Brand New Epson R1800 clog problem

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Trigger, if you purchase new Epson cartridges or high quality compatibles filled using a vacuum chamber you are not likely to encounter trapped air bubbles in the foam. OEMs alll use vacuum chamber processes to fill their cartridges for this reason. You will find better professional refillers also using this process. I think fotofreek or ghswellsjr or someone also uses this process for refilling even his Canon cartridges.

On poor quality compatibles, I highly suspect they don't use a vacuum chamber and can sometimes trap air within the sponge.

The 1280 and prior generation were sponge based cartridges. The generation of printers forward of that became spongeless cartridges. My comments about refilling when the cartridges were in the printer are directed at newer printers using spongeless refillable cartridges of a particular design. Some spongeless refillable cartridges will leak out ink as soon as the plug is removed so you will need to check into whether this will or will not occur. You cannot refill spongebased cartridges in situ of the printer. You must remove them and take your chances on the results thereafter.

As to why Epson moved from sponge based cartridges to spongeless I cannot ascertain. However, once it dawns on you how the piezo head works you realize that once it is working perfectly and you have a solid continuous column of ink, you do not want to break that with a large bubble. As an analogy, a siphon can tolerate small air bubbles now and then. However, one sufficiently large will stop the siphon from working and will need to be reprimed. Thsi repriming process is the head cleaning.

As to refilling the Epson sponge cartridge I can tell you of this with 8 years of experience and more than 5 of those were bad years. I got into this when I first acquired my Epson 875DC and acquired a refill kit from MIS. The first refill was good. The second was OK but not as good as the first. The third refill had me concerned about clogging. After that it was downhill. I wasted more ink doing head cleanings than printing. Then I revisited the MIS instructions and they suggested a technique of pulling all the "Epson Foam" out by inserting the syringe and sealing the vents and having continuous draws. Did this work? a little better but I was still plagued by the "eternal clogs". I still didn't get it.
The spiral continued until I wasted so much ink I resorted to IMS refill inks from Costco principally because it was cheap but abhorrent colors but did I say cheap?. Then my Epson problem became worse. In all this time I did not repurchase a new set of cartridges. I insisted that I would refill my own. I did so many head cleanings that in no time I had my lights flashing and I didn't know or cared at that point what the waste ink counter was. I moved onto an HP932....lucky me, you say. Wrong. The HP78 color cartridge was just as bad about refilling. They are tricky. Then I started to spend time on the internet and found about how refill the 78 properly and what it took. I read tons of junk and tried lots of ways. None worked well as they would always give banding etc long before the ink levels were even half down. Then I discovered vacuum refilling and understood how the process works and was that ever a discovery. Suddenly the problems I encountered with my prior Epson all came to light. Those darn tiny bubbles. Then the bottom nozzle plate dropped off my HP78 and I discovered how princely a sum a new one was and went back to a used Epson R200........wanting to get a CISS. I got a poor example of that but that is another story.

At this point, Epson had already abandoned the sponge based cartridges so it didn't matter much to me other than when I got back into Epson printers again with my R200 I was now fully aware of the issues. With the Spongeless cartridges I could get them refilled without air BUT Epson's design made that difficult as they now intentionall designed their cartridges so it could not be refilled with a needle and sponge. Again, combing the internet yielded poor techniques and some were so fundamentally wrong in how you refill the cartridge it was laughable. This only reinforced my belief that you should not believe everything you read on the internet.

