Bulk ink for Canon CLI-551 and CLI-581

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
I've just got refillable cartridges of this type.
At the same time I got some ink by the name of 'ink-mate' from patronenprofis.de.
The yellow ink is very weak in the color (none vivid) and the pictures come out too red.
Is there any manufactor who make ink more like the original from Canon or can any manufactor/supplier be suggested?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You can try to dial in a better color match using the manual settings in your printer's driver. Forum member @PeterBJ has a great post on one method:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/compatible-cartridges-and-colour-cast.10956/

You could purchase a ColorMunki or spectrophotometer and make your own printer-paper-ink specific ICC Printer Profile. This is the ultimate color management solution if not using either OEM inks or photo papers. It is also the most expensive solution.

You could, as you've suggested, use a different inkset (or maybe just the Yellow ink). Octoinkjet out of England is a refiller's website run by trusted forum member @websnail. Refill ink is listed for both your printer - not surprisingly because they use the same cartridge. You might want to contact websnail here or on his Octoinkjet web site and explain your situation and ask his opinion.

https://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/*-Canon-Printer-Products/iP-Series/Pixma-iP7250/

https://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/*-Canon-Printer-Products/iP-Series/Pixma-iP7250/

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
We've got a few options here.

Going backwards we've got the Octopus Office 581 inks to cover that and we're likely going to get other ink from them moving forward but right now we're still playing with cleaning 581 cartridges and seeing if they'll work for other folks printers (happy to accept willing guinea pigs for this).

For the 551, we have a number of options:
- Our existing 551 inks which we're retiring but the Cyan, Yellow and Magenta are still working well (Black and Grey weren't the best sadly).
- Our hybrid CLI-42 ver2 inks which we made available for those who wanted the better fade resistance and colour improvements.
- A new ink set we've just sourced in that will be replacing our older 551 inks. It's not bottled yet but you're welcome to try some if you want to play.

Happy to let you have a sample of each of the 551 options in return for a donation to International Red Cross or your local food bank.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for the replies. They helped very much.
But also open two other questions:
a. Why clean 581 catridges when refillable with auto reset are available (original cartridges are black)?
b. Can I use Octopus Office 581 ink as 551 ink? (what will happen if I do?)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
But also open two other questions:
a. Why clean 581 catridges when refillable with auto reset are available (original cartridges are black)?
Can you point me to those ARC equipped cartridges...
You may find that they are being sold as "Refillable" but that the chips are actually single use chips that will act as OEM chips later on.

b. Can I use Octopus Office 581 ink as 551 ink? (what will happen if I do?)
You could but the colour results will be "off". We haven't done it but there's no reason to think the inks won't work, just that they won't look right.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Further to my suspicion about the "ARC chips" being available for the 581 I did some digging and found that those marked as ARC's are in fact something else..

Case in point:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000329091078.html

1604443372340.png

1604443381779.png

That's cheeky as hell and frankly it's miss-selling given that they want to charge three times more than the honest single-use chip types that do the exact same thing.

There's a few others on Aliexpress professing they have ARC's for cheaper but I'll wager if you ask for more info they'll admit they aren't actually resettable.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I found theese:
https://led-lampe24.de/druckerzubeh...derbefuellbare-patronen-canon-pgi-580-cli-581.
I haven't tried them yet - i'm just filling for first time use.
I've tried the same manufactors 551cartridge and have done one refill with automatick reset.
(I emptied the cartridge, by use, and ligth vent red. Refilled, inserted and light showed full on my IP7250).
The cartridges look the same, but the chip - I don't know.
Maybe I should buy a TS705 just for testing?

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The problem is that the 550/551 and even the 570/571 encryption was resolved for compatible chips whereas Canon took the 580/581 to the next generation, or so the scuttle butt style rumours indicate. So, it's a false equivalence to say that the existence of 550/551 ARC's from a manufacturer means that their 580/581 offering functions the same.

Ultimately it comes down to whether you're willing to accept a full set swap scenario that errs on the side of caution with cartridge replacement (ie: having a policy of changing cartridges every X prints or every Y weeks).

Personally, were it me I'd be looking at alternatives... Incidentally I started playing with a G2500 that I was able to resurrect and boy howdy that was a welcome and unexpected surprise in printing...

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
These are also only with a onetime ARC. If they work good, the advantage is that they are not black.
I expect you know, but how do you know?
Have you tried? because than I don't have to.
According to the instructions the reset will only take place if the cartridge have shown empty (red).