Bottom line for epson Artisan 835 so many choices so few solid answers

titus1972

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have an Epson 835 and A CIS system properly installed and it works great if you don't consider the fact that the colors being printer are not the color represented in the actual graphic or photo being used. I have been seeking answers to this dilemma for months now. I even recently picked up a Colormunki Photo Color Profile creator for screen and printer (1st post sorry cant link) but needless to say it is a good one that should correct the color issues. It didn't, the color spectrum was poorly rendered and the ink steaks and smears on darker images during printing. I have really researched and tried to pick a better ink but I am scarred to throw more money at this problem without more confidence in the ink I will use. I am in Canada (pacific Coast and most choices in ink are either in the US or eastern Canada.) As I said the system work well but I must get the right ink for this printer. Would you believe the printing got worse after I used my $600 color profile not better? I know it is capable of printing well because the factory inks worked flawlessly. Is there underlying tech in this printer that makes the use of a CIS system untenable? Everyone (ink companies) tell me their ink is the one but there is no better teacher than experience. Any advice on specific inks in Canada or the US if must outsource across the border.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I am running an Artisan 725 with a CISS and inks from Precision Colors ( Mikling in this forum can help you )
I also use a ColorMunki Photo and I can get very good prints printing from my ColorMunki calibrated Laptop through Qimage.

titus1972

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
OK I have my ink from precision Color through eBay. Any suggestions on how to most effectively get the old ink out of the cis tanks. I received small bottles of replacement dye ink but I don't know how to get the olds stuff out without getting air in the lines. I am prepared to flush out any remaining ink in the lins It's just the tanks are still over half full and I don't care about the old ink it worthless as far as I am concerned. I am sure someone has swapped out inks (dye for dye) before your advice would be most helpful.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Do you know how to properly use ICC profiles? I do not mean to question you but often it is a simple matter of the user double profiling = letting the Application AND the printer driver control color.

Have a look here: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/how-to-use-icc-color-printer-profiles.html

You really should be getting near perfect printing after profiliong with the Color Munki assuming your inks are at least half way decent.

About the CISS you will have to physically flush it completely out of the old ink. But don't do it just yet. Take a look at those tutorials.

If your inks are smearing and you have other than double profiling problems, it might something to do with your CISS. They are very sensitive to height in relation to the print head height.

titus1972

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for the icc profile tutorial . This just confirms my issues. Well I don't see how black turning green can be the profile but believe me I have profiled and re-profiled many hours spent testing and tweaking on different pc's with different applications.It just was not happening, colors were off badly, flesh tones were poor as well. I thought the Colormunki would solve the issue but no. I was told that if the dye's viscosity did not match the print head's delivery technology things like smear and spatter were likely symptoms. I try to do my homework before asking questions but I really am at a loss on this one. My tanks sit on the same shelf as the printer and it seems to be working well. Thanks for the advice. I will keep working until I beat this or until my head exploded, which ever comes first.

titus1972

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
So I was thinking about some kind of over-sized syringe to remove the old ink (most) before I put this new ink in. Any suggestions?

titus1972

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Sorry I need 5 posts to respond to a pm please disregard. Thanks.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Titus wrote: "Any suggestions on how to most effectively get the old ink out of the cis tanks. I received small bottles of replacement dye ink but I don't know how to get the olds stuff out without getting air in the lines."
I also faced this problem once and I took a chance and just filled the bottles with the new inks since they were both dye based inks and it went well for me!
I never even noticed any change, the ink just mixed in with the old and different brand and there was no evidence that I had done anything.
That was my experience and I'm not saying that it was the best way to go but for me it worked out fine!

fraqtl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Basically, to remove the old inks, just grab a syringe and suck as much out as you can, then run a head clean. The put the new ink in and run a few more head cleans (hey, ink is cheap through a CISS) and your new ink should be starting to feed through just fine. That's all you can really do.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I used the draw through adapter on a syringe (or SquEasyfill bottle)

- push into the cartridge exit hole
- draw out as much of the ink as possible
- flush with distilled water if I have any concerns about the old ink (algae potential?, etc..)
- draw out as much of the distilled water as possible
- re-prime the cartridge/tubing with the new ink..
- flush through with new ink for at least 20ml per colour and then dump back into the appropriate reservoir so any small amounts of remaining distilled water are mixed thoroughly.

So much the same as fraqtl but with a but more detail...