Now getting back to the sponge design. I once indicated that the Canon cartridge works with a semblance 3 way equilibrium point. The ink going down the to the printhead is balanced by the force of the ink being pulled up the sponge which is also balanced out by the vacuum within the tank side. It looks like Cannonfodder also bumped into this when he discovered or knew of something similar when he put his CISS tanks on springs thus maintaining that equlibrium through a wide range. In any case, I HYPOTHESIZE that as the foam in the cartridge empties, the equilibrium point on the Epson shifts markedly UNLIKE the canon because Canon has the reserve tank. Early refillables for the Epson were fashioned similar to the Canon cartridge. By having that tank, the equilirium point could be maintained. Without the tank, as the sponge empties, the force that hold the ink up becomes greater. When it is too large, we no longer have the sponge stopping ink from flowing out the head, we now have the opposite. As the sponge dries out or as the ink is used up, the sponge prevents the ink from being fed to the head. Now you smell trouble. You can do a head cleaning, pull the ink down and print some, use up some more ink and then put the printer to rest. Then the sponge ghost appears, he starts pulling ink BACK up into the sponge. The next time you use the printer, if you are lucky, the head gets reprimed. If you are not , you have "clogs".......empty firing chambers. In any case, this might be the first time you read of this and the explanation of the "Epson CLOG".

Oh, guess what? most compatibles are sponge based. So even if they are vacuum refilled, they may have this challenge posed to the fundamental design. Now think about the implications to the Epson clogs on the internet. Think this is not a contributing factor? Well I think so.

I suspect Epson knew this. Well I am assuming here in any case. I am sure that Epson's engineers knew of this issue with sponges and went all out with an attack on designing a good cartridge suited for the piezo head. This as I had displayed earlier on was the result. Actually, the R2200 was earlier and was more complicated, on the next generation they simplified it. ( the one illustrated.) With this design, it looks like the achieved many things. The first was constant level of vacuum to the head from full to empty. Prevention of refilling by needle and syringe ( well I beat them at that) and total sealing of the cartridge upon removal. The chip was put in out of necessity as they needed something that would prevent the printer from using empty cartridges and getting air in the head..ink level indicators was also a gimme here. But the marketers spun it into having the ability to remove cartridges and then remove them with the ink level indicators showing how much ink was left. At first I asked myself, who does that? until you look at the R2200 and the requirement to swap cartridges based on print media and see it was necessary. nevertheless, the marketers even brought this bonus into printers where this was not necessary.

The most significant feature of Epson's new spongeless design though was the constant pressure. Look carefully at the internals and if you are technical enough to understand fluid mechanics you'll see the ingenuity of it.

So to answer your question Trigger about breaking up those bubbles I suspect it would not work. However by all means go and try. Critical to the Epson is the surface tension of the ink as this is what is driving the pump nozzle.

Did Epson put in sponge cartridges to trap people..I don't think so. If anything it hit them as well thus forcing the requirement for a new design........................that traps people...............because it is so refillable they had to stop people somehow.

On the newest Epson cartridges, they put in actual physical ink level detectors to get around the issue that the amount of ink remaining is never quite perfectly predictable but is now with a on off level detector.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is the final installment for the thinking refiller.

The use of priming devices is not considered ideal for truly priming heads on foam based integrated head cartridges such as HP and Lexmark etc. The deep vacuum chamber method is considered superior if done properly. Priming devices will do the trick most times and considering their simplicity and cost are worthwhile additions to have within your arsenal of tools. Do not be misled because they can sometimes cause problems as much they solve. What is the issue with them. Well first, once you agree that all flows always take the path of least resistance, then the problem would possibly come to you. If the fit of the foam within the cartridge is not perfect, it is possible and it does happen from time to time, that when priming air is ingested via the sides of the foam cartridge interface, just like how air gets to the Canon tank.

Extend this thinking out a bit and you'll come to realize that in the Epson cartridge this priming takes place each time a head cleaning is performed as ink is literally sucked from the cartridge. So even if you are successful in refilling the Epson cartridge and ridding it of the air by using a deep vacuum chamber, upon insertion and multiple head cleanings, you may still find you're ingesting air and how come.

This does not seem to happen on brand new Epson cartridges nor perhaps the first one or two refills. Subsequent to that, you may find this cropping up. Again the thinking person will find a eerily similar issue as to why Canon cartridge/sponges need to be eventually purged. A thick layer of something builds up and changes the interface of the ink and sponge that makes releasing the ink difficult. So that on the Epson when ink is requested, it does not want to give it up and air is pulled from the sides instead and then makes its way to the head....resulting in the dreaded "so called clog".

