicating that the refilled cartridge is a reused OEM, and level still show empty (should have said: full for ever after).
I may not be looking at the same chips/cartridges you bought, but, according to the link below, your printer will NOT show the cartridges as full following the first auto reset.

Did your cartridge function after the first refill? This is what the seller promises - a working cartridge but no ink level monitoring.

I do not know about your specific printer, but Canon traditionally allows you to manually override ink level monitoring in the printer's software when the window pops up telling you the cartridge is "Empty" and to replace the cartridge. this means you may be able to use your OEM Canon cartridges for refilling, but at a potential price of more frequent maintenance ink purges.

Another downside on not having ink level monitoring is that you may run out of ink without knowing and print head nozzles may burn up permanently causing loss of ink on the printed paper.

Note the highlighted and underlined portions I added to the quote from the translated link below.

https://led-lampe24.de/5-wiederbefu...ie-canon-pgi-580-cli-581-mit-auto-reset-chips

These ink cartridges are equipped with (auto) reset chips. They only show the filling level of the cartridges the first time they are used. The printer then recognizes them as full, but no longer shows the fill level.
It couldn't be easier: fill the cartridge (s) with ink, close the filling opening, print until the cartridge (s) is empty again, then simply remove it, refill it and continue printing. The (auto) reset chip on the cartridge ensures that the cartridge is recognized by the printer after it has been filled. No chip resetter is required. This process can be repeated as often as you like!

Note on use and the reset process:

Easiest filling in contrast to the original cartridges! These printer cartridges are filled through the filling hole. Simply remove the colored stopper and fill in ink. Then close the filling hole again with the stopper that was removed previously.
In principle, the entire set of cartridges should be replaced.
Before printing, the colored strip with the inscription "Pull" OR the transparent stopper of the cartridge must be removed. This is necessary for the pressure compensation in the cartridge so that there is no negative pressure during printing that would hinder the flow of ink.
If the printer asks you to replace a cartridge, you should remove this cartridge and refill ink. When it is reinserted, the printer automatically detects the cartridge, but no longer shows the fill level. Nevertheless, after a specified number of times, the printer reminds you of printouts for replacement (filling). Nevertheless, we recommend checking occasionally whether there is still enough ink in the cartridges and, if necessary, refilling it early.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
I do not want to argue, but want to be precise.
Stratman, pls read to last part of your post, below the highligted (Nevertheless...).
My doing:
First I filled the cartridge (took some time from new empty).
Insert in printer. Ink level indicated.
Run empty. Red cross, low level shown.
Refilled.
Inserted in printer. Printer show no level 'X' (as expected).
Printer is indicating, reused OEM cartridge, not just 'detects cartridge'.
Cartridge removed.

The suppliers procedure do not tell anything about disabling anything on the printer. He just advice to manually check ink level.

IMO the cartridge should just go on working with no warnings or changes on the printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Stratman, pls read to last part of your post, below the highligted (Nevertheless...).
You will need to ask the seller what he explicitly means. Google Translate is not perfect.

Printer is indicating, reused OEM cartridge, not just 'detects cartridge'.
Interesting that your printer informs you of a "reused OEM cartridge". Can you take a picture of that screen and post, please.

Does the printer still allow printing, or did you stop at that message without trying to print? According to the seller's advertisement, the printer should allow you to keep printing after the "reset" despite no further ink level monitoring. If not then talk with seller about a return/refund.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
From the English version of the German website:
These ink cartridges are equipped with (auto) reset chips. They only show the filling level of the cartridges the first time they are used. The printer then recognizes them as full, but no longer shows the fill level.

This is a good translation (Google?) of the German version:
Diese Tintenpatronen sind mit (Auto) Reset Chips bestückt. Sie zeigen nur bei der ersten Verwendung den Füllstand der Patronen an. Danach werden sie vom Drucker als voll erkannt, zeigen den Füllstand aber nicht mehr an.

This is not a reset procedure but the disabling of the ink level monitoring procedure to allow printing with refilled cartridges. It is not true the cartridges are seen as full cartridges after they have been empty end refilled, instead the ink levels are ignored and not shown. Disabling the ink level monitoring is stored in the EEPROM and the warranty is void. This procedure has been possible since the PGI-5/CLI-8 chipped cartridges were introduced.

I think that when using these cartridges the ink level monitoring can be disabled by holding the Stop/resume button for more than five seconds. This cannot be bone before the cartridge is declared empty.

