Brand New Epson R1800 clog problem

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Mike,... Thanks for the information about the paper edge sensor. I was not aware there was one on the printhead carriage.

Without taking the covers off, the best view I can get of the 1280 purge unit is with the top cover open. I also have the Epson service manual for this printer and it is extremely detailed. The purge unit sits inline with the horizontal movement of the printhead. It dose not show any capability of movement from left or right. The pads can clearly move up and down. The exploded view of the purge does not show any wiping mechanism. However, it does show a part that is call the "Absorber, Slider, Cap". I have check in my printer and this part is "NOT There". I can't tell what the function would be but it can't have anything to do with wiping the bottom of the head because the head can't travel that far to the right. My printer is the Epson 1280Silver, and the print specifications are much higher density than the original 1280 printer. I also have a separate "Exploded View pdf" of the Silver model and the absorber part is not there.

If anyone has any more information about this model of the 1280 I would appreciate your experience. I have not had any reason to take this printer apart, so there is alot I don't know about it.

Mike,... I will take the opportunity to switch back to the other ink cart just to see what will happen. I have a feeling that it will print poorly since it has been refilled about 3 times.

By the way,... I just finished taking apart 2 older HP Deskjet printers and cleaning them and then putting them back together. They worked perfect. The Purge unit, or Service Station as HP calls it, contains a gear driven wiper assembly that is pretty elaborate with multiple wiper blades. It has all the functions that the Canon Purge unit contains and seems to do a good job. This old printer had printer 30,401 pages and is still going strong. Of course it gets a new printhead each time the ink runs out. Of course HP is still selling ink for this old guy at $19 for the black and $30 for the tri-color. The ink carts seem to take refilling without a problem. Of course you can't buy any parts or manuals for these old printers but they are still around and still "Ticking".

Epsonuser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
Here's what the inside of the R1800 cartridge looks like. Beautiful design.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/mikord/2007-12-0715-17-52_0099.gif

Judging by its complexity, you're getting your money's worth. Wouldn't you say?
BTW that spring is the air vent sealing valve. Once you take this Epson cartridge out. It seals itself.

the air intake is on the opposite side through a filter!
Mikling...... the complex and " beautiful " design is Epson's attempt to prevent their cartridges from being refilled and is not for the benefit of the consumer. Am I getting my money's worth ? In Vancouver, Canada, a Epson r-1800 cartiage cost $17.99 + taxes = $20 each X 8 =$ 160
for a set. Each cartridge contains about 15ml of usable ink, x 8 =120ml, works out to $ 1.33 per ml. Compatiable 3rd party pigment ink for the R800/R1800 ranges from $0.10 to $0.16 per ml. That is why there is so much interest in 3rd party inks.