I think Epson's move towards Spongeless designs was a HAVE TO DO to improve the reliability of their printers. The sponge based cartridge was a big achilles heel indeed.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Mike,... on previous page of this thread, Tinho challenged me to "Test" tlhe air bubble in the printhead by just installing a new cartridge. I'm not sure but I guess his thinking was that this was more of a ink starvation than air bubbles. Ink starvation in the ink cart is probalbly caused by air bubbles in the ink cart. After all the initial test ing I had done, I was ready to agree that this looked more like "INKSTar" (I'll create a new acronme) becuase of the way it acted. One second I would have a full Magenta color bar, and the next second there would be nothing. Later I would have BCM excellent nozzle test but none or broken c,m, patterns. Then I would print another color bar test and there would be no Cyan or Photo Cyan, but solid Magenta + good yellow.

So to help gain more knowledge on what is really happening I did as I said I was going to do. I use the Syringe and injected 2-3 drops of alcohol into each printhead tube. I have seen clear evidence that alcohol will eliminate tiny bubbles trapped in a chamber. After this I ran a nozzle check and the pattern was back to what it has always been since I started this effort,.... good BCM, but very poor c, and blank m, but good Y. I printed a bar test to purge the printhead of any left over Alcohol, and the did a cleaning cycle. Another nozzle check,...same as before,.. no change what so ever.

So on to the next test, replace the Epson ink cart with a new vendor cart. Of course the Printer did an automatic clean once I coaxed it into accepting the Vendor ink cart, and then I did the 1st nozzle test. The B was good, C was 95%, M was 70%, Y 90%, Pc 100%, Pm 100%. A lot different from the other ink cart. I did one more cleaning cycle and the nozzle check was then perfect. Then I printed a full photograph which came out without any streaks or banding anywhere. The colors were terrible but tha is vendor ink.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
So what is your conclusion?

Q.E.D.?

Remember, air can be in the head or within the cartridge. If it is a new Epson cartridge the likelihood is small that it was in the cartridge. If it is a new one that is spongeless, the likelihood that air was in the cartridge is smaller still.

I guess from now on, you know what to do and how to prevent it. I would recommend adapting a CISS for the 1280 using the older sponge cartridges you have and taking your time to purge the air out. This is the most important step, getting the air out of the sponges. If you don't, despite having a CISS you will have random banding and shooting blanks. However, once it has "settled in" with all air eliminated, it's a workhorse.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Mike,... I had not drawn final conclusions. The whole point of this test was not to jump to any conclusions but to identify what the real problem is, then associate it in positive ways with the symptoms such that the next time someone has a problem we can tell them what it is and how to fix it in one paragraph.

So going back, I started with symptoms that could have been a clog, because I could not get a good nozzle check. There is no way now to confirm what it was. but I was not getting a good nozzle pattern from the Photo Magenta, even after several cleanings. I assumed that the ink level indicator was wrong and pulled out the ink cart and refilled all colors of ink. This was the original Epson T009 ink cart that I have refilled twice before. When I refilled the cart I noticed that the ink monitor must have been correct as none of the colors took as much as 5ml of ink without overflow. I returned the ink cart and ran a cleaning cycle, and printed a nozzle check. There was virtually no change, the Pm did not show any nozzles at all and some of the others were also bad.

In several more printings of color bar charts, things were very inconsistant. Sometimes there would be no magenta but it would be there 100% next time. Sometimes it would show a perfect nozzle check of B, Cyan, and Magenta, but when I would print a Bar, there would be no Cyan. This is when I found your first post on this thread and we went deep into the discussion that this was a symptom of "Air Bubbles" in the printhead. I agreed with that because you were so convincing about it. In the back of my head I felt it looked more like ink starvation but because it was so irratic, it couldn't really be inkSTAR because it would come and go for each color. That is not inkSTAR,.. that is something else. Then TinHo suggest we do the test with a new ink cart and of course that fixed the problem.

