Bulk ink for Canon CLI-551 and CLI-581

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here. This applies equally/identically to OEM and One time use "so called permanent" chips on all x5x, x7x, and x8x tanks.
Tested this on multiple machines.

Attachments

• REFILLING THE CANON OEM SETUP TANKS.pdf
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 295

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
Here. This applies equally/identically to OEM and One time use "so called permanent" chips on all x5x, x7x, and x8x tanks.
Tested this on multiple machines.
Sorry - but here is no answer to my question.
IMO Too old information.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You are indeed a little confused.
The x51 cartridges are likely to have ARC chips on them. So the method of removing and replacing should effect a reset if they are indeed ARC chips.

The X81 tanks will never reset on the other hand. So you will need to go about the disable ink monitoring for these.

The printhead number has NOTHING to do with these effects.

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
You are indeed a little confused.
The printhead number has NOTHING to do with these effects.
Sorry - I know I'm very confused.
Simple cli-581only questions:
- What data is saying 'cartridge not filled, first time' and how does the printer know?
- How does the printer know (and remembers) that this cartridge have once before been filled and emptied (for the rest of the cartridge lifetime)?
- How does the cartridge know it has been emptied, is the chip coded in any way?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I know I'm very confused.
Simple cli-581only questions:
- What data is saying 'cartridge not filled, first time' and how does the printer know?
- How does the printer know (and remembers) that this cartridge have once before been filled and emptied (for the rest of the cartridge lifetime)?
- How does the cartridge know it has been emptied, is the chip coded in any way?
1. The chip contains memory registers or stored data. As the printer uses the cartridge, it writes or modifies the data on the chip.
2, It does not have to remember it simply looks at the data on the chip. It reads it and it says a certain value and it knows.
3. Cartridges NEVER know they are empty. If you take full unused tank and empty the ink, it is empty. If you install the tank into a printer, the chip still says FULL. But is it? So why? because the chip says it is full and the contents on the chip has not been modified or used yet.

CHIPS are stupid things and have NO, None, devoid, incapable of actually sensing any liquid.

People have been bamboozled by printer mfrs to thinking they have sensing chips. All they are is a scratchpad.
However access to the scratchpad or erasing pages on the scratchpad is blocked by newer schemes. Some areas in the scratchpad are actually destroyed and that can easily tell a printer, it is used.

If I burn a page inside a book, will anyone know the book is somehow used?

Last edited:

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
1. The chip contains memory registers or stored data. As the printer uses the cartridge, it writes or modifies the data on the chip.
2, It does not have to remember it simply looks at the data on the chip. It reads it and it says a certain value and it knows.
3. Cartridges NEVER know they are empty. If you take full unused tank and empty the ink, it is empty. If you install the tank into a printer, the chip still says FULL. But is it? So why? because the chip says it is full and the contents on the chip has not been modified or used yet.
That is why I'm confused.
At pkt. 1 you say 'Stored'
At pkt. 3 you say 'modified'
Question:
How is the printer modifying/storing data (in the chip)?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
EDIT
Looks like mikling answered the questions while I was typing mine. I get the feeling that Hugorm may be asking for more information on the chip instruction set than available to us. :idunno

Do you know if I with QC5806 can expect the second scenario and see a 'EMPTY' signal from the printer?
I have no idea about this chip or how it functions. You need to get explicit clarification from the seller on if his chip is actually an ARC chip or a single use only chip. If it is an ARC chip then the seller needs to clarify exactly how the chip functions.

The printer tells you the cartridge is "empty" when the printer pops up the window on your monitor that says you need to replace the cartridge and shows the red "X" over/above the cartridge. This is when you would remove the cartridge, refill, and then reinsert the cartridge back into the print head. An ARC chip will then reset the chip to register the cartridge as "new", ie filled.

It is up to you to properly refill the cartridge. The chip and printer have no idea whether there is an adequate amount of ink to last until the chip/printer decides when it is empty. The chip/printer doesn't know if there is any ink in the cartridge.

Supplier say:
"If the printer asks you to replace a cartridge, you should remove this cartridge and refill ink. When it is reinserted, the printer automatically detects the cartridge, but no longer shows the fill level. Nevertheless, the printer reminds you of printouts for replacement (filling) after a specified number of times. However, we recommend checking occasionally whether there is still enough ink in the cartridges and, if necessary, refilling it early."
This does NOT sound like an ARC chip. This sounds like the built in function of a Canon printer to OVERRIDE the Empty Cartridge message to continue to use the cartridge without ink level monitoring. If this is true then the seller left out of his statement that there is a button press in order to override the ink level monitoring.

If all the alleged ARC chip does is bypass you manually overriding ink level monitoring then these chips are a waste of money since you can do this on your own with the OEM cartridges you already own.

Again, clarify with the seller if these are true ARC chip or single use chips. Otherwise, look elsewhere, which is what I would do as the seller seems to be unclear in his descriptions.

Last edited:

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
EDIT
Looks like mikling answered the questions while I was typing mine. I get the feeling that Hugorm may be asking for more information on the chip instruction set than available to us. :idunno
Thank you for all the answers.
As I read, the QC5806 chip is unknown.
Pls allow a question:
When/if I get a ink level 'switch off'/'disable' signal, will I later be able to reenable ink level checking or is this 'disable' allso a 'one time' item?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
You'll be able to enable it again if you insert a new OEM Canon cartridge or, possibly, a compatible 'fresh' chip (i.e. that hasn't been declared empty )

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've now tested a refillable cartridge from led-lampe24.de indicated as 'auto reset'.
These cartridges for cli-581 are NOT 'auto reset'. They are not even resetable!

Test was done with a yellow cartridge on a TS705.
When empty the printer is indicating that the refilled cartridge is a reused OEM, and level still show empty (should have said: full for ever after).