This ink status is from an MG6853 with OEM PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridges. 3 cartridges have had ink level detection disabled. IIRC there were a lot of warnings on the display, when the cartridges became empty. If I remove and reinsert one of the cartridges that still show the ink level the display shows: "The following used genuine cartridge(s) were detected CLI-571 <C>" or something similar

MG6853 Ink Status.jpg

IMO @stratman and @mikling are right. I also think the claimed to be ARC chips are single use chips, that behave like OEM chips. As I think no resetter exists (yet?) it cannot be tested if they will reset like OEM cartridges. I also think an instruction for disabling of the ink level monitoring should have been included.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The seller has aftermarket refillable cartridges with a single use ink level monitoring chip. Once marked as "Empty", these chips are allegedly still usable, though the OP in this thread does not detail what happens after the printer pops up a window informing of a "reused OEM cartridge". Would be nice to know if the chips are still usable to keep printing and what, if anything, the OP had to do to keep printing, such as manually override "Empty" to keep using the cartridge?

Did the OP need to go through the Canon warning screens about allowing continued use of the cartridge or did the aftermarket chip automatically bypass the user manually overriding the "Empty" status?

More so, where did the seller obtain these working chips? Obviously someone is either has a stash of never used OEM chips, is able to reset OEM chips, or has a source for third party chips. We've seen single use third party chip before but none that I recall that would automatically override "Empty" status while not resetting ink level monitoring.

Maybe there is hope for a resetter.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just to clarify
Normal2.JPG

Above is the normal picture of any cartridge which has not been empty (genuine, used or just filled).

When exchanging a not full (used or refilled) cartridge then printer shows a rolling text:
'<Y> De viste blev registreret som brugte ægte canon-blækbeholdere'
'Tryk[ok]'.
If cartridge is refilled (not genuine Canon), the picture below will show.
The printer will continue printing.
The ink level will in the Windows 10 printing SW show as unknown and the printing routine will report low ink (not the Canon-app).

Refcart.JPG

Sorry I've not been able to catch a desent video of the rolling text.
I have not yet tested what will happen if I refill a genuine (empty) cartridge and reuse it and not yet emptied a refilled cartridge to see if any special warning based on numbers of prints will show up.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
De viste blev registreret som brugte ægte canon-blækbeholdere
Google Translate: "The ones shown were registered as used genuine canon ink containers"

In the second picture, the "X" above the "Y" means the Yellow cartridge has been marked as "Empty". If you are still able to print then it means that ink level monitoring has been overridden.

I wanted to know if you manually overrode the "X", meaning continue using a cartridge marked as empty, OR did the "reset chip" on the cartridge you bought automatically did the override without you pressing/clicking on any buttons?

The ink level will in the Windows 10 printing SW show as unknown and the printing routine will report low ink (not the Canon-app).
Could you please clarify? What application is "Windows 10 printing SW"? (SW=Software??)

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
The translation is correct.
I did not do anything, but continued printing. No button presset.

There seems to be two ways of printing either by app or by windows systemdialog print routine (Ctrl+shift+P).
If I print from Edge (browser) I'll be using the app unless I select systemdialog print (Ctrl+shift+P) or actually a line in the bottom of the app window.

If I use CTRL+shift+P I can select 'printer status' and see the ink level (or X) even while printing.
(SW=Software)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My ink status explanation in post #44 is wrong. The red X s over BK, Y and PGBK mean that the cartridges are considered empty or close to empty. You can still print and Ink monitoring is not disabled (yet).

Here is an ink status showing PGBK is or might soon be empty. The four dye cartridges have had ink monitoring disabled. Notice no X over them

MG5450 Ink Status.jpg

The text in the box close to the printer translates to: "Printing. An ink cartridge might be empty. Show ink information"

I normally use resetters, so I didn't remember the procedure and messages for ink status disabling correctly.

I don't know the printer used by Hugorm but I think the display is monochrome, so the X will be red in the status window on the computer screen, if this printer driver will show that. This means that ink status has not yet been disabled. This is done by pressing the the stop/resume button for at least five seconds when the printer refuses to print because of an empty cartridge.

To make things better for forum use I can change the display language to English, but the drivers from European Canon sites are multilingual and the language is determined by my Windows language. I have installed a few drivers from Canon US. They are in the English language.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My ink status explanation in post #44 is wrong. The red X s over BK, Y and PGBK mean that the cartridges are considered empty or close to empty. You can still print and Ink monitoring is not disabled (yet).
According to my MP830 User Manual, the Red X above the cartridge color abbreviation means the cartridge is Empty. The manual specifically calls it Empty and informs you will need to replace with a new cartridge or printing remains stopped, or, press OK to continue to use the "Empty" cartridge.

Notice that the Manual also describes that the printer will warn of Low ink with an exclamation mark inside a (Yellow?) circle. At this point, you can continue printing by manually pressing the Yes button on the screen.

In both the Low and Empty states, the Manual shows the same ink level - a single horizontal bar at the bottom.
Check the User Manual of your specific model printer to see if the same applies.

Empty Cartridge.jpg