So, since the ink carts were full to the top and I was getting very irratic print results, and we confirmed the problem was not "Bubbles" in the printhead, the answer must be there were "Bubbles" in the ink cart. It many not be "Bubbles", but simply trapped air. When I inject the ink it must have trapped air in pockets that move around with the cleaning cycles and with forced printing. I did notice that when I selected "Higher Quality Printing" as opposed to "Speed", I would get a significant different results.

So the answer is, the problem all along was trapped air in an refilled Epson ink cart. So the question now is,..."How to get the trapped air out of the ink carts?" and Is there a refill process than can minimise trapping air.

I don't want to discuss the option of CISS systems. I don't print sufficient Photos to ever want one. I was perfectly happy refilling Epson ink carts. I need to know what I did wrong that helped create the air trap, and how to get rid of one if I get another. I have several low cost compatible Epson ink carts but I can tell the ink is no match for the PrecisionColors ink I have been using. I also have some spongless ink carts that I have never used because of the difficulty ink "Priming" them. The key advantage to them was that they were easy to refill while still installed in the printer. Then I discovered that the 1280Silver model I have has a closed lid on the ink carts and it is not possible to refill anything while the ink carts are installed. If I wanted to I could do some surgery on the cover to allow refilling. This may be a last resort if I can't find a better way.

I believe you said that arter 2-3 refills, the sponge breaks down and something changes to the point that tend to create air gaps or somehow the clogs inside the ink cart. Again, this would be where the "Spongless ink Carts" would be the solution. I've never figured out how to fill the spongless carts in the first place and get all the air out of them. The insides are not anywhere near as complicated as the Epson design and for the life of me I can't see how any air could get trapped in there. However, because of the valve getting this ink cart "Primed" is still a worry.

IF you have suggestions I would reall appreciate the information.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
If your cartridges are sponged cartridges you do not want the sponge to be completely full of ink. Ink will leak out from some nozzles. The leaked ink on the bottom of the print head can easily block some nozzles from shooting pico liter sized ink droplets causing missing colors or clogging symptoms. The irratic symptom you described matches the symptom of a leak of ink on the bottom of the print head. Because you can not see the bottom of the print head so this is not easy to prove. But you can experiment to suck some ink out of each sponge (to let air in).

All sponged cartridges have air in the sponges. When ink is being used air gets in. So the the theory of air in the sponge is not very logical to me.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Trigger,
It looks like you blazed the same path I had travelled with my 875DC and the Epson Foam cartridges. I have outlined a way that is used to refill foam cartridges properly and that is with a deep vacuum chamber refill machine, examples of these are available from people such as SAGE and Inkprocess. However, considering that the small amount of printing that you perform on the 1280, to even fabricate one as a DIY could be not worth the while unless you take it up as a challenge.

I use a commercial GAST double diaphragm vacuum pump to pull the vacuum and can pull greater than 25 inches of Hg.
You need something similar. I am told that some kitchen vacuum bag sealing machines are able to pull that as well but I cannot confirm that. The next step would be to find a chamber that will seal and not collapse and then find the bulkhead fittings etc. That is all more work than a CISS.

The problem is the foam in the Epson cartridge or similar cartridges as the ink is used up. After repeated dry and refill cycles I am led to believe that microbubbles are trapped under the residue. These bubbles are then released when new ink is reintroduced and dissolves the residue. I am not sure about this but is just a hunch.

Why do I think so? I performed the following experiment. I took an empty cartridge and placed into the vacuum chamber and evacuated it. There was no foam. I refilled the cartridge whilst in the chamber under the vacuum. No foam. then I release the vacuum. Waited a bit and then placed it in the chamber again. Foam began emanating from the cartridge. I had to perform this two to three times before I had dissipated the foam. So the question one would have to ask is where is this foam coming from? Furthermore, the foam was very fine...more like froth.

