Bulk ink for Canon CLI-551 and CLI-581

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
They write it in their description:
"Diese Tintenpatronen sind mit (Auto) Reset Chips bestückt. Sie zeigen nur bei der ersten Verwendung den Füllstand der Patronen an. Danach werden sie vom Drucker als voll erkannt, zeigen den Füllstand aber nicht mehr an."
This means you can refill them, but without showing how much ink is in the cartridge after the first refill. They only show the ink level one time.
For me, that is not a true Auto Reset Chip. It only does the same, as if you dismiss the empty cartridge warning on the printer.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
Sorry
Even if you read carefully you are fooled.

These chips are not auto resetable!

Is there anywhere I can see a schematic of the chip-board?
If one could rewrite (copy the first dataset) the chip in a resetter, than maybe their is a chance of seeing the ink level again?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
This means you can refill them, but without showing how much ink is in the cartridge after the first refill. They only show the ink level one time.
For me, that is not a true Auto Reset Chip. It only does the same, as if you dismiss the empty cartridge warning on the printer.

Sorry
Even if you read carefully you are fooled.

These chips are not auto resetable!
*polite cough*.

Just a gentle redirect here... You are actually agreeing with each other so nobody is being a "fool". Most a case of language differences and understanding needing a little more work.

As you've both noted these are not ARC chips and the manufacturers/sellers are trying to be clever by misusing the acronym/terminology as a marketing tool. Short version, as you both say... They are lying.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Realy sorry
No offence intended!
Should have written: 'Even though I read carefully I was fooled!'

Can't we find a way to do a reset (show ink level)?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Can't we find a way to do a reset (show ink level)?
I've been asking (read: bugging the heck out of) the folk who make the REdSETTER and unfortunately the protection on the 580/581 from a protection POV has massively changed since the 570/571 and equivalent from other zones. As a result the process for getting chips to reset, coupled with the R&D cost annnd the likely return from same is less than appealing.

Even the Chinese compatible market are seeing far more potential from single use chips for the compatible cartridge market than from refillers so they don't seem to be too inclined to put the time into developing ARC's either.

Short version: It's not looking likely...

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Short version: It's not looking likely...
Pls allow me asking (trying to understand the technic).
The none ARC chip QC5806 will the first time show ink level and red-cros empty. Refilled it will show full a number of prints and then after a specified number of times, the printer reminds you of printouts for replacement (filling). Ink level will show full.

Where is the counting comming from and how is this counter reset (after refill)?

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
They write it in their description:
"Diese Tintenpatronen sind mit (Auto) Reset Chips bestückt. Sie zeigen nur bei der ersten Verwendung den Füllstand der Patronen an. Danach werden sie vom Drucker als voll erkannt, zeigen den Füllstand aber nicht mehr an."

IMO this is better than disabling ink monitoring, with eventual side effects as more frequent cleaning cycles (as far as I know only documented in the PRO-1).
On a Canon printer with cartridges showing always full you have the same as an Epson with chipless firmware.
Not bad at all.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
IMO this is better than disabling ink monitoring, with eventual side effects as more frequent cleaning cycles (as far as I know only documented in the PRO-1).
On a Canon printer with cartridges showing always full you have the same as an Epson with chipless firmware.
Not bad at all.
In confuse speak, they indicate that it is a one time use chip but you can continue to use them when they go to empty. What they fail to describe is that can only be done AFTER performing a disable chip.

I've spent several months testing these and all forms of testing going back to the x50-x51 up to the x80-x81. Canon has systematically played with ink content aspects inside the printers and also refined their printheads in the x80-x81 series.

Going forward Canon still allows the ability to disable chips...only because their tank technology requires it in order to allow the consumer to use "all" the ink contained. If they ( consumer) don't like the idea then they must move to a built in tank option.

Epson also allows the built in tank option and because their technology in the printer does not like empty tanks, over the years they have refined their operations in the printer where metering is more precise. I predict chipless software will only exist for the older models and those caught in the cusp of changeover to the new mantra. Epson will surely restrict access to the firmware. So the chipless option will likely be shortlived.

Better days are not ahead as far as purchasing a "good and cheap" and refilling it for peanuts. Unfortunately printers do not last forever so the ability to step back and purchase "good old used" has a limited time window.

It is not that Canon is targetting the little refiller user like on this board. Their target is the commerciial remanufacturer who can collect and remanufacture OEM tanks and perhaps have a higher profit on a tank sale than Canon themself per unit when the overhead cost is factored in. Of course the price for that is what people are experiencing now on refilling and more environmental waste. Now a reasonable question is what other choice do they have?

Now take a look at this.... https://www.rtmworld.com/news/canon-to-be-sued-by-japanese-remanufacturer/

https://www.therecycler.com/posts/canon-to-be-sued/
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13868980

I chuckled at the news. There are ONE TIME use alternatives, so the monopoly claim hold water like a sponge. Canon modifies the chip like Epson once did but they stop at a point where they allow override. We saw hints of that in the CLI-42 override 8 years ago. One actually would wonder whether Canon licensed their chip ( one time) to the aftermarket because the one time chips are not "cheap". It is a good alternative that skirts issues because it does allow alternatives thereby no monopoly issues. A parallel to this is the legislated offering to telecommunications where the large players must rent out part of their infrastructure to smaller players to offer alternatives, Epson however, has taken a more aggressive route with unique serial keys per OEM tank. Even in the contruction and application of the OEM chip, changing out the chip, replacing and reusing the tank is not easy....for a reason.

Now that the Pro-200 and Pro-300 has been announced. What should one expect. Well opaque tanks are a done deal. However the OEM ink tanks have been reduced in cost and the chips?????????? So Canon has done the thing that was heard all the time in the past. " I will purchase a more expensive printer as long as I have a less costly ink" Will this be a EDSEL moment? Epson bought none of that in the P700 on the other hand. Interesting times. Canon Pro-300 OEM ink is substantially lower in cost than the Epson P700 offering.

And as best I can determine, I don't seem to be experiencing too many maintenance cycles when I override the chips but to perform a one to one would be difficult, and a huge time consumer. There are still x70-x71 based printers kicking around if one looks hard enough and resetters and ARC are available for these,

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I chuckled at the news.
I did, too, because it is a garbage claim. However, I give it an A for audacity.

There are still x70-x71 based printers kicking around if one looks hard enough and resetters and ARC are available for these,
Saved the best for last. :)

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
In confuse speak, they indicate that it is a one time use chip but you can continue to use them when they go to empty. What they fail to describe is that can only be done AFTER performing a disable chip.

I've spent several months testing these and all forms of testing going back to the x50-x51 up to the x80-x81. Canon has systematically played with ink content aspects inside the printers and also refined their printheads in the x80-x81 series.
Pls look at #16 and tell if you have tested x80-x81?
Why can't I read out the chip in a full catridge and copy the data to the chip of an empty cartridge with QC5806 chip?
If the printer can read the chip why can't I on a computer?

IMO the tank printers from Canon have poor picture quality (only 4 color).