borderless printing

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok here we go again maybe? i am scanning 4x6 color photos at 600 dpi. the image on my monitor is correct to the photo scanned. when i go to print regardless if it is elements 6 or windows print wizard i get a message that you have selected borderless printing the document to be printed is enlarged so that it slightly extends off the paper and the result is that there is a little clipping. if i do not select borderless the photo is correct but i then have a border. the photo that i scan is borderless. uggggh how do i scan a borderless photo and print it borderless without losing any of the image. MP990 windows XP elements 6

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You really can't. Unless you figure out exactly home much image is actually being clipped, then you could add white dead space around the image file and hope that only the extra White is lost due to over printing. Good luck with that!

The best and SURE way is to print it centered onto a larger paper and trim to the image's edge. 4x6 image centered onto 5x7 paper and print.
You will always loose a bit of the image, as it is a nessecity of printing borderless.
I find it hard to believe that your picitures you are scanning are ruined due to slight cropping.
You can always reduce the amount of overprinting on some printers, though not all.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
the photos are not ruined, but i would like to make an exact copy, i will look into adjusting the amount of over printing

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well the only way to an exact copy is to print 4x6 onto larger paper and trim. You cannot insure that the paper positioning and tracking will be perfectl That is the very reason why the driver expands the image when printing borderless. If you do not, you will likely always get a little sliver of white on one of the paper edges.

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The borderless printing overspray fills the waste ink pads more quickly and increases the rate the waste ink counters go up

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yup! No borderless printing for me!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman said:
The best and SURE way is to print it centered onto a larger paper and trim to the image's edge.
4x6 image centered onto 5x7 paper and print.
mrelmo

Even if you do what Jtoolman suggests by printing on 5 x 7 and trimming your photo back to its original size,
youll still lose a little when you cut into the edge to remove the white area.. :(

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The Hat, but it should be a wee bit better that what the OP is trying to achinece by calculating the amount of auto enlargement, overspray and or pre set white border. The printer simply cannot duplicate not perfectly feed and position the paper to that degree of accuaracy. SO I think if he is carefull he will mind a few molecules lost in the process.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The internal waste ink absorber is not affected by borderless but the accessible platen pad is. However, that pad is actually serviceable with the right equipment, With pigment ink printers, the pad that is often forgotten is the one on the left that actually accumulates a mound of pigment ink by the time a waste ink pad reset is called for. For dye ink, not a big issue.

I believe Qimage has a slightly better handle on borderless printing but no process is perfect since all involve a degree of overspray which cannot be avoided. If you build a layer template that simulates a 3d matte effect on the borders/edges , and don't print borderless, ti can be quite attractive actually.