I have stated before that refilling once or twice with needle can yield acceptable results but thereafter it goes downhill. I wouldn't bother with that fight anymore. The generation of printers using these foam based cartridges are way past their prime and efforts to solve that issue would yield hardly any benefits. Especially with spongeless refillable cartridges now available.

I would suggest using the refillables you have and prime them with a syringe and appropriate tip by pulling ink through the system and reusing it as opposed to pulling it and depositing it in the inkpad where it would be wasted.

I have some T007 and T008 refillables that I no longer need and you can have those if you want. I no longer have any use for these.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Trigger,
It looks like you blazed the same path I had travelled with my 875DC and the Epson Foam cartridges. I have outlined a way that is used to refill foam cartridges properly and that is with a deep vacuum chamber refill machine, examples of these are available from people such as SAGE and Inkprocess. However, considering that the small amount of printing that you perform on the 1280, to even fabricate one as a DIY could be not worth the while unless you take it up as a challenge.

I use a commercial GAST double diaphragm vacuum pump to pull the vacuum and can pull greater than 25 inches of Hg.
You need something similar. I am told that some kitchen vacuum bag sealing machines are able to pull that as well but I cannot confirm that. The next step would be to find a chamber that will seal and not collapse and then find the bulkhead fittings etc. That is all more work than a CISS.

The problem is the foam in the Epson cartridge or similar cartridges as the ink is used up. After repeated dry and refill cycles I am led to believe that microbubbles are trapped under the residue. These bubbles are then released when new ink is reintroduced and dissolves the residue. I am not sure about this but is just a hunch.

The sponge doesn't break down, something is happening at the sponge-ink interface. If the sponge broke down then new stored EPSON cartridges would cause real blockages when used after expiry but they simply don't.

Why do I think so? I performed the following experiment. I took an empty cartridge and placed into the vacuum chamber and evacuated it. There was no foam. I refilled the cartridge whilst in the chamber under the vacuum. No foam. then I release the vacuum. Waited a bit and then placed it in the chamber again. Foam began emanating from the cartridge. I had to perform this two to three times before I had dissipated the foam. So the question one would have to ask is where is this foam coming from? Furthermore, the foam was very fine...more like froth.

I have stated before that refilling once or twice with needle can yield acceptable results but thereafter it goes downhill. I wouldn't bother with that fight anymore. The generation of printers using these foam based cartridges are way past their prime and efforts to solve that issue would yield hardly any benefits. Especially with spongeless refillable cartridges now available.

I would suggest using the refillables you have and prime them with a syringe and appropriate tip by pulling ink through the system and reusing it as opposed to pulling it and depositing it in the inkpad where it would be wasted.

I have some used T007 and T008 refillables that I no longer need and you can have those if you want. I no longer have any use for these.

The reason you get better results under high quality is that the density of the dots increase. this density is achieved by moving the paper less for each stroke of the printhead. By having this happen, you might now have missed dots that are finer and now adjacent dots that are printed with another nozzle that is shooting. The effect is that it is less noticeable as the missing dots are now more broadly dispersed.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Mike, TinHO,.... I want to take back the last post I made. I jumped the gun again. Because the nozzle check looked good and the bars print looked good I felt the problem was solved. But late last night when I tested it one more time, what I saw was that there were no streaks in the bar chart but the colors were totally wrong and it turned out there was no yellow at all. Where the Magenta bar should be is a pink bar, nothing even close to Magenta. I'll scan the print and upload it.
Now when I do a nozzle check, there is practically no Magenta nozzles at all and no yellow, but now the Pc, and Pm are OK.

If I go around in a circle one more time I think my head will break off. Here is the bar chart.

And here is the nozzle check.

You can see that the magenta printed in the nozzle check did not print but the yellow did print perfect. However, in the bar chart the Magenta is the 4th bar from the top and the photo magenta is the 5th bar, and you can see it is really not magenta at all. The sixth bar was supposed to be yellow and it is missing. These two prints were done 30 seconds apart. This ink cart is a new Vendor cart. The black ink cart is the original Epson T007 refilled.

What I can understand is how it can switch back and forth.