Blurred/ faded horizontal line (only on certain colours) on Canon iX6850

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
Okay, so this may seem a silly question and I apologise in advance, but I'm lost at this point...

My printer is printing beautifully - for most colours - however some come out with a horizontal smudge/ fade about an inch from the bottom. (Photo attached).
I've tried everything I can possible think off, and cleaned everything I possibly can, to no avail. To note - I print directly from Adobe Illustrator, and have never encountered too many issues doing so.

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 17.41.34.png

I'm printing onto white matte photo paper, 210G.

Any advice and guidance as this point would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you so much.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If your paper is flat and not curved as PeterBJ posted then you could try increasing the gap/space between the print head and paper to prevent head strikes on the paper. In the following link see the Canon Desktop section to turn on Prevent Paper Abrasion:

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/inf...er-paper-thickness-platen-gap-adjustment.html

This may decrease the quality of the printed result. If so then set Print Quality to High (default is Standard).

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART124225

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
So I tried both things - thank you so much.
It's definitely made the print better on the smaller sizes, 5x7 etc with the line completely disappearing... but am still having the same issue with the larger A4, A3 sizes. Do you have any more suggestions?! Thanks again :)

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
So I just wanted to follow-up... see the line is still there, but way less pronounced. It seems to be worse with darker colours, although black does not have this issue? 🤯

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 09.41.52.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 09.41.52.png
    687 KB · Views: 293

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
Post a Nozzle check, and some history, because it sounds like a cartridge issue :barnie
Okay, thanks. Nozzle check attached.

This is a brand new printer, literally got it yesterday afternoon. Am currently using the cartridges it came with (but do have others available - also attached).

Also, I'm using 210G matt coated inkjet photo paper.
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 09.51.48.png
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 09.51.22.png

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The most likely suspects are the paper or the printer.

The paper size and weight is within Canon specs:

Paper Weight​

Plain Paper: 64 - 105 g/m²
Canon Photo Paper: up to 300 g/m² (PT-101)
It still could be the paper. Who makes the paper and how old is it? Try a different paper, possibly from a different manufacturer. The most obvious would be to try a Canon photo paper to eliminate any issues arising from a 3rd party paper.

It's definitely made the print better on the smaller sizes, 5x7 etc with the line completely disappearing..
This is new information and may be critical. You are having problems with different paper sizes and possibly weights. Maybe paper types as well. A full explanation of the issue is important for diagnosing from afar.

Paper curl may still be involved but the type of paper used may be reason. And it still could be a malfunctioning printer.

Besides trying a different paper, try a different app to print the image. Also, is there a defect in the image you are printing? If the defect does not always appear than this is probably not the issue. If you want, upload the image here so we can examine it.

Since this is a brand new printer and is under warranty, it might be wise to contact Canon Tech Support and discuss with them sooner rather than later if the issue is not resolved with the advice on the forum. If nothing else, you will set in motion a potential return/exchange if they deem the printer malfunctioning.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but am still having the same issue with the larger A4, A3 sizes. Do you have any more suggestions?! Thanks again
Another issue might be at play here, the printer may not be able to lay down sufficient ink from the cartridges continually, and is struggling to keep up with the correct output.

Try printing the image first as a light colour and then over print the image in the correct colour, this problem can occur on occasions when using Illustrator, it usually print out of CYMK. !

Or copy and paste your image into Photoshop and print it from there, the results may surprise you..

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
Is this phenomenon always in the same distance from the edge?
Can you here scratching of the printhead?
Open the cover of the printer during printing and watch when the effect occurs. Put a piece of paper in the little slot with the lever which detects the open cover.
Make sure that the paper is not bended when it comes out of the printer. Put something there so it stays flat till the end of the print.